• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they are supposed to be professionals.
So charging at a co-worker is considered professional? I think not. Professionalism went out the door right at that moment. And how do you "train" someone to disregard human nature?

It's called discipline. Most athletes have it. Look at that video where Matt Barnes tries to shake Kobe and Kobe doesn't flinch at all. You think it's human nature to just stand there like a stone cold killer? Nope. That takes discipline.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just occurred to me that this is the most anyone is going to talk about the Bulls all season.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 22 year old isn't a child.

He had more than two options. He didn't have to either (1) punch Mirotic or (2) put his hands in his pockets. And frankly, none of us know how all of this transpired exactly. Maybe Portis took a defensive stance and Mirotic came after him hard and got what was coming to him. Or maybe Portis was just looking for a reason to hit Mirotic.

In the end, the guy who throws the punch is always going to look bad.
You weren't there.

I wasn't there.

The people that were said both were at fault and Portis is being suspended because of the extent of Mirotic's injuries from the punch.

Guys fight all the time. But, most don't get their face broken.

Veteran center Robin Lopez made it clear that the rest of the Bulls' players felt there was blame on both sides of the altercation.

"We talked with Bobby," Lopez said. "Obviously he's regretful about what he did. We talked about it as a team afterwards. Everything was still so fresh. We as a team feel there's blame on both sides. When it comes down to it the punch was inexcusable."

"Our responsibility now is to be supportive of both Niko and Bobby. We’re a team. We’re a group. You have to proceed that way," Paxson said. "These types of things do happen. I’ve been a part of them. I’ve seen them. Positionally, it can happen. I used to get in these little scuffles with B.J. (Armstrong) when I played. But you can’t cross the line. And Bobby crossed the line. The result of the contact and what it’s done to Niko is really the thing that has a lot of us sitting here feeling really disappointed in this today

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that is fine. The point you're missing though, is that you can't physically charge someone. That is a perceived threat to do physical harm & causes a reaction of defense by most.
I don't know... you make it sound like this is some far out scenario, what Mirotic allegedly did... rushing up on another guy to get in his face.

That sh!t happens. Folks want to look tough, so they rush in hard to make a statement or whatever.

It may not happen every night like that, with a rush into another guy's face, but that stuff happens.

What doesn't happen is one guy taking it to the level of breaking another dude's face. Not at the highest levels.
LAD said:
So let me ask you, what happens if Portis does nothing & is charged hard enough where he falls & maybe hits the back of his head on the floor. What then? Are you saying he's supposed to see that coming & allow himself to be hurt? Come on....lets be realistic.
Well, now we're into the realm of hypotheticals. Which I'm fine with, to a point, but I just want to state that up front.

I'd say if Mirotic actually knocked Portis down... (and it wasn't just incidental contact or anything... IOW, it was actually Mirotic's force that was the prime cause that knocked Portis down)...

... then sure, that would be different. I would be much more sympathetic to Portis in that case.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called discipline. Most athletes have it. Look at that video where Matt Barnes tries to shake Kobe and Kobe doesn't flinch at all. You think it's human nature to just stand there like a stone cold killer? Nope. That takes discipline.
Stop it. You're making it sound like Portis wasn't provoked. All we're saying is BOTH should be held accountable. If you're calling for Portis to take responsibility for his action then you should have the same expectation of Mirotek & his action to charge Portis.

Also, the incident between Matt Barnes & Kobe was not the same. Barnes did NOT charge Kobe. He was trying to play a mental game with one of the most mentally sound players - and failed.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....22 year olds never make mistakes in the real world.

Reactions: LAD

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know... you make it sound like this is some far out scenario, what Mirotic allegedly did... rushing up on another guy to get in his face.

That sh!t happens. Folks want to look tough, so they rush in hard to make a statement or whatever.

It may not happen every night like that, with a rush into another guy's face, but that stuff happens.

What doesn't happen is one guy taking it to the level of breaking another dude's face. Not at the highest levels.

Well, now we're into the realm of hypotheticals. Which I'm fine with, to a point, but I just want to state that up front.

I'd say if Mirotic actually knocked Portis down... (and it wasn't just incidental contact or anything... IOW, it was actually Mirotic's force that was the prime cause that knocked Portis down)...

... then sure, that would be different. I would much more sympathetic to Portis in that case.
the problem here is you don't know how far Mirotek would've taken it & Portis didn't wait to find out. Simple as that.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop it. You're making it sound like Portis wasn't provoked. All we're saying is BOTH should be held accountable. If you're calling for Portis to take responsibility for his action then you should have the same expectation of Mirotek & his action to charge Portis.

