• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston just paid Harden a boatload of cash....I can't imagine they'd have enough to offer James. And if they found a way to get rid of contracts.....the bench would be D-Leaguer's and over the hill vets looking for a ring.

James is still most likely headed to the Lakers.

Yeah, I'm not convinced that Lebron comes to the Lakers. A lot will be determined by how much improvement the Lakers show over the course of the rest of the season.

The article wasn't very well written and doesn't put out much of a compelling case for Lebron to go to Houston and especially for how they can fit him under the cap. It seems to be entirely based around CP3 taking less money. But, if I understand the Rockets cap situation, he'd damn near have to play for free.

If memory serves, the reason the Warriors were able to sign KD (which the article doesn't mention) is that along with KD taking less than the max, they had some key players who were still on cap friendly deals. I don't think the Rockets have that.

So, as you point out, they'd be looking at a serious lack of depth. That, imo, would still leave the Warriors as the favorites because they have depth that Houston couldn't match and that would be very important in a 7 game series.

As for Houston being more attractive right now. Of course they are. But if the youngsters continue to develop, the addition of Lebron, especially if George comes with him, throws the Lakers right into the mix of contenders.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw that article in the paper this morning. I think the Lakers are truly hoping that, whatever country LiAngelo and LaMelo go to play in, Lavar goes with them.

Funny thing is, he talks about trying to get Gelo and Melo to the Lakers. Unless one of them projects to be the next MJ or Lebron...something tells me the Lakers are going to want nothing to do with them. lol
I feel so bad for the younger kid.

Gotta drop out of High School cause you have to be packaged with your criminal older brother.

With that being said, there is something to be said about living in a Foreign Country and experiencing a different Culture.

They might truly enjoy living abroad in a place like France or Italy.

Russia or Ukraine?

:poke:

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers would have to gut the roster as well just to add 2 max guys and nobody that you'd have left is near the caliber player of Harden or CP3.

I honestly don't think LeBron will come unless you get two other guys as well.

Lonzo, Ingram, Cousins, LeBron, Kuzma is not beating the Warriors.

Plus, with the Season LeBron is having, he's not ready to go into savvy vet to teach the kids mode.

Had his game regressed this year, yeah.

Playing at this level?

I don't see it.

Gut the roster....???? If they get rid of Deng, they'd be down to 35 million owed for next season....and that doesn't include getting rid of Clarkson, which they could do. The salary cap is 101.....that would give them 66 to split between 2 max type guys.....think those max guys might be willing to settle for just a bit under the max to get onto a good young squad?

And I think Houston is presently set up pretty good. You add James to a team that has Harden and CP who both dominate the ball and I don't know how that would work out. You yourself said his game hasn't
declined......would he take a back seat to Harden who is averaging 30-plus points a game?

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm not convinced that Lebron comes to the Lakers. A lot will be determined by how much improvement the Lakers show over the course of the rest of the season.

The article wasn't very well written and doesn't put out much of a compelling case for Lebron to go to Houston and especially for how they can fit him under the cap. It seems to be entirely based around CP3 taking less money. But, if I understand the Rockets cap situation, he'd damn near have to play for free.

If memory serves, the reason the Warriors were able to sign KD (which the article doesn't mention) is that along with KD taking less than the max, they had some key players who were still on cap friendly deals. I don't think the Rockets have that.

So, as you point out, they'd be looking at a serious lack of depth. That, imo, would still leave the Warriors as the favorites because they have depth that Houston couldn't match and that would be very important in a 7 game series.

As for Houston being more attractive right now. Of course they are. But if the youngsters continue to develop, the addition of Lebron, especially if George comes with him, throws the Lakers right into the mix of contenders.

Yeah, their GM would have to deal a bunch of contracts in a salary dump situation.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers would have to gut the roster as well just to add 2 max guys and nobody that you'd have left is near the caliber player of Harden or CP3.

Not necessarily. They would likely have to let Lopez and KCP go which is kind of the plan anyway and why they are on 1 year deals.

They would also likely have to let Randle and Clarkson walk, which it's not exactly a secret that they'd be willing to do.

