• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both sides should be punished. You can't charge at a guy & not expect him to defend himself. It's a natural reaction for most to fight back - in this case he just happened to put the issues to bed - literally with one punch.

#cantblameaguyforhavingdeadlyhands

Still not sure what it means that he "charged" at Portis. As far as natural reaction, aren't these guys supposed to be professionals and aren't they supposed to be trained not to react in situations like this one? I'd love to see video of what happened.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still not sure what it means that he "charged" at Portis. As far as natural reaction, aren't these guys supposed to be professionals and aren't they supposed to be trained not to react in situations like this one? I'd love to see video of what happened.
Yes they are supposed to be professionals.
So charging at a co-worker is considered professional? I think not. Professionalism went out the door right at that moment. And how do you "train" someone to disregard human nature?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not getting details on what Mirotic did during these "charges" at Portis. Did he just walk quickly toward Portis? Did he act as if he were going to hit Portis? Did he lunge toward Portis in an aggressive manner? Did he run Portis over while Portis impotently stood still with his arms in front of his body like a video game character drawing a charge? I've got no clue what "Mirotic charged Portis" means.

Whatever happened, it sounds like Portis escalated the situation. During games, players approach other players all the time, sometimes in an aggressive manner. The player that throws a punch is always in the wrong.
You would be a fool to wait and see if a 6'9 guy is actually going to hit you while engaged in a physical altercation.

Fuck that.

Pushing, shoving, charging got him slept.

Next time, maybe don't charge the bull if you are really just a matador.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Kawhi or Parker tonight. Expecting the lineup to be Murray/Green/Gay/Aldridge/Gasol, cause Pop LOVES starting two bigs. Either way, defense will be awful. Hoping Gay and Aldridge can have big enough nights and the bench destroys Minnesota's to get the season started with a W.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GMAFB...They are human beings.

Some Dude who has already been tussling with you all afternoon runs up on you and you are just gonna put your hands in your pocket?

Lmfao

Portis is a 22 year old kid.

Neurotic is old enough to know better.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well last night's game sucked.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they are supposed to be professionals.
So charging at a co-worker is considered professional? I think not. Professionalism went out the door right at that moment. And how do you "train" someone to disregard human nature?

Some Dude who has already been tussling with you all afternoon runs up on you and you are just gonna put your hands in your pocket?

Lmfao

I don't know. I don't think I agree with y'all.

First of all, I don't think comparing a physical sport like Basketball to any other business setting is apples to apples... there is close, fairly heavy physical contact in B-ball on a routine basis. It's part of the game.

Also in B-ball... there are little tiffs and disagreements on at least a semi-regular basis. Folks argue over calls, over too much contact or too little effort, etc... and these flair ups have a much more visceral play out than in other settings.

Here's the point:

^ Even with all this physicality and close in disagreements... players don't haul off and punch each other in the face. They may pose, they may "front", they may act tough... but what happened between Portis and Euro-dude almost never happens at the highest levels.

Which leads me to conclude that Portis is wildly out-of-line in this case. Folks get heated on the court all the time, but only Portis hauls off and jacks someone else in the mouth. From the outside looking in... that's just crazy.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at least they got back in it and showed some fight after being down 18 without Hayward. Encouraging to see as a fan.

Yeah I didn't expect them to make that kind of a comeback. Too bad they couldn't pull off the W though. Boston sure has alotta young talent. Hope they just keep getting better month by month.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First of all, I don't think comparing a physical sport like Basketball to any other business setting is apples to apples... there is close, fairly heavy physical contact in B-ball on a routine basis. It's part of the game.

Also in B-ball... there are little tiffs and disagreements on at least a semi-regular basis. Folks argue over calls, over too much contact or too little effort, etc... and these flair ups have a much more visceral play out than in other settings.

Here's the point:

^ Even with all this physicality and close in disagreements... players don't haul off and punch each other in the face. They may pose, they may "front", they may act tough... but what happened between Portis and Euro-dude almost never happens at the highest levels.

