• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,209.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, it's getting down to someone like him or Rondo. My guess is, that we are more likely to get Rondo. I agree with @bksballer89 that KCP will likely get offered a multi-year deal and take that over the Lakers 1 year deal.

If they do get him, you bring him in, get Keefe working on his shot with him and appreciate the defense he brings. If things go well, maybe he gets invited back. If not, no big deal, it's not as if you were counting on him to get you to the playoffs.

I agree.....and I wouldn't mind Clarkson being a super sub and backing up Ball for 12-13mpg....

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15M sounds about right for 3 and D players these days which is what KCP's peak will be.

That THJ contract is a joke, but Knicks gonna Knicks.

I think this off season for the most part we've seen a ton of restraint from teams. There really hasn't been any contract out there that I've been like "HOLY SHIT WTF". Even last year I said that with Tyler Johnson, who's looked like one of the few to be worth the money he signed for. I laughed at HB and his max, but he's earned it so far.

Last year the Blazers went crazy and regret it. Knicks signed Noah. Hawks signed Bazemore. I have no idea wtf Orlando was doing when they signed Biyombo when they had Vucevic.

This off-season I really haven't seen anything crazy unless I missed one or two here or there. I've been kind of distracted at home with a new baby.

People are making a big deal about the Hardaway offer sheet, but it's Bazemore money essentially. Whatever the strange sequence of events that led the Knicks to reaquire him might be, that doesn't matter now.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nets are pretty much capped out with that Porter offer. They would have to wait and see if it isn't matched first.

Washington is matching it from all the reports. They're just going to screw the Nets and drag this out until July 12th. Is KDP willing to wait until July 12th to make a deal or even discuss a deal with Brooklyn or will he rush to sign a contract.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 25,209.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are making a big deal about the Hardaway offer sheet, but it's Bazemore money essentially. Whatever the strange sequence of events that led the Knicks to reaquire him might be, that doesn't matter now.

I agree....if you can score, you'll get paid.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 25,209.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He actually got less than Bazemore and I'd take Hardaway.....think the issue people have with it is the NYK need a PG.....

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The issue is nobody had planned on paying Hardaway get much. I think the Knicks could have gone 4 for 60 and the Hawks wouldn't match.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing contracts from last year to this year is stupid. Teams are clearly not handing out ridiculous contracts to avg players as they were last year. Hardaway should honestly get 12-16 mil yearly.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best take so far.

Below-average to average 3P shooter (career 33.4% on 1435 3PA).

Thought to be an elite defender, but maybe not :
NBA Real Plus-Minus - National Basketball Association - ESPN

Let somebody else pay for him....

If you switch that to '15-16, he was rated MUCH higher defensively and lower offensively. He's bounced back and forth over his 4 years between being rated higher defensively or offensively. Could be role dependent?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem is Bazemore's deal was bad too. So it's just doubling down on that.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue is nobody had planned on paying Hardaway get much. I think the Knicks could have gone 4 for 60 and the Hawks wouldn't match.
I read somewhere the Hawks were looking at around 43M. So yea, the Knicks went a little crazy.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. If I'm KCP there's only two options I'm going to look at:

1) Long term, big money deal, literally anywhere.

2) 1 Year deal, with guaranteed starting role and big minutes incoming.

If I'm KCP, I'm going to try to leverage every team with cap space to get the biggest offer he can from Brooklyn. I honestly though he would be getting closer to 18M per year somewhere around 60-70M this off-season, but I have a feeling he'll be topping out at around 50-55.

Option 2 is why I think the Lakers should make a run at him. Clarkson does really well as the first guard off the bench. So KCP would be the starter at SG and get plenty of minutes.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to me that I'm higher here on KCP than most. I think he has a chance to be a good, solid starter in the NBA. I feel like he's not far off right now from being a more versatile scoring Danny Green. I don't even think that is his ceiling either.

You have to look at KCP and the system he was in. He was playing with Reggie Jackson and Tobias Harris who are two black holes. Then you have Marcus Morris also chucking and Andre Drummond getting scraps down low. It doesn't give you a lot of scoring opportunity, so when you have bad shot takers on your team, it's contagious.

I think in the right environment and right system, you could see him thrive. Avery Bradley couldn't shoot at all a couple years ago and turned himself into a very disciplined, efficient and decent volume scorer. That's where KCP could be if he develops properly.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is Bazemore's deal was bad too. So it's just doubling down on that.

Hardaway is the better scorer though, and has done as such largely off the bench thus far. If the Knicks are going to start him, his numbers have upside remaining. RFA contracts are tricky, and if they gave him a Waiters/Ingles offer, they likely don't get him. They overestimated, but such is the risk when you act with a less than whole front office in the free agency period.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you switch that to '15-16, he was rated MUCH higher defensively and lower offensively. He's bounced back and forth over his 4 years between being rated higher defensively or offensively. Could be role dependent?

Possibly.

What about him screams that a different setup/style/tempo would unshackle his talent and bring more consistent results? Still, he is 24 and does have room for improvement. If another team wants to throw 4/60 at him, then by all means, go for it.

I'd rather have a player like Covington, who I expect to get a similar contract.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to me that I'm higher here on KCP than most. I think he has a chance to be a good, solid starter in the NBA. I feel like he's not far off right now from being a more versatile scoring Danny Green. I don't even think that is his ceiling either.

You have to look at KCP and the system he was in. He was playing with Reggie Jackson and Tobias Harris who are two black holes. Then you have Marcus Morris also chucking and Andre Drummond getting scraps down low. It doesn't give you a lot of scoring opportunity, so when you have bad shot takers on your team, it's contagious.

I think in the right environment and right system, you could see him thrive. Avery Bradley couldn't shoot at all a couple years ago and turned himself into a very disciplined, efficient and decent volume scorer. That's where KCP could be if he develops properly.
Bradley was never as bad a shooter as KCP, but I see what you're saying. Hell, if he can even improve to average shooting status he could be very solid.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where does Dallas factor in? Don't they still have a ton of cash? Is anyone actually going to offer Noel a max contract?