• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not assuming anything, you are proving it.....You don't like Switzer so you wont give him any credit. In 4 seasons Switzer won one title, while Johnson won 2 in 9. We can even say 7 as JJ needed time to get things rolling.

was JJ an exceptional GM? Sure......Switzer had to deal with the other JJ as his GM. Any of this in dispute?

But that's none of my business.

what exactly did I prove? that Switzer was a clown in coach clothing...?

M'man, you DO love to argue...

but my point stands. damn near ANYBODY could've coached that Cowboys squad and got a title...

and I feel just about the same exact thing with Lue...

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 28,789.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. PG literally agreed to terms with OKC at 12:00:01am July 1st. The Lakers were trying to get Lebron and another top FA, so they couldn't commit any of their cap space to "fillers" until they knew who else they could get.

By the time they knew that no one else was coming, they were left with scraps.

Even with that, they were making it work. When the injuries started piling up, they now had to have a bunch of guys playing bigger roles than they were ever intended to play and for the most part, those players have shown why they were still available for 1 year deals.

Yep.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

but my point stands. damn near ANYBODY could've coached that Cowboys squad and got a title...

You proved when someone doesn't like a coach (like you with Switzer and Lue) he is incapable of giving him any credit but will blame him for anything that goes wrong.

switzer did coach them and got a title. Not "could've". At about the same rate as JJ, who most seem to think is a far better coach. And Johnson had himself as a GM while Switzer had Jones.

Can you refute any of this?

Ya gotta love the guys whose only argument winds up being "you really love to argue". Said while arguing of course.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ANYBODY could have coached that Cowboys squad & got a title? I disagree! tdgold88 couldn't have done that. He would've spent too much time yelling @ everyone to call any plays.:heh:

#unnamedsources

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 28,789.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter what role players were available on July 1st or 2nd. The Lakers couldn't go after them because they were still trying to land a top guy and needed to preserve the cap space.

Once the top guys were all gone, there were scraps left. This coming off-season, if they land a top guy, they should be able to get better role players because they will only be trying to get one top guy.

To be fair to your point though (and this speaks to the inexperience of Magic and Pelinka), I think they may have been so focused on Lebron that they forgot about at least contacting some of the better role players to see if they could get them to hold off until they had everything nailed down with Lebron.

They probably should have had Magic focusing on Lebron while Pelinka tried to make headway with some of the better role players.

Hopefully, they will learn from some of the things that have happened this year and do better going forward. The trades for Bullock and Muscala at least shows that they've learned something.

Exactly, they had to go after the big fish first and then fill in other positions after they landed the 2nd star, which they didn't.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You proved when someone doesn't like a coach (like you with Switzer and Lue) he is incapable of giving him any credit but will blame him for anything that goes wrong.

switzer did coach them and got a title. Not "could've". At about the same rate as JJ, who most seem to think is a far better coach. And Johnson had himself as a GM while Switzer had Jones.

Can you refute any of this?

Ya gotta love the guys whose only argument winds up being "you really love to argue". Said while arguing of course.

again, you attempt to bring my personal feelings into this...

Interesting approach...

obviously you need to bring SOMETHING else into the discussion when my point is bright as day...

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 28,789.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ANYBODY could have coached that Cowboys squad & got a title? I disagree! tdgold88 couldn't have done that. He would've spent too much time yelling @ everyone to call any plays.:heh:

#unnamedsources

Anybody can do those jobs on Twitter!!!!

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 28,789.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Epic burrito from Del Taco.

Chicken queso minus the pico.....wasn't too bad. First time trying the epic burrito.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, they had to go after the big fish first and then fill in other positions after they landed the 2nd star, which they didn't.

All the big fish were gone on July 1st. Had plenty of time to get better role players than what they settled for.

This wasn't one of the years where the top free agents did not sign until 3 or 4 days after start of free agency.

Lakers literally could have been reaching out to better role players late on July 1st. Pg already had resigned with OKC. Same for Paul and KD

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And McGee, Stephenson, and Beasley understood that.......why they

Anybody can do those jobs on Twitter!!!!

lol, fellas, I don't mind discussions, really...

But the lengths some people go to prove their "knowledge" to strangers...

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, you attempt to bring my personal feelings into this...

Interesting approach...

obviously you need to bring SOMETHING else into the discussion when my point is bright as day...
Ok, let's try this......

*Jimmy Johnson coached Dallas for 9 seasons and won 2 titles.
*Switzer coached them 4 years and won 1 title
*Johnson was an exceptional GM and was mostly responsible for picking his team
*Jerry Jones has had much less success as a GM and was picking Switzer's players
*There are coaches who have a ton of talent but don't win a title every 4 years
*Switzer is also known as an exceptional college coach

Please refute any of those comments or try and explain why they would make switzer a clown as a coach.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair to Magic and Pelinka, there wasn't a lot left, especially dependable shooters. They really didn't have a lot to choose from. Much of the talk was just trying to put lipstick on a pig. lol

I think the trades for Bullock and Muscala show that they realize that roster was flawed from the start and are trying to correct it.