Also, the incident between Matt Barnes & Kobe was not the same. Barnes did NOT charge Kobe. He was trying to play a mental game with one of the most mentally sound players - and failed.

The point about Kobe is that you can train yourself to disregard human nature.

Both should be held accountable. Portis has his 8 games. Mirotic is probably going to miss more than that because his face got smashed. I don't think any of that is unfair.

I don't feel bad for Mirotic. I take issue with any attempts to defend Portis. He threw a punch and now he's being punished for it, deservedly so.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem here is you don't know how far Mirotek would've taken it & Portis didn't wait to find out. Simple as that.
Well that's true of any face-to-face confrontation: there is no way to know for sure how far the other dude might take things.

Still, somehow, no one else but Bobby Portis decides to break the other dude's face.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point about Kobe is that you can train yourself to disregard human nature.

Both should be held accountable. Portis has his 8 games. Mirotic is probably going to miss more than that because his face got smashed. I don't think any of that is unfair.

I don't feel bad for Mirotic. I take issue with any attempts to defend Portis. He threw a punch and now he's being punished for it, deservedly so.
No one said he shouldn't be punished. Clearly Mirotek picked the wrong one to charge. Sometimes experience is the best teacher.

And, I don't feel sorry for Mirotek - if he provoked Portis.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow....I'm watching the Jump and Pippen said Z Bo broke a teammates face when they were in Portland.

Quentel Woods got into it with Rapist Ruben Patterson and Zbo jumped in and broke his skull.

No Twitter back then...

But, I found it....

Portland forward Zach Randolph was suspended Thursday for two games and fined $100,000 by the team after he punched teammate Ruben Patterson in the face during practice.

It was the latest in a string of discipline problems for the Trail Blazers.

Randolph also will lose almost $25,000 in salary for the two-game suspension.

The fight Wednesday began with an argument between rookie Qyntel Woods and Patterson, with Randolph stepping in later.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, somehow, no one else but Bobby Portis decides to break the other dude's face.

Not true, there are others' that have reacted similarly. This is nothing new. Only difference is Portis got "them hands" & Mriotek found out the hard way.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow....I'm watching the Jump and Pippen said Z Bo broke a teammates face when they were in Portland.

Quentel Woods got into it with Rapist Ruben Patterson and Zbo jumped in and broke his skull.

No Twitter back then...
My point exactly...this is not something new.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true, there are others' that have reacted similarly. This is nothing new. Only difference is Portis got "them hands" & Mriotek found out the hard way.
I disagree with you. What other similar situations do you have in mind?

(and I hope you aren't referring to any past, fake @ss, pansy scuffles where the parties involved clearly weren't looking to get into a real fight... they were just trying to look tough but came off looking stupid)

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No Twitter back then...

But, I found it....

Portland forward Zach Randolph was suspended Thursday for two games and fined $100,000 by the team after he punched teammate Ruben Patterson in the face during practice.

It was the latest in a string of discipline problems for the Trail Blazers.

Randolph also will lose almost $25,000 in salary for the two-game suspension.

The fight Wednesday began with an argument between rookie Qyntel Woods and Patterson, with Randolph stepping in later.

How about this part:

"Randolph threw the punch while Patterson's arms were held back by teammates who had stepped in to stop a brief skirmish between Qyntel Woods and Patterson, according to The Oregonian."

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this part:

"Randolph threw the punch while Patterson's arms were held back by teammates who had stepped in to stop a brief skirmish between Qyntel Woods and Patterson, according to The Oregonian."
He got 2 games.

Portis got 8 and he was provoked.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with you. What other similar situations do you have in mind?

(and I hope you aren't referring to any past, fake @ss, pansy scuffles where the parties involved clearly weren't looking to get into a real fight... they were just trying to look tough but came off looking stupid)
* See below

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got 2 games.

Portis got 8 and he was provoked.

Zach Randolph put up 20 and 10 the year afterward (his punch happened at the end of the year). Bulls fans would probably forget all about this if Portis puts up those numbers.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point exactly...this is not something new.

Jordan slept Kerr.

Didn't break anything, just gave him a black eye.

People are acting like Portis is Kermit Washington.

Two Dudes got into it.

Portis deserves to be suspended for the damage.

But, they are both culpable.

Reactions: LAD