They would have to, preferably, unload Deng's contract via trade or stretch him.

Point is, they would still have the bulk of their young core in Ball, Ingram, Kuzma and Nance. Probably much of their bench and then, of course...hopefully Lebron and PG.

If Lopez is willing to stick around for less to chase a ring...that would be good as well.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't the Lakers have to lose everyone outside of Ingram, Nance, Kuz and Lonzo to get two max spots?

I'm not sure about Clarkson.

But, Deng, Randle, KCP, Lopez have to go.

So, if you add Bron and George your depth is gone too.

Who would be on the bench besides Hart and Nance?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't the Lakers have to lose everyone outside of Ingram, Nance, Kuz and Lonzo to get two max spots?

The Lakers were doomed when Swappy P got away. What a mistake.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy is trying his best to do just that.

The Lakers can’t hope to stop LaVar. They can’t even contain him if they keep being so nice, as opposed to having someone – Magic Johnson is the one he might listen to – tell him to shut up already.

From Jeanie Buss on down, the Lakers are gritting their teeth, increasingly unable to endure LaVar’s ceaseless jibes:

Heisler: At least UCLA’s done with LaVar Ball; the Lakers aren’t – Orange County Register

Great article. I love Heisler.....he's a really good writer.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Los Angeles Lakers Team Payroll | Basketball-Reference.com

Getting rid of Deng takes them down to 35 million....Clarkson, even more.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel so bad for the younger kid.

Gotta drop out of High School cause you have to be packaged with your criminal older brother.

With that being said, there is something to be said about living in a Foreign Country and experiencing a different Culture.

They might truly enjoy living abroad in a place like France or Italy.

Russia or Ukraine?

:poke:

If memory serves, Lavar pulled LaMelo before "Chinagate" because of some beef with the coach. I'm not one that was too upset about him pulling Melo, other than the reason behind it. Imo, he's basically teaching his kids that when the going gets tough...quit.

Having said that, I agree, there is definitely something to be said for the education that would come from living and playing abroad.

Although, I do think that he may end up wishing he experienced a little more of high school, he should be able to comfort himself by looking at his bank statement. lol

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily. They would likely have to let Lopez and KCP go which is kind of the plan anyway and why they are on 1 year deals.

They would also likely have to let Randle and Clarkson walk, which it's not exactly a secret that they'd be willing to do.

They would have to, preferably, unload Deng's contract via trade or stretch him.

Point is, they would still have the bulk of their young core in Ball, Ingram, Kuzma and Nance. Probably much of their bench and then, of course...hopefully Lebron and PG.

If Lopez is willing to stick around for less to chase a ring...that would be good as well.

You have to renounce Randle if he's still there, Lopez and KCP just to have the first max slot.

Deng needs to go for the second.

Are you sure Clarkson has to go?

I mean salary wise..obviously, he needs to go for chemistry reasons.

I know some of you are down on Boogie.

I would go Boogie/ LeBron.

Paul George is good.

But, Ingram is not that far away...

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting rid of Clarkson also takes them down to 23 million owed with 8 players under contract for next season.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to renounce Randle if he's still there, Lopez and KCP just to have the first max slot.

Deng needs to go for the second.

Are you sure Clarkson has to go?

I mean salary wise..obviously, he needs to go for chemistry reasons.

I know some of you are down on Boogie.

I would go Boogie/ LeBron.

Paul George is good.

But, Ingram is not that far away...

Ingram could develop into a 20-22ppg guy next season. He's making nice progress after sucking ass his rookie year.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If memory serves, Lavar pulled LaMelo before "Chinagate" because of some beef with the coach. I'm not one that was too upset about him pulling Melo, other than the reason behind it. Imo, he's basically teaching his kids that when the going gets tough...quit.

Having said that, I agree, there is definitely something to be said for the education that would come from living and playing abroad.

Although, I do think that he may end up wishing he experienced a little more of high school, he should be able to comfort himself by looking at his bank statement. lol
Yeah, Kobe is a great example of how living abroad can enrich your life.

Mudiay and Brandon Jennings took unconventional routes too.

Ricky Rubio turned pro at the age of 14.

So, it's not unheard of.