• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Paul told Clippers he was leaving for Houston, forcing trade and the Clippers got back what they could and that's a win.

Paul tells Indy he's leaving for the Lakers, Indy takes a hard stance, info leaked and George gets vilified.

Again....I think it was rival GM's,not George.

Because this didnt get out until it was over.

#Perspective

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Paul isn't extending a contract with the Rockets. He opted into his final year, and was then traded. He'll be a free agent next off-season.

The Rockets have his bird rights now and will be able to offer him a 5-year supermax next year.

This may be true.

But, the Rockets are operating under the ussumption he will resign next summer. Somebody (maybe Shelbourne) said they had a gentlemen's agreement

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Current NBA players who have been the best player on a championship team.

Durant, LeBron, Curry, Dirk, Wade

Sorta surprised how short the list is. And LeBron is the only one on that list who's done it more than once.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Paul isn't extending a contract with the Rockets. He opted into his final year, and was then traded. He'll be a free agent next off-season.

The Rockets have his bird rights now and will be able to offer him a 5-year supermax next year.
Yes.

Or, he can flee to form the banana boat crew.

Risky.

Unless Houston already knows something we dont.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be true.

But, the Rockets are operating under the ussumption he will resign next summer. Somebody (maybe Shelbourne) said they had a gentlemen's agreement

Yeah, I'm sure there was some sort of conversation along those lines. Would it really be a deal-breaker if he didn't give them his word, though? All they lost was 1 pick and salary they would've had to dump for him anyway.

I think the Rockets do that deal even if they don't know what happens next year. In fact, given CP's age... they might even prefer to have it this way. 1 year for both sides to see how it works.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rockets were still interested in trading Ryan Anderson, the Kings would probably have some interest. Not sure what Houston has left for assets that the Kings would want outside of maybe a 2020 1st round pick.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm sure there was some sort of conversation along those lines. Would it really be a deal-breaker if he didn't give them his word, though? All they lost was 1 pick and salary they would've had to dump for him anyway.

I think the Rockets do that deal even if they don't know what happens next year. In fact, given CP's age... they might even prefer to have it this way. 1 year for both sides to see how it works.

You are right. I don't think it would be a deal breaker. I am simply repeating what the analysts were saying on eSPN. Could be entirely wrong though.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but he isnt going to a worse team, makes no sense. Especially with the pieces he has around him now. Seems like the only people hoping is everyone else.
Hypothetically, the Knicks could be in play if they dump Noah now that Phil is out.

Especially if they hire Griff.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mecca, what if....

This is all part of the banana boat's plan.

This year, the Clippers will tank for a top draft pick.

Then next year.... they sign unrestricted free agents LeBron, PG13, CP3, Melo, & Wade.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mecca, what if....

This is all part of the banana boat's plan.

This year, the Clippers will tank for a top draft pick.

Then next year.... they sign unrestricted free agents LeBron, PG13, CP3, Melo, & Wade.

Damn. Melo playing 5?

I like it. Won't happen though. Doubt they would all sacrifice enough money for that to work. LeBron and George would need max deals, CP3 close to it. They would be aski Wade and Melo to sign for peanuts.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Current NBA players who have been the best player on a championship team.

Durant, LeBron, Curry, Dirk, Wade

Sorta surprised how short the list is. And LeBron is the only one on that list who's done it more than once.

I'd argue Kawhi could be on this list too. The Spurs still had Duncan, but he wasn't DUNCAN. Kawhi was the best player for them in that series and he was the MVP.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will be if they get Billups and make potential. Even with this roster right now they are the best in the East easy and I have a feeling some buyout is about to happen that will change the rostee in a big way. Lets just all sit back and wait until free agency starts lol. But there is no way he would EVER go to the Clippers LOL

What buyout can occur on this roster? Buyouts are only useful in the final year of a contract.

For example, the Heat can buyout McRoberts right now. The problem is will be that his contract will be spread out ($2 mil per year) over the next 3 years cap-wise. Cleveland already has zero room to maneuver and has bad contracts in place - TT, JR, Shumpert. If buying contracts out were so easy, the Knicks would easily buy out Noah right now.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but he isnt going to a worse team, makes no sense. Especially with the pieces he has around him now. Seems like the only people hoping is everyone else.

He left Miami to go to Cleveland.

He left a team that went to 4 straight Finals that he won titles with to build another potential super team.

Lebron has the propensity to leave when he sees a potential better situation in a distance. This has been proven twice already.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.

If George ends up going to Boston and signing an extension, I would think the Clippers could emerge as LeBron favorites. If they can sell everything This summer, they might get a high lotto pick too.

Only problem is that CP3 is expected to sign an extension with the Rockets. That was part of the report. He would likely be the one left out, and IMO the most important piece LBJ would need of the 4 banana boaters.

Rumor: LeBron James would ‘never’ join Clippers