• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
G League needs some major upgrading before this becomes helpful. Not just pay -- but coaching, facilities, etc. I heard a scout say a while back -- would it be better for a 19 year old to be in G League or at Duke/Kentucky? Clearly (today) they would get better coaching, facilities, experience in NCAA.

True, but college baseball facilities are nicer than most minor league teams facilities, but the better players coming out of high school tend to choose the minors over college.

Hopefully, if this does become a trend, it will lead to greater interest in the G-league which could lead to better facilities because of more fan attendance and tv exposure.

Personally, I would pay a lot more attention to say, the South Bay Lakers if I knew they had a couple of guys who would have been one and done in college but chose to go to the G-league.

Wouldn't mind seeing the G-league develop into more of a true minor league system for the NBA.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those guys are under a ton of pressure and scrutiny, most of it deserved.

Overall, they have done a shit job.

It, it was already stated early in the Season that the Refs were going to give them a very short leash, as directed from the League.

LeBron has been tossed.

Curry, Durant, Derozan all tossed.

So, obviously, there won't be a different set of rules for Superstar players.

The Warriors have come out and said these guys need to knock it off.

When it costs the Warriors a game in the postseason, maybe they'll get the message.
Well, I find it pretty funny when the refs & the league are at odds on social media for everyone to see. That sounds to me like they aren't on the same page.

So far this season it appears they picked a bunch that maybe doesn't quite understand the rules of the game & the league is doing everything they can to avoid having to shoulder blame & address the problem. IMO a clear example of this is the rule that doesn't allow players/coaches to comment on the officiating. So ridiculous. It's not always what you say but how you say it. There should always be room for feedback and/or constructive criticism - and then follow up. It's what allows people to learn & grow in real time.

To your point about the team addressing their players, of course they have to "play the game" and try to get guys to overlook things. If they don't there could be severe consequence for them as an organization.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I find it pretty funny when the refs & the league are at odds on social media for everyone to see. That sounds to me like they aren't on the same page.

So far this season it appears they picked a bunch that maybe doesn't quite understand the rules of the game & the league is doing everything they can to avoid having to shoulder blame & address the problem. IMO a clear example of this is the rule that doesn't allow players/coaches to comment on the officiating. So ridiculous. It's not always what you say but how you say it. There should always be room for feedback and/or constructive criticism - and then follow up. It's what allows people to learn & grow in real time.

To your point about the team addressing their players, of course they have to "play the game" and try to get guys to overlook things. If they don't there could be severe consequence for them as an organization.
Ref's and the League?

You mean the players?

Because I'm talking about Silver and the owners.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter to me. Just like I said about Shaq last night, he said on air that players would cuss the refs out and the refs would cuss back and it would be the end of it. You think this is the first time a player has cussed a ref out in their face? This shit happens all the time. Sit in the front row and you'll hear it. It's why they turn the mics down next to the court so its not picked up on the telecast. The ref a couple of months back (Lauren whatshername) handled it right when Draymond Green was cussing her out. He was in her face cusses and she warned him MULTIPLE times saying "Draymond, get out of my face" before tossing him.

The ref last night needs to T him up and give time to walk away. Players are going to be frustrated, especially this year because in general, the reffing has been absolute garbage. They're working in a lot of newer refs and the flat out are blowing many easy calls.

Yeah, I don't know if it's new guys or what. But refs seem to be more salty than in the past. I understand that every ref has a line that players can't cross and part of the deal is for the players to learn each refs "line" and do their best not to cross it.

Problem is, for some of these guys, it seems like their line is a dirty look from a player.

Things get emotional and tensions are high, especially this time of year. You have teams jockeying for playoff seeding and teams "playing out the string", just wanting the season to end.

Part of the refs job is to understand that and act accordingly.

Reactions: LAD

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand why he isn't in the league. If you forget the fact he can't create his own shot he's gotta nice jumper.
Yeah you would think if Kyle Korver has a job he would

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is you all time favorite Laker Kurt Rambis?

Every Lakers fan has a soft spot for Rambis. But not as their favorite player. That's gotta be Chuck Nevitt and it's pretty much unanimous. :nod:

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's hope they get a clue
Let's hope the players do too.

Some of these quick techs are ridiculous.

But, last night doesn't fall in that category.

I'm no longer willing to give Durant the benefit of the doubt because we have been here before with him.

Despite what he says, he clearly hasn't learned his lesson.

His words last time he got kicked out for the exact same thing....

Kevin Durant is apologizing to referee James Williams for behaving like a "jerk," using an expletive to describe how he acted during a victory against the Knicks on Tuesday night when the NBA Finals MVP was ejected late for a second technical.

"I wish I had handled that better obviously but it was kind of a heat-of-the-moment for me. I could be better. It was a great learning experience for me though," Durant said after practice. "... I wasn't getting picked on last night. I was being a diva last night. I've got to just own up to it. I watched it when I got home. I was wondering why he was coming at me so hard but then I watched the plays I was like,
'Yeah, I looked like a jerk out there.' It was bad. Luckily we won and we can move past it and I kind of owned up to it. I'll be better next time."

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every Lakers fan has a soft spot for Rambis. But not as their favorite player. That's gotta be Chuck Nevitt and it's pretty much unanimous. :nod:

Nevitt was smooth but he didn't have Mark Madsen's dance moves.

madsondancing.gif

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another point is the low pay scale will keep them motivated to get to the next step - the pro league. Look @ Cook. He got his chance & he took it and ran with it.
I think they will make up some ground with endorsements.

This particular kid is a top prospect.

So, there may be some shoe money out there for him to soften that blow.

Reactions: LAD

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't know if it's new guys or what. But refs seem to be more salty than in the past. I understand that every ref has a line that players can't cross and part of the deal is for the players to learn each refs "line" and do their best not to cross it.

Problem is, for some of these guys, it seems like their line is a dirty look from a player.

Things get emotional and tensions are high, especially this time of year. You have teams jockeying for playoff seeding and teams "playing out the string", just wanting the season to end.

Part of the refs job is to understand that and act accordingly.
Do you think that was the case last night?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you want them to bring in NEWER ref's?

Maybe they can steal some from the NCAA.

What's Tim Donaghy doing these days? I'm sure he could help fix the NBA.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klay Thompson is back...

Well @ least the Warriors don't have to worry about him getting all pissy & getting kicked out of a game like a certain teammate of his.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thompson being back is good news for the Warriors for sure. Durant's back as well too I believe.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you want them to bring in NEWER ref's?

Maybe they can steal some from the NCAA.

nah, i don't think NEWER ones are the answer...

I think the point tf12 touched on is valid. they kinda just have to understand the situations better and temper their rulings accordingly...

in the heat of the moment easier said than done, i know...