I think we all knew that this roster, especially the 1 year guys, was just a bridge to next season and that if they lost anyone, especially Lebron, for any length of time, this is what we were in for.

Even fully healthy, they were likely never as good as the 4 seed they were sitting at when Lebron and Rondo went down and they aren't as bad as their current 10th seed either.

There is no being fair to them. They had options available. They went shopping in the dump by choice. I'm not even talking about missing out on top guys either. They had low money guys available like Seth Curry that they didn't even show real interest in. Then there's dumb shit like the fact they even signed Rondo to begin with when A) Lebron is your PG and B) You already had Lonzo who has those same skills and is younger and better. It's a bad fit right from the start because what Rondo does bring to the table (not much, and hasn't been for years) is already covered elsewhere on the roster. Or the fact that Brook Lopez, who was interested in coming back for the same money that they ended up giving to Beasley, was available yet they still went in another direction. I'm not in love with Brook Lopez but what's better? A viable NBA starting center that can rim run and shoot 3s (basically the ideal fit next to Lebron) or a noted knucklehead, low basketball IQ player that's spent most of his career bouncing between the NBA and China? The decision making was littered with easily identifiable question marks. They don't need excuses or explanations or any hindsight help to make it seem like their hands were tied. They just flat out screwed it up. Pretty much everyone last Summer knew what they were doing was dumb but them.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure I agree. In fact, I think many coaches would have failed to win a title considering the competition. Lue handily outcoached Kerr in 2016.

Some are saying that Lue did nothing, and that isn't entirely true. But, he did get out of the way and let his players do their thing. Some coaches make the mistake of overcoaching great players. Sometimes you just have to give them the ball in good spots and let them make plays.

Agree.

If we're being completely fair, we have no idea how good Lue really is because he took over a team that was ready to win right away. We also don't know how good Luke might be because he's never had a roster he could win with.

What we DO know is that, as you point out, Lue was smart enough to not overcoach them and we also know that he outcoached Kerr in 2016.

We also know that when Luke was the interim coach with the Warriors that he was smart enough to not fuck it up. But, since he's been a head coach, he's never had a roster that anyone could win with. When he finally got one that could get to the playoffs, it was undermined by injuries.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, fellas, I don't mind discussions, really...

But the lengths some people go to prove their "knowledge" to strangers...
Ya gotta love when this card is being played by the guy trying to prove their knowledge to strangers. Not doing very well, though, are ya little buckaroo.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, let's try this......

*Jimmy Johnson coached Dallas for 9 seasons and won 2 titles.
*Switzer coached them 4 years and won 1 title
*Johnson was an exceptional GM and was mostly responsible for picking his team
*Jerry Jones has had much less success as a GM and was picking Switzer's players
*There are coaches who have a ton of talent but don't win a title every 4 years
*Switzer is also known as an exceptional college coach

Please refute any of those comments or try and explain why they would make switzer a clown as a coach.

LMAO seriously...?

already gave you one from the giddyup...

but you just go on and keep up the "argument...

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the big fish were gone on July 1st. Had plenty of time to get better role players than what they settled for.

This wasn't one of the years where the top free agents did not sign until 3 or 4 days after start of free agency.

Lakers literally could have been reaching out to better role players late on July 1st. Pg already had resigned with OKC. Same for Paul and KD

Exactly. Not only that, they knew George was already not an option by that deadline. Everyone remembers the ESPN video series. Because of that, word had already gotten around he was staying. 2 weeks before the opening of FA there were reports from the Lakers themselves that they were moving on from George. They had plenty of time to go to other plans.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

If we're being completely fair, we have no idea how good Lue really is because he took over a team that was ready to win right away. We also don't know how good Luke might be because he's never had a roster he could win with.

What we DO know is that, as you point out, Lue was smart enough to not overcoach them and we also know that he outcoached Kerr in 2016.

We also know that when Luke was the interim coach with the Warriors that he was smart enough to not fuck it up. But, since he's been a head coach, he's never had a roster that anyone could win with. When he finally got one that could get to the playoffs, it was undermined by injuries.
Injuries have definitely hurt. Maybe he should be better than he has been, but not necessarily. And I would add had Kerr never made it back to coaching, and Walton or Brown had to take over, GS would not have skipped a beat.

As I keep saying, I don't think Lue is anything special but we only know what the facts are (as you mentioned). Lue has faced the great Brad Stevens in the playoffs 2-3 times I believe and won every time. Does it mean he's better? Nope. Means he had better players. Pretty sure if they switched the Cavs win with Brad as coach. Also pretty sure GS still wins the title if Kerr coaches the Cavs and Lue GS.