• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Training Camp

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I didn't want Kelly at the time. Some concerns about him. Was hoping they hired a couple of the others. Now that he is coach, getting behind him. Offense should be much better than Chryst. Concern is on the defensive side and how O'Neil does.

right now i tend to think the defense will be a little better than last year. At very least more depth on the line and secondary, to rotate players.

i think we fans are expecting too much out of the offense, due to Kelly? The line should be improved but we still lack that quality QB. We'll try to run as much as possible and Gabbert can get those positive passing yards. But don't see much improvement for those 3rd and long conversions.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right now i tend to think the defense will be a little better than last year. At very least more depth on the line and secondary, to rotate players.

i think we fans are expecting too much out of the offense, due to Kelly? The line should be improved but we still lack that quality QB. We'll try to run as much as possible and Gabbert can get those positive passing yards. But don't see much improvement for those 3rd and long conversions.
I see the defense being better as well. Same issue about Chipper. If the D is on the field as much as I think it will be , I don't see it helping keep the score down as it has on recent history. I hope Gabbert and CO. can make some sort of impact on the Offense.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think we are expecting too much of Kelly on offense. Chryst was awful last year. The 49er offense was among the worst in football last year. It can't get any worse and Kelly is certainly good enough to improve upon last year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think we are expecting too much of Kelly on offense. Chryst was awful last year. The 49er offense was among the worst in football last year. It can't get any worse and Kelly is certainly good enough to improve upon last year.

ok, so looked another way....how high do you think we'll rank offensively?

don't know where we ended last year, 29th? so how many teams will we pass?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, so looked another way....how high do you think we'll rank offensively?

don't know where we ended last year, 29th? so how many teams will we pass?

I can't remember where exactly where we ranked exactly. We were last in passing during the season. Not sure where we were at the end of the year. LOl, I couldn't even tell you where this team will end up offensively let alone how many teams we will pass. If I had to guess, I would say we would pass a few teams. There are so many question marks beginning at the QB position. We know the oline issues that were starting to get addressed last season, but how bad was the talent last year? How much of it was coaching? How will the new coaches do with a new scheme?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't remember where exactly where we ranked exactly. We were last in passing during the season. Not sure where we were at the end of the year. LOl, I couldn't even tell you where this team will end up offensively let alone how many teams we will pass. If I had to guess, I would say we would pass a few teams. There are so many question marks beginning at the QB position. We know the oline issues that were starting to get addressed last season, but how bad was the talent last year? How much of it was coaching? How will the new coaches do with a new scheme?

Ok, then you're not expecting too much. My guess is there are others expecting us to pass more than a few teams?

i feel our offense will get better just by improving the line, so "a few teams" is reasonable. But it ain't going 'gangbusters' Kelly hurry up offense or not. This is my opinion for this coming season only, maybe pass a few teams.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, then you're not expecting too much. My guess is there are others expecting us to pass more than a few teams?

i feel our offense will get better just by improving the line, so "a few teams" is reasonable. But it ain't going 'gangbusters' Kelly hurry up offense or not. This is my opinion for this coming season only, maybe pass a few teams.

Not sure who thinks this will be a great offense this year. I think what you are expecting is what most fans expect this year. The QB situation along with a new coaching staff installing a new system. Can't expect the offense to make a huge leap this year, just get better

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope so too!! Besides points and wins, we need to improve less sacks, more rushing yards, (TOP), 3rd Down %, Red Zone!! Lets Go Ducks/49ers!!:):) Phil is getting a little old!!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope so too!! Besides points and wins, we need to improve less sacks, more rushing yards, (TOP), 3rd Down %, Red Zone!! Lets Go Ducks/49ers!!:):) Phil is getting a little old!!

They have all but declared our intentions to run the ball, and i'm ok with that. Not always run 3 times and punt, but run enough and make the defense respect it. IF successful, it automatically addresses less sacks, TOP, Red Zone, and helps 3rd down %. This is the reason for Garnett.

In the past, say back to Nolan, a lot of fans equate 'run' with 'conservative', so we'll how this goes?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In this division with this roster probably 2 drafts away from the playoffs, if healthy/

last year's draft class seems to be progressing well. If this year's class does well too, one more 'good' draft can make us competitive, a play-off team. Granted, the big problem is QB, the hardest position to draft. We don't necessarily have to draft a QB, but obviously thats our biggest hole.

