• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't speak for other Lakers fans but, as currently constructed, the Lakers absolute ceiling this season is 41 wins.

To do that, Ball has to have a very short learning curve, Randle has to continue the steady improvement he has shown every year, Ingram has to make a big jump, Lopez has to fit in seamlessly (and stay healthy). Guys like Zubac, Nance and Clarkson have to continue to improve as well.

It would also help if they can land another good vet on a 1 year deal (like Crawford if he gets bought out by the Hawks).

All things considered, I think they end up in the 30-35 win range.

If I had to pick a number, I'd pick 32 wins for the Lakers. I think the 76ers will have at least 10 more wins than them, though.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Spurs that year they tanked * coughed* Robinson got hurt and they drafted Duncan?

I'm to lazy to actually go look.

But, that's all that comes to mind.

That was a big difference but they "only" went from 20 wins to 56 wins. Not sure if it counts but Boston went from 24 wins in 06-07 to 66 wins and an NBA championship in 07-08.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may not be fair for me to call him mediocre -- but he's had one decent season.
I totally agree it's a classic "Knicks" move. Way too much dough. I just happen to like him.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We really should sort out our front office situation. That way, we can set ourselves up for success in the future. Hmmm. Nah. Let's give 71 million to Tim Hardaway Jr instead" - The Knicks

:rolleyes2:

They were so close to making it through an offseason without doing something done. So close!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat fans (I'm too lazy to tag all of you), what's the reasoning to throwing out longer deals to average players? Wouldn't it make more sense to keep some cap flexibility for next summer? I mean some Eastern team is gonna be able to sell an easier path to the Finals to free agents if they come East. Heck, it could potentially even be Lebron if he sours on Cleveland (dude wants to win. why would he go West if he leaves?). These moves improve the team short term, yes, but doesn't it handcuff them going forward?

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had flashes of brilliance last year. I like him quite a bit actually. I agree that is a bit steep though.

It may not be fair for me to call him mediocre -- but he's had one decent season.

I loved watching him lay this past season. But I gotta admit too, he's just a microwave scorer. He doesn't provide much else.

Lol at the Knicks for overpaying a player that they got rid of not too long ago btw.

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Rudy Gay would have fitted perfectly with the cavs. I think they're so busy on trying to land the big piece, they're missing out on some small pieces that would make huge differences.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said a few days ago. If you have a young child, push them towards basketball.

I know this is a joke, but it takes a lot more than skill to make it to the NBA. About 90-95% of the population is excluded on genetics alone. If you are shorter than 6-5, you need numerous athletic traits to go along with your skills to have a chance. Heck, 7 footers don't even really have a "great" chance anymore unless they are able to move laterally and /or have a nice skill set.

Before anyone comes at me with Isaiah Thomas or Muggsy Bogues comments, realize that those guys are absolute freak athletes. They are both ridiculously quick and strong for their respective sizes.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat fans (I'm too lazy to tag all of you), what's the reasoning to throwing out longer deals to average players? Wouldn't it make more sense to keep some cap flexibility for next summer? I mean some Eastern team is gonna be able to sell an easier path to the Finals to free agents if they come East. Heck, it could potentially even be Lebron if he sours on Cleveland (dude wants to win. why would he go West if he leaves?). These moves improve the team short term, yes, but doesn't it handcuff them going forward?

I think Riley for the time being is content with the roster. These contracts are actually somewhat cap friendly and are considered assets. Of all of them, I don't really think there's a bad contract among Olynk, Waiters and Johnson. I think the Heat are going to have to make a couple deep playoff runs until they're a serious player for any marquee free agents in 2020.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got the deal I thought Waiters would get and vice versa lol

I felt Johnson is/was more valuable because he's so versatile.
We know what we're getting.
Dion COULD end up being a steal, but time will tell.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think the Heat overpaid anyone.
The chemistry between this group last year isn't seen very often.
No reason to think we don't have traceable assets if Riley can land a whale.
At least now we have a solid roster with stability vs chasing a FA and potentially losing players while waiting.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Riley for the time being is content with the roster. These contracts are actually somewhat cap friendly and are considered assets. Of all of them, I don't really think there's a bad contract among Olynk, Waiters and Johnson. I think the Heat are going to have to make a couple deep playoff runs until they're a serious player for any marquee free agents in 2020.

They have some really nice pieces that fit well together. I was looking at their depth chart today, and it is amazing just how much they have. I can't see more than 28 minutes for anybody outside of Whiteside and maybe Dragic.

I think they are capable of beating anyone in the East (aside from Cleveland) in a playoff series, but they are also capable of losing to anyone in the East in a playoff series.