• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to pick a number, I'd pick 32 wins for the Lakers. I think the 76ers will have at least 10 more wins than them, though.

As of today in Vegas:
Over/Under wins on Lakers is 32.5, on Philly it's 40.5.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of today in Vegas:

I would not touch that number on Philly. So many variables in play. I could see them winning anywhere between 30 and 50.

But, if it is closer to 50, don't be shocked if LeBron consider them in FA next year. The LA rumors make sense for other reasons, but Philly could provide the best opportunity for LeBron to add to his ring count.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of today in Vegas:

That seems about right.
CHI/IND/ATL are 3 playoff teams that are now out of contention.
MIA certainly takes one of those spots.
Maybe CHA.
35 wins could be a playoff spot in the East.

And hopefully the Lakers send us a top-10 pick... :dhd:

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have some really nice pieces that fit well together. I was looking at their depth chart today, and it is amazing just how much they have. I can't see more than 28 minutes for anybody outside of Whiteside and maybe Dragic.

I think they are capable of beating anyone in the East (aside from Cleveland) in a playoff series, but they are also capable of losing to anyone in the East in a playoff series.

Yeah, the Heat right now with this roster have a ceiling of the 3 seed and a likely scenario of being a 5/6 seed with this roster moving forward.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the Heat right now with this roster have a ceiling of the 3 seed and a likely scenario of being a 5/6 seed with this roster moving forward.

After watching last season, I felt teams might be better off having a roster like the Heat vs overpaying a max to a second tier player.

The second half Heat came at teams in waves for 48 minutes.
We never give opponents a break.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Scalabrini (Ex-Celtic, ex-Bull) was on Boston Sports Tonight last night. He gets really wound up and literally explodes at most of the 'reports' out there, especially those concerning the Celtics. He really knows and understands the salary cap, salary balancing and what teams do and why they do it.

Anyway.....he says that the Celtics trading Jae Crowder to Utah for box of donuts is complete BS. Ainge would never dump a 3 year $21M contract especially for a player who can play various positions and is willing to come off the bench.

Isiah Thomas and Avery Bradley will both be coming up for new contracts. Bradley next year and IT the following year. IT is already saying he wants a Max Contract next year or he walks the following year. Scal say the Bradley, based on this years spending will command at least $23M a year and will probably get between $25M and $30M from someone, but not the Celtics. Marcus Smart becomes a RFA next year and will probably get offers that the C's will not match. SSSooooooooooooooooo

Scal says that the first piece that Danny has to move is Bradley. It will NOT be for Marc Gasol. Gasol has a $22M contract for this season and there's no way the C's can fit that into this team and keep the young guys he's wants to keep.

Right now the C's and Knicks are discussing Marcus Smart for Guillermo Hermangomez. The Celtic's would pick up about $2M in Cap space. That would allow for Gordon to be officially signed because the Celtics actually $300,000 of open space to do the signing. Hermangomez would give the Celtics a relable rebounder and rim protector to help Ante Zizic learn the position at the NBA level.

Scal says that Ainge is working to move Bradley and possibly Crowder to bring in a Power Forward who can rebound and score in the 15-18 point range.

The more I listen to him the more common sense he makes. His final point? People have to stop believing everything they hear on the local radio. Those guys are NOT plugged into the NBA, MLB, NHL or NFL the way the guys who make a living getting info and reporting are. He mentioned guys like Wojo, Peter King, Nick Carfardo. When a major network says a deal has been done, in the NBA, Wojo or Amrick have tweeted it hours before.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Scalabrini (Ex-Celtic, ex-Bull) was on Boston Sports Tonight last night. He gets really wound up and literally explodes at most of the 'reports' out there, especially those concerning the Celtics. He really knows and understands the salary cap, salary balancing and what teams do and why they do it.

Anyway.....he says that the Celtics trading Jae Crowder to Utah for box of donuts is complete BS. Ainge would never dump a 3 year $21M contract especially for a player who can play various positions and is willing to come off the bench.

Isiah Thomas and Avery Bradley will both be coming up for new contracts. Bradley next year and IT the following year. IT is already saying he wants a Max Contract next year or he walks the following year. Scal say the Bradley, based on this years spending will command at least $23M a year and will probably get between $25M and $30M from someone, but not the Celtics. Marcus Smart becomes a RFA next year and will probably get offers that the C's will not match. SSSooooooooooooooooo

Scal says that the first piece that Danny has to move is Bradley. It will NOT be for Marc Gasol. Gasol has a $22M contract for this season and there's no way the C's can fit that into this team and keep the young guys he's wants to keep.

Right now the C's and Knicks are discussing Marcus Smart for Guillermo Hermangomez. The Celtic's would pick up about $2M in Cap space. That would allow for Gordon to be officially signed because the Celtics actually $300,000 of open space to do the signing. Hermangomez would give the Celtics a relable rebounder and rim protector to help Ante Zizic learn the position at the NBA level.

Scal says that Ainge is working to move Bradley and possibly Crowder to bring in a Power Forward who can rebound and score in the 15-18 point range.

