• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The farm is seemingly depleted, bottom heavy, and lacks a future stud ace pitcher.Not exactly a good recipe for a rebuilding project.

Hell..... Calhoun was the center piece in a “ take it or leave it” offer from the dodgers. Unfortunately, Calhoun is one of our best prospects and he was probably #6 or #7 on the list of prospects we wanted from the dodgers. I felt like or front office didn’t do a good job of leveraging the high end trade piece we had in Darvish.
They can make themselves look much better if they make good trades with Beltre, Hamels and maybe another player or two. We shall see how it unfolds.

Don't discount Calhoun just yet though.

Last edited:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can make themselves look much better if they make good trades with Beltre, Hamels and maybe another player or two. We shall see how it unfolds.

Don't discount Calhoun just yet though.

I wasn’t saying Calhoun sucked, but he definitely isn’t what fans wanted from the dodgers.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The present plan appears to be wanting to straddle the fence at best and indecisive at worst.

Do you mean rushed as in it is too early to assume this team can't win it all this year?

Or is it rushed in that no other young players can reasonably be expected to play on a big league team at this point in their development?

It sounded like you are saying that if the groundwork for 2020 isn't firmly in place by the trading deadline of this year, then the team's direction must be seriously questioned.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
y'all heard about this runner on 2B at the start of each inning in extra innings in the minors?

Straight up horseshit.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn’t saying Calhoun sucked, but he definitely isn’t what fans wanted from the dodgers.
How could anyone expect much from him. Other than a reputation for putting the barrel on the ball he has little time in LF. I never thought he would start this year and he will have to prove he can play defense as well as hit the ball and he hasn't done either in MLB for any length of time. I do think he will develop in time with fair playing time in the minors.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounded like you are saying that if the groundwork for 2020 isn't firmly in place by the trading deadline of this year, then the team's direction must be seriously questioned.
I just want them to be moving in the right direction. They need to make use of whatever veteran assets they have to help prepare for 2020 and beyond. Part of that includes finding out about some young guys. They obviously believe they can't win it all this year or their commitment to salary for 2018 wouldn't be so far under last year's budget. I just want to see them take the other logical steps that go along with that realizarion. That would mean trading veterans by this year's deadline. Had they done that this offseason it certainly wouldn't have been premature considering their budget for this year. If they continue to delay this process beyond this coming trade deadline then I would be very concerned.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
y'all heard about this runner on 2B at the start of each inning in extra innings in the minors?
That isn't baseball at all. I would hate to see them start doing that at any level in the regular season.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least they got a really good prospect who is ready to contribute to a big league club in 2018. I hope one or two prospects we acuire at the deadline are ready to contribute at the big league level in 2019. Maybe Julio Martinez will be ready at some point next season as well.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That isn't baseball at all. I would hate to see them start doing that at any level in the regular season.

Starting this year, in every level of the minor leagues, every half-inning will begin with a runner on second base, in an effort to get the game over faster.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ah YES

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting this year, in every level of the minor leagues, every half-inning will begin with a runner on second base, in an effort to get the game over faster.
Boo himbug No! Nonsense.:L

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they do this, you will see a lot of bunting. Just leave it alone.
Good point Duane. Leave it alone. That's what happens when changes are made to sports. Opens up more and more changes until the game is no longer what it was.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The whole BB world wanted Walker Buehler but you think that was possible. Heard not many went after Yu. Houston wanted no part of him

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point Duane. Leave it alone. That's what happens when changes are made to sports. Opens up more and more changes until the game is no longer what it was.

It is weird but the so is instant replay with seemingly no time limit to make a decision. I think next positive move will be division realignment. Umps have the power to speed up play. They just don't use it. Re minor league ball. Small ripple