• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Not only is there no guarantee he's coming back, I'm not sure there is an expectation he's re-signing there,” Yahoo NBA reporter Adrian Wojnarowski said on his podcast Wednesday. “I think within Cleveland and around the league they feel that he is very much in play to leave again and likely head out West to one of the two LA teams. The Lakers could very well be a target.”

Wojnarowski, arguably the most connected NBA reporter in the business, said James got the monkey off his back when he brought a championship to Cleveland in 2016, freeing himself to focus more on other facets of his life.

"I think the focus, a lot of LeBron's business interests, his Hollywood aspirations, his media ventures are based (in L.A.),” he said. “And I wrote this last year and said it and believed it — the minute he won that championship in Cleveland, he was liberated to leave again."

How many No. 23 jerseys will go up in flames if King James leaves Cleveland a second time?

It will equate to the fire in the London apartment yesterday.

Woj is the best in the business. But I've learned to take anything he has to say regarding LeBron with a grain of salt.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True -- but PG13 is such a weak nickname, especially since he changed his number so that he could use it as a nickname.

I'm too lazy to type out his name. I'm fully aware of how pathetic that sounds.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woj is the best in the business. But I've learned to take anything he has to say regarding LeBron with a grain of salt.

I'm not too versed on the history of Woj regarding his history on Bron reporting. What are things that he has missed out on?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine. I wasn't disagreeing with you on that. The Heat are going through that with McRoberts. We couldn't move just him and had to attach assets because he was horrible on a bad contract. Same situation applies here. But the Lakers aren't going to gut the entire team, just a few players if this scenario were to ever present itself.

if those 3 players are LBJ and PG13?

I think they would.

Plus they still have that euro C who was a rookie this year.

It's a starting point.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm too lazy to type out his name. I'm fully aware of how pathetic that sounds.

Oh, I don't care when people use his nickname -- I just think it's corny that he changed his number so that he could be called PG13.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if those 3 players are LBJ and PG13?

I think they would.

Plus they still have that euro C who was a rookie this year.

It's a starting point.

I agree. I think if Lebron and George were to ever decide to go to the Lakers, the Lakers would like to try to hold onto 2 of the 3 of Russell, Ingram and Ball (if he gets drafted there). I think Clarkson would be gone given his contract, along with Randle just so LA could clear cap space while also finding suitors for Mozgov and Deng.

Again, this is all just hypothetical given that Lebron probably isn't even looking to go to LA and this is just the rumor mill spinning in the offseason.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I don't care when people use his nickname -- I just think it's corny that he changed his number so that he could be called PG13.

Gotchya. Yeah, that's pretty lame. I just use it because I'm a lazy sack of ass sometimes.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I think if Lebron and George were to ever decide to go to the Lakers, the Lakers would like to try to hold onto 2 of the 3 of Russell, Ingram and Ball (if he gets drafted there). I think Clarkson would be gone given his contract, along with Randle just so LA could clear cap space while also finding suitors for Mozgov and Deng.

Again, this is all just hypothetical given that Lebron probably isn't even looking to go to LA and this is just the rumor mill spinning in the offseason.

Yeah, I would say Ball Bron and PG13 for sure. Figure out the rest. Russell and Moz out of town for more useful size or a pick that could get you some useful size, isn't a terrible idea either.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 28,885.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For anybody else that has lost somebody:

I had my own notion of grief
I thought it was the sad time that followed the death of somebody you love
And you had to push through it to get to the other side
But, I'm learning there is no other side
There is no pushing through
But, rather there is
Absorption
Adjustment
Acceptance
Grief is not something you complete
But, rather you endure
Grief is not a task to finish and move on
But, an element of yourself
An alteration of your being
A new way of seeing
A new definition of self

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not too versed on the history of Woj regarding his history on Bron reporting. What are things that he has missed out on?

Well, for starters, his pieces on LeBron read like they were written by the president of the anti-LeBron club. (especially from 2007 - 2012). Stuff about LeBron being a loser, not clutch, primadona, etc. Plenty of people agree with him, I'm sure, its just strange when he's the only player that he writes about in that manner. (although he does also seem to enjoy lashing against the Knicks management. Those are the 2 things he loves to bash, LeBron & the Knicks).

Secondly, he's been spectacularly wrong for both of LeBron's free agency decisions.

