• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really cannot believe I'm getting crushed for this. Even said I don't think Lue is anything special. Guy coached 3 full seasons, won a title and played for 2 others losing only to a team no one could beat. Just not sure what anyone saw that made them think he can't coach.

could other coaches have won with his team? Perhaps. But perhaps not. Could others have beaten GS? Sure it's possible but my guess is no.

Is it fair to think he could not take an above avg. team and make them great? Sure. But we don't know as he's never had such a team.

Agree.

Some coaches get good reputations that they don't necessarily deserve for winning with good rosters. Others never really get a chance because their only opportunities come with bad rosters.

If Greg Popovich had gotten his first job with the post Jordan Bulls, we probably wouldn't know who he is today.

I haven't seen enough from Lue to know if he is a good NBA coach or an average one. But I am pretty sure he isn't terrible.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh, I'm QUITE aware...

point is he had NO business coaching an NFL team, bottom line...

but right place, right time, right roster...

so there ya go...
Yet JJ gets the credit for winning with that roster and Switzer does not by you. weird.

I agree JJ should get a ton more credit than Switzer for building that roster.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

Some coaches get good reputations that they don't necessarily deserve for winning with good rosters. Others never really get a chance because their only opportunities come with bad rosters.

If Greg Popovich had gotten his first job with the post Jordan Bulls, we probably wouldn't know who he is today.

I haven't seen enough from Lue to know if he is a good NBA coach or an average one. But I am pretty sure he isn't terrible.
Exactly how I see it. Probably wouldn't be my first choice but nothing he's done makes me think he cannot coach. Was funny when it comes to the Cavs fans who rip him they all loved Lue when Blatt was the coach and they ripped Blatt.

what you said is really just how fans are. If they don't like a coach he'll get all the blame for anything that goes wrong (see Lue). If they like him he'll never be blamed for anything (see Stevens).

And, no, I am not saying Stevens is anything but a good coach before someone says I said he sucks.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious what other Cavlier fans think as I hear nothing about the coaching position moving past this season here. Can't imagine Drew stays, but who knows?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rockets better not bone the bitch today, took them and the 2.5 points.

I don't feel like we talk enough about their woeful shooting performance in game 7 last year.

I just remember sitting there watching the implosion thinking two things:

1) How is this possible? Like law of averages they make at least 4 or 5 of these threes this is some fucked up voodoo shit

2) How do you not admit the three ball isn't falling and work the ball in more? How do you just keep gunning?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's weird because with mostly the same group of guys you credit JJ for winning but not Switzer.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel like we talk enough about their woeful shooting performance in game 7 last year.

I just remember sitting there watching the implosion thinking two things:

1) How is this possible? Like law of averages they make at least 4 or 5 of these threes this is some fucked up voodoo shit

2) How do you not admit the three ball isn't falling and work the ball in more? How do you just keep gunning?
Agree with #1. #2 probably comes down to the idea of shooters shoot. They probably just figured at some point they'd go in. I agree it was odd they missed so many.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol if you say so...

pretty sure everyone else outside of YOU sees where I'm coming from...
Oh I see where you are coming from.....you like JJ so credit him when they win. Don't like Switzer so give him no credit. But blame him if they don't win.

It's very clear.

Did JJ forget how great he was in Miami? Never won more than 10 games with him and he left and they had two 11 win seasons with Wannstadt (sp).

wannstadt probably sucks too, right?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers signed Rondo, McGee, and Lance on either July 1st or July 2nd.

There were PLENTY of better role players available on those days.

Free agency literally started on July 1st and the only guys who agreed to verbal agreements prior to July 1st were top unrestricted free agents such as DeAndre, Paul George, KD and Cp3

Not really. PG literally agreed to terms with OKC at 12:00:01am July 1st. The Lakers were trying to get Lebron and another top FA, so they couldn't commit any of their cap space to "fillers" until they knew who else they could get.

By the time they knew that no one else was coming, they were left with scraps.

Even with that, they were making it work. When the injuries started piling up, they now had to have a bunch of guys playing bigger roles than they were ever intended to play and for the most part, those players have shown why they were still available for 1 year deals.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. PG literally agreed to terms with OKC at 12:00:01am July 1st. The Lakers were trying to get Lebron and another top FA, so they couldn't commit any of their cap space to "fillers" until they knew who else they could get.

Even with that, they were making it work. When the injuries started piling up, they now had to have a bunch of guys playing bigger roles than they were ever intended to play and for the most part, those players have shown why they were still available for 1 year deals.
Not ripping them, just curious....think they went after Korver?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wasn't talking about PG or any other top free agents. I'm talking role players. There were plenty of role players available on July 1st or July 2nd.

I don't think they tried to reach out to better role players which makes me think LBJ was behind those moves. The Rondo move was fine but the other 3 were head scratchers

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't talking about PG or any other top free agents. I'm talking role players. There were plenty of role players available on July 1st or July 2nd.

I don't think they tried to reach out to better role players which makes me think LBJ was behind those moves. The Rondo move was fine but the other 3 were head scratchers
Especially after Lebron says he wants to play with smart players.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I see where you are coming from.....you like JJ so credit him when they win. Don't like Switzer so give him no credit. But blame him if they don't win.

It's very clear.

Did JJ forget how great he was in Miami? Never won more than 10 games with him and he left and they had two 11 win seasons with Wannstadt (sp).

wannstadt probably sucks too, right?

lol, you assume AWFUL lot...

and you're right, JJ bombed in Miami. so what's your point...?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, you assume AWFUL lot...

and you're right, JJ bombed in Miami. so what's your point...?
Not assuming anything, you are proving it.....You don't like Switzer so you wont give him any credit. In 4 seasons Switzer won one title, while Johnson won 2 in 9. We can even say 7 as JJ needed time to get things rolling.

was JJ an exceptional GM? Sure......Switzer had to deal with the other JJ as his GM.

But that's none of my business.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't matter what role players were available on July 1st or 2nd. The Lakers couldn't go after them because they were still trying to land a top guy and needed to preserve the cap space.

Once the top guys were all gone, there were scraps left. This coming off-season, if they land a top guy, they should be able to get better role players because they will only be trying to get one top guy.

To be fair to your point though (and this speaks to the inexperience of Magic and Pelinka), I think they may have been so focused on Lebron that they forgot about at least contacting some of the better role players to see if they could get them to hold off until they had everything nailed down with Lebron.

They probably should have had Magic focusing on Lebron while Pelinka tried to make headway with some of the better role players.

Hopefully, they will learn from some of the things that have happened this year and do better going forward. The trades for Bullock and Muscala at least shows that they've learned something.