• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Trade Rumor Thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is never too early to start talking/posting trade rumors that might be out there.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Padres say they will consider offers for Wil Myers who is having his best year and was a top 5 prospect just a couple years back. He is under contract through 2019 and is only 25.

My thought;

Walker, Romero, and Lopes
For

Myers and Pomeranz (or Ross).

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Padres say they will consider offers for Wil Myers who is having his best year and was a top 5 prospect just a couple years back. He is under contract through 2019 and is only 25.

My thought;

Walker, Romero, and Lopes
For

Myers and Pomeranz (or Ross).
We loved Walker after his first four starts. I wouldn't throw him on the chopping block yet. I think his pitch count was mis-managed in April and that's why he's been mostly ineffective since.

And, yeah, I know these guys are being babied with the pitch count compared to the old school guys, but these modern guys are not trained to throw 430 pitches over 17 days like Walker did. Especially the guys as young as Walker is, and especially in April.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We loved Walker after his first four starts. I wouldn't throw him on the chopping block yet. I think his pitch count was mis-managed in April and that's why he's been mostly ineffective since.

And, yeah, I know these guys are being babied with the pitch count compared to the old school guys, but these modern guys are not trained to throw 430 pitches over 17 days like Walker did. Especially the guys as young as Walker is, and especially in April.

I just don't see him having an out pitch. Maybe he develops it or maybe he goes the way of many pitching prospects before him and his value is nothing and we have nothing to show for him. I am less patient with these pitchers as I see them flop one after another. Give me the proven vets unless you are in a rebuild.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the Mariners’ bullpen has stumbled lately, general manager Jerry Dipoto tells Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune that he’s not planning on making an early splash on the trade market to address his relief corps. “It’s not a great time to do trades really,” said Dipoto, “but we are doing our recon, like we always do, as we prepare for July. Right now, this is our group.” Per Dutton, if the Mariners do look to upgrade their ’pen next month, it would likely be by pursuing someone that can pitch at the very back of the group, but the market isn’t exactly rife with shutdown options for the ninth inning. MLBTR’s Jeff Todd recently listed the top trade candidates from around the game and did include a fair number of relief options, though certainly not all of them are the types that the Mariners (or another club) would immediately slot into the closer’s role.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really excited about this pick.

Me too. I am hoping he lives up to expectations and that coming from a non-elite college program works in reverse.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. I am hoping he lives up to expectations and that coming from a non-elite college program works in reverse.

A lot of sources had him ranked as a top 5 prospect and that was after playing against mediocre talent. Mariners got lucky snatching him up.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of sources had him ranked as a top 5 prospect and that was after playing against mediocre talent. Mariners got lucky snatching him up.

Let us hope we say that 4 years from now, but even if not he was a great pick at #11.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see him having an out pitch. Maybe he develops it or maybe he goes the way of many pitching prospects before him and his value is nothing and we have nothing to show for him. I am less patient with these pitchers as I see them flop one after another. Give me the proven vets unless you are in a rebuild.

I think it's way too soon to give up on Walker. With Hultzen done, basically in order for them to have a viable rotation in the upcoming years it's between him and Paxton and as of now I think Walker has the best upside.

Sure he's not a finished product but developing secondary pitches is alot easier than developing a dominant number 1 pitch. Felix came in with a great fastball then an ok curve and change up but grew from there. I think expectations are a little disappointing for where he is at now just because there were rumors of big name players getting dealt for Walker. Obviously if a great trade came up take it, but a team that is essentially void of young talent getting older isn't the best way to develop a healthy franchise instead of let's hope we are competitive every 3 years.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's way too soon to give up on Walker. With Hultzen done, basically in order for them to have a viable rotation in the upcoming years it's between him and Paxton and as of now I think Walker has the best upside.

Sure he's not a finished product but developing secondary pitches is alot easier than developing a dominant number 1 pitch. Felix came in with a great fastball then an ok curve and change up but grew from there. I think expectations are a little disappointing for where he is at now just because there were rumors of big name players getting dealt for Walker. Obviously if a great trade came up take it, but a team that is essentially void of young talent getting older isn't the best way to develop a healthy franchise instead of let's hope we are competitive every 3 years.

I know what you are saying, but;

1- Being competitive every 3 years would be a huge upgrade from where we have been in the last 15 years.
2- Waiting for 'prospects' to define your franchise is like playing the lotto for your retirement. It works for some, but not for us.
3- Developing a secondary pitch is a lot easier than developing a dominant pitch, but he has developed a dominant (out) pitch so he is going to need a major secondary pitch to set him up for easier outs. Can he do it? Sure, just like all the prospect arms before him could have.

I am not for trading all prospects, but at some point you have to make that call before value has diminished.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally get what you're saying but as you and almost everyone has said is how the franchise has been. I'm not against trading guys I'd just like to eventually see them win a WS and that has never happened in my lifetime by a team full of free agents. Remember the Yankees dynasty was with mostly homegrown talent with sprinkled in free agents.

I'm not saying Walker can't get better but I think he has a good chance with the right coach since his fastball is A plus quality, he just needs to be consistent and confident in his secondary pitches. I still remember when Moyer came to Seattle, he came in with a great change up but no confidence in anything else and when he got confidence his change up became unhittable.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally get what you're saying but as you and almost everyone has said is how the franchise has been. I'm not against trading guys I'd just like to eventually see them win a WS and that has never happened in my lifetime by a team full of free agents. Remember the Yankees dynasty was with mostly homegrown talent with sprinkled in free agents.

Yankees spent more money in free agency than any other team for decades and won more championships than any other team during those decades (speaking 70's thru late 90's). Free agency was a huge part in that.

I'm not saying Walker can't get better but I think he has a good chance with the right coach since his fastball is A plus quality, he just needs to be consistent and confident in his secondary pitches. I still remember when Moyer came to Seattle, he came in with a great change up but no confidence in anything else and when he got confidence his change up became unhittable.

Moyer was a pitcher and Walker is a thrower. Throwers are a dime a dozen. The elite throwers (Felix in his prime for example) become pitchers at some point. Walker may become that as well, but 10 times more throwers have ended up bullpen arms throughout our organization that throwers that have become pitchers. I hope it happens, but I would still trade for proven vet pitchers under control than play the lotto with these 'prospects' pitchers.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees spent more money in free agency than any other team for decades and won more championships than any other team during those decades (speaking 70's thru late 90's). Free agency was a huge part in that.

Moyer was a pitcher and Walker is a thrower. Throwers are a dime a dozen. The elite throwers (Felix in his prime for example) become pitchers at some point. Walker may become that as well, but 10 times more throwers have ended up bullpen arms throughout our organization that throwers that have become pitchers. I hope it happens, but I would still trade for proven vet pitchers under control than play the lotto with these 'prospects' pitchers.

The Yankees spend more money than anyone and won 1 WS from the 70'start to present where the team more than 50% free agents. Their dynasty was from home grown guys and trades.

I was more speaking of Felix with the Walker comparison. Moyer was more of a finding a pitching coach that can get best out of you.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees spend more money than anyone and won 1 WS from the 70'start to present where the team more than 50% free agents. Their dynasty was from home grown guys and trades.

it isn't the percentage of which were which, but the quality of player and where they came from. And trades are easier to make when you can eat contracts on missed signings and/or use signings to fill holes of what you traded away. It is big.