The more I listen to him the more common sense he makes. His final point? People have to stop believing everything they hear on the local radio. Those guys are NOT plugged into the NBA, MLB, NHL or NFL the way the guys who make a living getting info and reporting are. He mentioned guys like Wojo, Peter King, Nick Carfardo. When a major network says a deal has been done, in the NBA, Wojo or Amrick have tweeted it hours before.

Maybe it's just me but I think the Knicks would be stupid to trade Hernangomez if all they're getting is the right to overpay Marcus Smart next offseason. Hernangomez is cheap for the next 3 years and he actually looked decent last year. I just don't know what Marcus Smart is. Coming out of college, I assumed his offensive game would translate better to the NBA and it just hasn't. Do the Knicks really want to trade for a guard with a .358 career FG% and a .291 career 3P%?

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seems about right.
CHI/IND/ATL are 3 playoff teams that are now out of contention.
MIA certainly takes one of those spots.
Maybe CHA.
35 wins could be a playoff spot in the East.

And hopefully the Lakers send us a top-10 pick... :dhd:

I think Charlotte improves next season. Everyone hates on Dwight Howard but he is still a very valuable player. That was a great trade for them (granted, they'll be stuck in the middle but they'll be improved and should pretty easily make the playoffs.)

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just me but I think the Knicks would be stupid to trade Hernangomez if all they're getting is the right to overpay Marcus Smart next offseason. Hernangomez is cheap for the next 3 years and he actually looked decent last year. I just don't know what Marcus Smart is. Coming out of college, I assumed his offensive game would translate better to the NBA and it just hasn't. Do the Knicks really want to trade for a guard with a .358 career FG% and a .291 career 3pt%?
You may be right about this potential trade... it might not be the right move for the Knicks (although, when has that ever stopped them before? :heh:)... that said:

You simply can not evaluate Marcus Smart on offensive stat's alone. That's not what makes him a player in this league. Dude is a bulldog on defense... he can guard 3 to 4 positions... his instincts on this end are uncanny... I've seen him literally change games on that end of the floor.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not touch that number on Philly. So many variables in play. I could see them winning anywhere between 30 and 50.

But, if it is closer to 50, don't be shocked if LeBron consider them in FA next year. The LA rumors make sense for other reasons, but Philly could provide the best opportunity for LeBron to add to his ring count.

30 wins would mean a catastrophe of epic proportions happened (which given their recent history, I'm not going to totally count out).

They won 28 (while trying to lose games in the second half of the season) based on a combination of a hot streak in January fueled by Embiid and his 31 games and Dario Saric/T.J. McConnell willing them to victory down the stretch. Even if Embiid were to only play 31 games again, Simmons, Fultz, Redick, and Johnson should put them over 30.

But you're right, there are a lot of variables. If I had to pick only one number, I'd go with 44 wins for this year so I'd take the over. But it's a hard bet to make. If they have another big injury, who knows where they end up.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Bradley and Smart but Crowder is a great defender, he can guard a lot of positions and be a key player off the bench.

In order I'd keep them:

1-Crowder
2-Smart
3-Bradley

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right about this potential trade... it might not be the right move for the Knicks (although, when has that ever stopped them before? :heh:)... that said:

You simply can not evaluate Marcus Smart on offensive stat's alone. That's not what makes him a player in this league. Dude is a bulldog on defense... he can guard 3 to 4 positions... his instincts on this end are uncanny... I've seen him literally change games on that end of the floor.

He's a good defensive player for sure. But his offensive game isn't there -- now maybe he could flourish more in a system where he's more ball dominant. I haven't looked at the numbers but my recollection is that he handled the ball much more in college than he does in the NBA.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to pick a number, I'd pick 32 wins for the Lakers. I think the 76ers will have at least 10 more wins than them, though.

32 seems about right. I don't know about 10 more wins, but, considering the state of the East right now, if the Sixers stay healthy (especially Embiid), they should definitely finish with more wins than the Lakers.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hardaway back to the Knicks.....I like that.....he's better than Evan Turner, Bazemore, etc.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Hardaway's offense... but that's a big salary number for him. He better blossom...

... and develop a more well-rounded game.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat fans (I'm too lazy to tag all of you), what's the reasoning to throwing out longer deals to average players? Wouldn't it make more sense to keep some cap flexibility for next summer? I mean some Eastern team is gonna be able to sell an easier path to the Finals to free agents if they come East. Heck, it could potentially even be Lebron if he sours on Cleveland (dude wants to win. why would he go West if he leaves?). These moves improve the team short term, yes, but doesn't it handcuff them going forward?

Honestly I think Pat is over wasting time chasing the top free agents every summer and basically wasting his time and having to go to Plan B or C after waiting 3 or 4 days for those guys to make their decision.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Hardaway's offense... but that's a big salary number for him. He better blossom...

... and develop a more well-rounded game.

If he starts and Lee comes off bench....I can see Hardaway scoring 18-20ppg....he averaged 14.5 last year in just 27mpg.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NY may be forced to bring back Rose on a 1 year deal.....they do need a PG.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For everyone complaining about the contracts the Heat handed out, let's remember Biyombo and Bazemore got 17 mill last year. T