What would work the best for us is if Kaep becomes that quality QB THIS year. Yes, the odds of this is astronomical, but that is the IDEAL scenario. Cause we already have him signed for next season too. This allows Baalke to obtain the next QB, without having to play him immediately. If Kaep still wants to be traded, he gains a lot of value on the market.

We DO want Gabbert to play 'lights out' this year, but then he's a free agent.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kaep needs to show growth and the secondary,oline, wrs, Last great pick was Reid at safety!! Yahtzee!:) We need to at least make it dangerous to go across the middle!:)

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kaep needs to show growth and the secondary,oline, wrs, Last great pick was Reid at safety!! Yahtzee!:) We need to at least make it dangerous to go across the middle!:)

hmmm, the 2014 draft class wasn't so bad either, at least so far. So add more guys from last year and then this year, the overall team has a chance in 2017.

anyway, yes we need good QB play from whomever plays. No guarantee the one who starts Game 1, is the same starter all season. So at very least we're hoping for "NFL average" QB play. This should give us a decent chance to win more games this season.

Also this season, IMO the defense won't be THAT bad after strengthening the line and secondary. 'Strengthening' in this case, refers to more depth.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Under Tomsula, the 49ers had the second-lowest graded offense in 2015 and the 21st best defense. The hiring of Chip Kelly looks to improve on the offense where he inherited a similar situation in Philadelphia – elevating the third-worst offense in 2012 to the third-best in 2013.

Happen to come across this in an article.

i would expect the offense to rise about 2 notches, so say 4th worse offense in 2016? Kelly's offense should produce more yards, Hyde returns healthy for the whole (gulp!) season, and even if Gabbert continues to throw mostly short, at least there'll be more positive yards. But the lack of quality QB won't allow it to 'jump', and although we're adding Beadles and Garnett, the O-line isn't "proven".

Do think the defense has a decent chance to rise 5-6 notches, but this doesn't account for more snaps on the field. I'll revise my opinion to a rise of 4-5 notches. The main reason is better depth, specifically line and secondary. Next, the two DE's will start to make an impact against run and pass. The running lanes become a little smaller, and the passing lanes (Wilson) get a little smaller.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect this offense to be in the late teens or very early 20's this year. Thats how much Kelly helps us. Next year Offense takes a nice jump.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under Tomsula, the 49ers had the second-lowest graded offense in 2015 and the 21st best defense. The hiring of Chip Kelly looks to improve on the offense where he inherited a similar situation in Philadelphia – elevating the third-worst offense in 2012 to the third-best in 2013.

Happen to come across this in an article.

i would expect the offense to rise about 2 notches, so say 4th worse offense in 2016? Kelly's offense should produce more yards, Hyde returns healthy for the whole (gulp!) season, and even if Gabbert continues to throw mostly short, at least there'll be more positive yards. But the lack of quality QB won't allow it to 'jump', and although we're adding Beadles and Garnett, the O-line isn't "proven".

Do think the defense has a decent chance to rise 5-6 notches, but this doesn't account for more snaps on the field. I'll revise my opinion to a rise of 4-5 notches. The main reason is better depth, specifically line and secondary. Next, the two DE's will start to make an impact against run and pass. The running lanes become a little smaller, and the passing lanes (Wilson) get a little smaller.

Defense is a concern. Not sure what we are going to get from O'Neil and his staff this year. Cleveland had a really good defense under O'Neil a couple of years back and then the defense got worse. Some attribute it to HC Pettine taking a step back and letting O'Neil run the show. Others blamed the loss of talent. There were a couple of players that complained under O'Neil that they had to think too much and not just react to plays and missed plays because of it. I guess with our D it is a wait and see.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Healthy Bowman will have a monster year. He looks good running around. Looks quicker.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
O'Neil: Ward one of 49ers' top 11 defensive players

“Obviously, we’re going to go fast, so teams for us (will) try to run the ball a little bit more to wind the clock and keep their defense off the field,” O’Neil said.

Jim O'Neil talking about how the 49er offense is going fast, and another effect to the defensive unit. Very interesting and more so it makes sense to strengthen the D-line.

Of course this effect only appears if your offense sustains most drives.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
▪ The 49ers once had an outside linebacker, Manny Lawson, who wanted to add mass to his frame. Lawson tried for years to bulk up – it took a long time and he had mixed results. Eli Harold seems to have had no such issues. He’s up to 270 pounds or so and the new weight seems evenly distributed. He’s been moving around well. With Ahmad Brooks working his way back from a minor injury, Harold has been the starter at right outside linebacker.

Ok good! At least from a physical standpoint. Any sack/pressure he can add will be huge.