• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Porter is the perfect compliment to Wall and Beal. I get the money saving issue, but they need a floor spacer from that spot. Crowder really Isn't it.

I don't feel like searching.
Who have the Wiz added/lost so far?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you guys imagine if CP3 leaves houston next summer?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure. His defense has been really bad -- can't switch, has lacked effort. His offensive efficiency has not been great and he needs to expand his range because he clogs up the paint. I'd like to see him get some playing time with Simmons to see if they can click together a bit -- but it seems like the 76ers are ready to move on from him. I think in the right system, he could still provide some value. Hopefully it's with the 76ers.

He is also a misfit for the current era of basketball. He is a traditional low post scorer, who can't defend. 20 years ago he would have held plenty of value. Today though, teams don't throw the ball into the post. They need bigs to run pick and roll and make midrange shots. That isn't Okafor's game. His liabilities hurt more than his strengths help.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2018 likely free agents (Big Names Only)

Chris Paul
DeMarcus Cousins
Paul George
Russ
Aldridge
Avery Bradley
IT
Zach Lavine (RFA)
Lebron James
DeAndre Jordan

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel like searching.
Who have the Wiz added/lost so far?

Well, they really only had 7 players that mattered last year. Their bench, beyond Mahimi and Bogdanovich (perhaps Oubre) was completely expendable. They were all basically replacement level players.

All the important players are under contract except for Bogdanovixh and Porter who are both RFAs. They also added Meeks for bench shooting and Mike Scott, who is another solid bench forward with some skill.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No guarantees... but top of next years draft looks sweet.

I like Horford... but Horford isn't irreplaceable.

Who knows... maybe that Nets pick could be part of a package that brings Anthony Davis to Bean Town? :eek:

Or something big like that.

Celts should hold onto that Nets pick and use it to draft Horford's replacement. The top of the draft looks to be big heavy.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Porter is the perfect compliment to Wall and Beal. I get the money saving issue, but they need a floor spacer from that spot. Crowder really Isn't it.

Crowder took more 3 pointers last year than Porter and hit on 39.8%, which is lower than Porter's 43.4% but still pretty good. Not sure it's accurate to say that Crowder can't space the floor.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they really only had 7 players that mattered last year. Their bench, beyond Mahimi and Bogdanovich (perhaps Oubre) was completely expendable. They were all basically replacement level players.

All the important players are under contract except for Bogdanovixh and Porter who are both RFAs. They also added Meeks for bench shooting and Mike Scott, who is another solid bench forward with some skill.

And they have no cap space after they sign Porter?
Seems like they will just be spinning their wheels then, right?
I thought they were the biggest threat to the Cavs in the EC last year, but not any more.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crowder took more 3 pointers last year than Porter and hit on 39.8%, which is lower than Porter's 43.4% but still pretty good. Not sure it's accurate to say that Crowder can't space the floor.

Crowder is a guy who gets left open and makes shots.

Porter is a shooter who defenses have to account for. I don't care what the percentages say. Watching both guys, 1 is a shooter (Porter) and the other is an afterthought.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all these "big" names being bandied about for the Lakers backcourt, I'm really surprised Afflalo's name hasn't been mentioned. He's certainly a fit, being a 3&D guy and a UCLA grad.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crowder is an almost textbook 3+D guy. If understood in that role... he's a great role guy... if more is expected... you'll be disappointed.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crowder is an almost textbook 3+D guy. If understood in that role... he's a great role guy... if more is expected... you'll be disappointed.

I like Crowder a lot.

But, the Wizards need a guy who is more heavy on the 3 than the D in that spot. That is why Porter fits better.

Now, if they could get Crowder and keep Porter, I would be all for that.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Porter is a shooter who defenses have to account for. I don't care what the percentages say. Watching both guys, 1 is a shooter (Porter) and the other is an afterthought.

I like Porter better than Crowder but neither of them are primary or even secondary options. Both were 4th on their team in attempts per game and both averaged 10 attempts per game. The question isn't if Porter is better than Crowder though. The question is whether Crowder can provide roughly the same production/value as Porter at a fraction of the cost.

Possibly. The major variable is whether Porter will continue to improve (he's progressed every single year and he's still only 23 years old) because we pretty much know what the maximum performance from Crowder is. We still don't know if Porter is even close to his ceiling. So that's the equation that I think Washington would have to grapple with if they were ever presented with a trade offer to acquire Crowder, which in itself seems like a remote possibility.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree with that, but from watching both, Crowder is more physical, a better defender and a better rebounder.