• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 World Junior Hockey discussion

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No no...for very selfish reasons: Pittsburgh. It's only a *little* further, Canada. We all know St. Louis ain't happenin'.
I'd go to Pittsburgh for it. Even catch a Stillers game, too.

Actually almost bought tickets for this weekend's game with a co-worker (he's a Pittsburgh fan) but I'm afraid of getting murdered in a Niners jersey.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Damn, I was hoping it was in Florida. Great excuse for a winter roadtrip

Tomas Tatar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any team predictions?

United States looks interesting. As a Red Wings fan, I'm really curious if Dylan Larkin goes. Red Wings should likely have

Dylan Larkin (United States) - Top 6 forward
Joe Hicketts (Canada) - Top 4 defenseman
Axel Holmstrom (Sweden) - Top 6 forward
Dominic Turgeron (United States) - Fourth line defensive forward
Christoffer Ehn (Sweden) - Fourth line defensive forward
Evgeny Svechnikov (Russian) - Top six forward
Vili Saarijarvi (Finland) - Bottom pairing PP minutes

Not entirely sure if Larkin will be there based on his professional career.

Tomas Tatar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fabbri-Strome-
5 Islanders prospects invited to Canada's camp. I'll be shocked if Ho-Sang makes it, but you never know.

Was actually going to make a post about that. He really doesn't seem to be liked whatsoever. Michael Dal Colle seems like a lock for Canada. Barzal has a legit shot.

Feel like a better gamble would have been Ivan Barbasheov for the Isles.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago, Tampa dropped from WJHC running

Here's hoping Buffalo gets it again so we can get more shit like this:

Disillusioned by northern neighbors - The Buffalo News

I sorta feel like the whole thing is a bit of a show. I'd be shocked honestly if Buffalo didn't get it again. Despite the complaints from the BN writer, the tournament was considered to be pretty successful financially, and Buffalo now boasts a shiny new 3 rink complex (including the First Niagara rink) that forms the centerpiece of the bid.

They'll be able to host all of the games in one location and still have a practice rink available for other teams. I think USA Hockey looks kindly upon the Sabres owner too (and he owns the whole complex).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sorta feel like the whole thing is a bit of a show. I'd be shocked honestly if Buffalo didn't get it again. Despite the complaints from the BN writer, the tournament was considered to be pretty successful financially, and Buffalo now boasts a shiny new 3 rink complex (including the First Niagara rink) that forms the centerpiece of the bid.

They'll be able to host all of the games in one location and still have a practice rink available for other teams. I think USA Hockey looks kindly upon the Sabres owner too (and he owns the whole complex).
I could see Pittsburgh getting it. The local support when Buffalo hosted it was virtually non-existent. Maybe exposure for the junior game has grown in the intervening years, but had Canadians not poured into Buffalo for that tournament those games would've been played in some embarrassingly empty arenas.

Then there was the local reaction to the Canadian visitors, which, no matter how rowdy some may have gotten (present company included :whistle:), was pretty unwelcoming. The fact we were pouring in tourist dollars to a struggling city in the midst of an awful recession and local reaction was essentially "go home" was pretty insulting.

I'd make the drive to either city for games so I'm not partial to either, although Buffalo is a hell of a lot closer, but I think the IIHF and USA Hockey might be interested in seeing what kind of support they could get from a city that wouldn't be completely dependent on Canadian fans.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Pittsburgh getting it. The local support when Buffalo hosted it was virtually non-existent. Maybe exposure for the junior game has grown in the intervening years, but had Canadians not poured into Buffalo for that tournament those games would've been played in some embarrassingly empty arenas.

Then there was the local reaction to the Canadian visitors, which, no matter how rowdy some may have gotten (present company included :whistle:), was pretty unwelcoming. The fact we were pouring in tourist dollars to a struggling city in the midst of an awful recession and local reaction was essentially "go home" was pretty insulting.

I'd make the drive to either city for games so I'm not partial to either, although Buffalo is a hell of a lot closer, but I think the IIHF and USA Hockey might be interested in seeing what kind of support they could get from a city that wouldn't be completely dependent on Canadian fans.
I'm not sure they really want to see that, because the end result probably frightens them.

The IIHF knows that the tournament is a much bigger deal in Canada than anywhere else in the world. But they are required to rotate it around a bit, even though they could clearly hold it in Canada every year and make a shit-ton of money.

When they host the tournament in Europe, they typically get 4-5K people per match in attendance (sometimes significantly less). But when they held it in Buffalo they had attendance that was on par with Canada, no doubt because of the number of Canadians who attended, and 40% higher than the last time the US had hosted in MN and ND.

If you can't draw decent crowds in MN and ND, two big hockey states that are also border states (granted, no huge population centres near the border there like there is with Toronto), they have to be concerned about moving even further inland. Pittsburgh isn't too bad at about 5 1/2 hours from Toronto, but considering that Buffalo is only 2-ish, you're more than doubling the distance.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fabbri-Strome-

Was actually going to make a post about that. He really doesn't seem to be liked whatsoever. Michael Dal Colle seems like a lock for Canada. Barzal has a legit shot.

Feel like a better gamble would have been Ivan Barbasheov for the Isles.

Barzal played very well against Philly the other day. He's got sick skill. Ironically Barzal's wears #13. His favorite player is Datsyuk.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Invites to the Team Canada selection camp are out:

NooKWfI.png

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of odd that only two goalies were invited...I guess they've both made the team already.

Last edited:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Invites to the Team Canada selection camp are out:

View attachment 58932

Glad to see Thomas Chabot get an invite. He's been dynamite so far in the Q, drastically outplaying teammate and earlier 1st rounder Zboril thus far. I hope he makes the team. Kind of surprised to see that Francis Perron didn't at least get a look. 47 points in 24 games in the Q. Former 7th rounder though so that always plays a role with Hockey Canada.

Kind of odd that only two goalies were invited...I guess they're both made the team already.

what-the-fuck-is-this-shit-5.jpg