Which leads me to conclude that Portis is wildly out-of-line in this case. Folks get heated on the court all the time, but only Portis hauls off and jacks someone else in the mouth. From the outside looking in... that's just crazy.
Let me be clear - I never compared sports to the business world. That was someone else.

Yes there are disagreements, even amongst team mates, and they should be able to walk away. But we can't believe it's wrong for someone to retaliate when he's being charged & not have the same expectation of the one who initiated the contact (the act of charging another person). An action led to a reaction. At the end of the day, you can't be aggressive and charge someone & not expect that person to react. And one thing I always say is you can't determine what someone's reaction should or shouldn't be. Don't cause a reaction if you're not willing to accept the consequence.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's the point:

Yeah, we just see it differently.

I'm not saying Portis is justified in punching him.

But, he was baited.

Both should be punished.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lmfao

Neurotic is old enough to know better.

A 22 year old isn't a child.

He had more than two options. He didn't have to either (1) punch Mirotic or (2) put his hands in his pockets. And frankly, none of us know how all of this transpired exactly. Maybe Portis took a defensive stance and Mirotic came after him hard and got what was coming to him. Or maybe Portis was just looking for a reason to hit Mirotic.

In the end, the guy who throws the punch is always going to look bad.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at least they got back in it and showed some fight after being down 18 without Hayward. Encouraging to see as a fan.
Said the same thing.

Further emphasizes what a bunch of bitches my Clippers have been.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me be clear - I never compared sports to the business world. That was someone else.
Fair enough.
LAD said:
Yes there are disagreements, even amongst team mates, and they should be able to walk away. But we can't believe it's wrong for someone to retaliate when he's being charged & not have the same expectation of the one who initiated the contact (the act of charging another person). An action led to a reaction. At the end of the day, you can't be aggressive and charge someone & not expect that person to react. And one thing I always say is you can't determine what someone's reaction should or shouldn't be. Don't cause a reaction if you're not willing to accept the consequence.
Here's the thing, though:

Guys get in each others face in the NBA on a nightly basis. Some guys like Jae Crowder do it multiple times per game, seemingly.

Only Portis actually takes it to the level of breaking the other dude's face.

That doesn't add up, to me. Folks refrain from overreacting to another player "fronting" all the time in this business.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would be a fool to wait and see if a 6'9 guy is actually going to hit you while engaged in a physical altercation.

Fuck that.

Pushing, shoving, charging got him slept.

Next time, maybe don't charge the bull if you are really just a matador.

He's not just some random 6'9 guy off the street. He's Portis's teammate. Speculation is that Portis was salty about the fact that Mirotic essentially held out this offseason and was then gifted the starting job. Sounds like there is more than just Portis being upset about pushing, shoving, and charging. You don't punch your own teammate.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough.

Guys get in each others face in the NBA on a nightly basis. Some guys like Jae Crowder do it multiple times per game, seemingly.

Only Portis actually takes it to the level of actually breaking the other dude's face.

That doesn't add up, to me. Folks refrain from overreacting to another player "fronting" all the time in this business.

Exactly. Portis was salty that Mirotic beat him out for the starting PF spot and is using Mirotic "charging" him as an excuse to take out his pent up anger on him. Dude needs to grow up.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Kawhi or Parker tonight. Expecting the lineup to be Murray/Green/Gay/Aldridge/Gasol, cause Pop LOVES starting two bigs. Either way, defense will be awful. Hoping Gay and Aldridge can have big enough nights and the bench destroys Minnesota's to get the season started with a W.

So Minny +2.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough.

Only Portis actually takes it to the level of actually breaking the other dude's face.

All that is fine. The point you're missing though, is that you can't physically charge someone. That is a perceived threat to do physical harm & causes a reaction of defense by most.

So let me ask you, what happens if Portis does nothing & is charged hard enough where he falls & maybe hits the back of his head on the floor. What then? Are you saying he's supposed to see that coming & allow himself to be hurt? Come on....lets be realistic.