In 2010, he had the Bulls as the frontrunner, Cleveland in 2nd, and New Jersey in 3rd. Then after the announcement he wrote an article about how obvious it was he would go to Miami, even though he himself never suggested Miami as a probability.

In 2014, he wrote an article about Cleveland missed their chance of getting LeBron back and how he would never return - like 2 months before he returned.

There's just something weirdly personal there.

Those within the league think Wojnarowski’s criticism of LeBron stems from reporting failures. “I don’t know if LeBron’s whole camp or just LeBron shafted [Wojnarowski], but [Wojnarowski] was having trouble getting to him,” a former team employee he tried to cultivate as a source told me. Somebody else familiar with Wojnarowski and James’ relationship said, “Adrian does not talk to LeBron, or people in LeBron’s camp. He doesn’t do any reporting with LeBron James or his people.” (Both spoke on condition of anonymity, citing fears that Wojnarowski would harm their careers.)

Last edited:

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, for starters, his pieces on LeBron read like they were written by the president of the anti-LeBron club. (especially from 2007 - 2012). Stuff about LeBron being a loser, not clutch, primadona, etc. Plenty of people agree with him, I'm sure, its just strange when he's the only player that he writes about in that manner. (although he does also seem to enjoy lashing against the Knicks management. Those are the 2 things he loves to bash, LeBron & the Knicks).

Secondly, he's been spectacularly wrong for both of LeBron's free agency decisions.

In 2010, he had the Bulls as the frontrunner, Cleveland in 2nd, and New Jersey in 3rd. Then after the announcement he wrote an article about how obvious it was he would go to Miami, even though he himself never suggested Miami has a probability.

In 2014, he wrote an article about Cleveland missed their chance of getting LeBron back and how he would never return - like 2 months before he returned.

There's just something weirdly personal there.

Makes sense. Wasn't aware of that. Personally it would make sense if Lebron's camp is starting the rumors to put Gilbert's feet to the fire to improve the roster.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense. Wasn't aware of that. Personally it would make sense if Lebron's camp is starting the rumors to put Gilbert's feet to the fire to improve the roster.

Yeah, I actually kind of buy into the rumor, and its coming from more people than just Woj.

I think it depends on how the year goes for the Cavs, but the possibility of LeBron leaving will be way more on the table than it was last year, imo.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I actually kind of buy into the rumor, and its coming from more people than just Woj.

I think it depends on how the year goes for the Cavs, but the possibility of LeBron leaving will be way more on the table than it was last year, imo.

I agree completely. Last year, not many believed KD would go to the Dubs. Lebron had just won a title in Cleveland (his 3rd) and got the monkey off his back. I think he saw the opportunity to have a potential dynasty in Cleveland - so I don't think there was any chance he left, hence the 3-year deal (with a player opt out after next season). Given that the Dubs for the most part look intact for the next few seasons, he may have caused Lebron to re-evaluate his options.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Def means nothing, and we are a year away.

Regardless, as I've asked before, would Gilbert really care if James left if they lose again and then James wants a long term max?
I doubt many owners would put themselves in that position.
If he switches teams is it 4 years max?

L.A. makes sense though.
James needs to start thinking about life after basketball.
If he settles into the mindset that he can't beat the Warriors, then there is zero reasons to stay with Cavs since he already brought them their title.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Def means nothing, and we are a year away.

Regardless, as I've asked before, would Gilbert really care if James left if they lose again and then James wants a long term max?
I doubt many owners would put themselves in that position.
If he switches teams is it 4 years max?

L.A. makes sense though.
James needs to start thinking about life after basketball.
If he settles into the mindset that he can't beat the Warriors, then there is zero reasons to stay with Cavs since he already brought them their title.

Yes, Lebron can only sign a 4-year max elsewhere. He can sign for 5 years in Cleveland.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Lebron can only sign a 4-year max elsewhere. He can sign for 5 years in Cleveland.

So we are talking a 37-38 year old James at the end.
If anyone can stay effective, it's him, but damn he'll have a TON of miles.
I say he def has 3 more years at or near his current level, but I'd be leery after that.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we are talking a 37-38 year old James at the end.
If anyone can stay effective, it's him, but damn he'll have a TON of miles.
I say he def has 3 more years at or near his current level, but I'd be leery after that.

I said at the end of last year that he had 2-3 years at an elite level left that would put his major decline at 35. I'm going to backtrack on that and add a year. As you've said, if anyone can keep pushing time, it's him. But as you've mentioned, those miles are significant.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3