• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Off season Thread

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Its not just injury prone. The book on Nolan Patrick is 2 way center. Don't we have enough of those?
As you know, I have been a big fan of Nico since the world juniors. Do I get worried about a potential bust? Absolutely.
If Nolan didn't have that history of injuries, probably would be the safer bet, but he has always been hurt. Don't need a guy who will play 50 games a year and be hurt for 30. Yea is a bit unfair because he could be just fine in the NHL, but there is already that pattern of injuries.

Nico has the higher upside, yes. Nico played with men for the Swiss pro team SC Bern when he was 15 years old.
And he played a full season in Canadian juniors. Its not like you play 5 seasons in juniors. Sure I wish he had at least 2 seasons. At least he does not have history of injuries.

Nico also played for poorer teams. The Swiss? lol. This is not a guy who went to a loaded team and participated. He carried them on his back.

Here is what others think.

I think the Flyers have it easier at number 2. Just pick the other guy.

yeah patrick is definitely a 2way center but i think the difference between him and say mcloed is that patrick is a 1c like say kopitar. your absolutely right about the flyers i was thinking that the other day. they really have the best spot to be in just draft the other guy and your off the hook of drafting a bust.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So if you take the current roster and add Shattenkirk, Kovy, Nolan/Nico, McCleod, and another Dman in FA, does that make us a playoff contender? Have to imagine it does. Even is Kovy and Nolan/Nico score 20/20 or 25/15 that's still a massive upgrade offensively. Pushes Cam down so maybe he can try to do ANYTHING against some weaker competition...

Have watched Shattenkirk since he was at BU. He's an offensive defenseman. He's not as good defensively, so definitely don't expect him to be Greene or Severson in terms of two way ability. He is definitely better than both offensively, not even close. He's definitely better than Moore defensively, and better offensively. Question is, do you really want to pay him 7.5+....

let's stop the Duchene trade talk. Maybe that is worth a gamble if the pick fell to like 8, but definitely no #1 overall.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So if you take the current roster and add Shattenkirk, Kovy, Nolan/Nico, McCleod, and another Dman in FA, does that make us a playoff contender? Have to imagine it does. Even is Kovy and Nolan/Nico score 20/20 or 25/15 that's still a massive upgrade offensively. Pushes Cam down so maybe he can try to do ANYTHING against some weaker competition...

Have watched Shattenkirk since he was at BU. He's an offensive defenseman. He's not as good defensively, so definitely don't expect him to be Greene or Severson in terms of two way ability. He is definitely better than both offensively, not even close. He's definitely better than Moore defensively, and better offensively. Question is, do you really want to pay him 7.5+....

let's stop the Duchene trade talk. Maybe that is worth a gamble if the pick fell to like 8, but definitely no #1 overall.

lol shatenkirk looks absolutely brutal this series. he got beat by cullen for a breakaway goal. tossed the puck over the glass for a goal. and got undressed by bonino last night which almost resulted in a goal. yeah he scored the gwg but it was a lucky goal and nothing of skill IMO. shatenkirk is a nice piece to have to complement a solid top pairing tandem but your going to give a guy 50 million but you won't have him out there in the final min of the game? just think its too much and not what we need right now.

another thing after reading your list of prospects and stuff. i like them all btw but what worries me is that ALL of these kids have to hit. they can't bust like tedenby and jj did are we that lucky? mclode isn't a bust? zacha isnt? quinville?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stars should offer the No. 3 pick… to the Devils for Cory Schneider | The Hockey News

i would do this deal in a second but the stars wouldn't go for it. if the devils did swing it then i would go out and sign bishop instantly.
I would do this deal done. Sucks for my Cory jersey but oh well...

give me that pick and we could draft the best dman or move down, gain extra picks pick dman later.... or get another player, like Tippett for me or Middlewhateverstat.....

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would do the Schneider/3 pick if it came to it. Especially since 3rd ranked guy is a defenseman.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring on Blackwood and sign Bishop for the stopgap.... (bishop still good enough to hold his own)

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah bishop is more then qualified for a starting job which is why i think the market for goalies is worthless. stars would have a hard time pulling the trigger on a guy with a bad year last year and was traded 3 years ago for a #9 pick. now you want to deal him for a #3?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lightning will be shopping Drouin, they won't be able to afford him. I'd move every pick aside from number 1 for that guy. Although I think they're looking for D.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk what we can trade for Drouin.... 3rd rd and who? Merrill?(just when he's coming into his own)

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk what we can trade for Drouin.... 3rd rd and who? Merrill?(just when he's coming into his own)

It'll be interesting to see the asking price because they don't have any leverage. They can't afford to re-sign him and hanging on to his rights just decreases his value.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't trade Cory for this year's #3. People are already saying that it's a weak draft, you don't trade Cory for a guy who would normally be that low. If he has another down year, then I would revisit. I don't think he will though, and we will need a solid goalie at some point. I'm not trading for Bishop. He's too injury prone and was not good last year. he's the same age as Cory.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Something else to think about, how much does Kovy's destination team make you keep Cory? If Kovy comes, and you patch up the D, this is a playoff team with Kovy, Nico/Nolan, McCleod and another competent dman IF CORY IS IN NET and plays like he did in 15-16. They are not a playoff team in any shape or form if he isn't here.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I take back my Schneider decision. I think he rebounds, in which case he's was more valuable than that 3 pick.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I like Cory but have to think they need to see what they can get for him. Future wise, if Blackwood plays like he did in that playoff game last week with like 58 saves, we should be set. If Cory has another down year, his trade value will only drop.

He is good. Probably the reason we were not in the Auston hunt last season, but, if the price is right, I say trade him.

As for Bishop, always liked him too. Plus if he was a Devil, I like the Bishop takes the King saying when we beat the rangers.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
so much to digest!

drouin on this team would be HUUUUUUUUUUGE. i doubt a team like tampa who is a win now mode with stamkos would want draft picks in return for him. but how could they add someone when they are against the cap? maybe kovy on a 1 year deal on the cheap plus a 2nd rounder gets him? i'm open for that

but i am also fine keeping kovlachuk. this team two years ago was in the playoff hunt without hall. i think the wheels fell off because cory sucked and it went down hill from there. so i wouldn't be totally against keeping kovy at the very least til the deadline and if we are out of it? then trade him for a kings ransom.

i'm open to dealing cory because i honestly dont think you need a legit stud #1 goalie to win in the nhl. talbot rhinne anderson while good goalies aren't worth a #9 pick in the draft (what we paid for cory). looking back i kinda wish we didn't make that deal. you have to believe that corys time here is up with his current contract anyway by that time blackwood should be nhl ready and with his size? he should be a lock to make it. you don't spend a 2nd round pick on a goalie if you dont plan on using him.

on paper this team SHOULD be good. maybe its just the coaching staff

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the more i watch the caps the less i want to sign shatenkirk here. let alone give him a 7 for $60 deal to boot

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the more i watch the caps the less i want to sign shatenkirk here. let alone give him a 7 for $60 deal to boot

His price better be coming way down after this stretch.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
its a perfect storm this summer for shero

expansion draft
cap not going up
kovy coming back maybe
#1 pick in the draft
tons of cap space

chance like this doesn't come around too often