• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Rosterbation

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember where I read it, maybe Chris Haft, but the Giants have moved on from the KT to the OF experiment. Apparently, he didn't show the instincts while in AZ in November and they decided to NOT send him to the AFL. He's an IF.

Bobby Evans was quoted after Tomlinson played the outfield in the instructional league this Fall saying "it showed it wasn't his natural position". He implied he would need A LOT of work there. He was offered by a Mexican League team to play full-time OF but as far as I know he did not take that offer.

I'm thinking that it probably is too much to expect Kelby in the OF

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the 2010 WS OF was PTB, RoRo, Ssory Doc, Torres, and Nate -- not a WS contender
The 2012 WS OF was Shark, Nady, Oxy, Herk -- not a WS contender
The 2014 WS OF was Shark, Ishi, Beast, Herk, JCP.

Conclusion: we have no freaking idea what a "WS contending OF" should look like....especially in December.

:noidea:

But nowhere did I say that we wouldn't contend with our current outfield. I was only commenting on the quality of the OF in a vacuum. Sure, there are other components of the team that could make up for it. My basic point was that the OF as a group is the weakest link we have right now, other groups being Sp, Rp, and IF/C.

Why so strident? Are you a Marco alt?

Merry Christmas.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But nowhere did I say that we wouldn't contend with our current outfield. I was only commenting on the quality of the OF in a vacuum. Sure, there are other components of the team that could make up for it. My basic point was that the OF as a group is the weakest link we have right now, other groups being Sp, Rp, and IF/C.

Why so strident? Are you a Marco alt?

Merry Christmas.
I dunno, you said that our OF was not "WS contending." That sounds a whole lot like "we can't contend" with that OF. Now, maybe what you MEANT was "the OF is our weakest link," and I'd agree there. I wasn't feeling strident, I was commenting on your conclusion. Sorry if it came across otherwise.

Chappy Channukah.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno, you said that our OF was not "WS contending." That sounds a whole lot like "we can't contend" with that OF. Now, maybe what you MEANT was "the OF is our weakest link," and I'd agree there. I wasn't feeling strident, I was commenting on your conclusion. Sorry if it came across otherwise.

Chappy Channukah.

Oh shit, now we have a new #weaklink hashtag to endure? I'm sure it will be just as delightful and brilliant this year.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yoenis Cespedes' 5 most likely landing spots

1. Giants
The Giants have already spent more than $200 million to bring in Johnny Cueto and Jeff Samardzija, so it's a question as to whether general manager Bobby Evans will have the financial flexibility to add a middle-of-the-lineup bat.

As of now, the Giants are choosing from Gregor Blanco or Jarrett Parker to start in left, but both profile better as bench pieces, which has led to speculation that San Francisco will make a move to upgrade that spot. Alex Gordon's name has been floated, but AT&T Park is notoriously tough on left-handed hitters, and Cespedes, who has power to left-center field, can also back up Angel Pagan, who has battled a variety of injuries, in center.

Bottom line: Adding Cespedes to the Giants might make them the favorite to win another even-year World Series.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

CF Pagan
2B Panik
C Posey
LF Cespedes
RF Pence
1B Belt
SS Crawford
3B Duffy
P

In my best Dick Enberg voice: "Oh, my!"

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love it if it happened, but I just don't see it.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not Bochy, but this would be an interesting lineup:

Panik
Duffy
Posey
Pence
Belt
Cespedes
Crawford
Bum
Pagan

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not Bochy, but this would be an interesting lineup:

Panik
Duffy
Posey
Pence
Belt
Cespedes
Crawford
Bum
Pagan

You could put these names in a hat and pick them randomly, and it would be an awesome lineup. I'll bet we could push near a collective .800 OPS with that lineup. Our pitchers would spend a lot more time throwing fastballs for strikes, which would be a good thing. Cespedes brings some solid and athletic defensive skills, too.

The clubhouse issue is the $130 million dollar question.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could put these names in a hat and pick them randomly, and it would be an awesome lineup. I'll bet we could push near a collective .800 OPS with that lineup. Our pitchers would spend a lot more time throwing fastballs for strikes, which would be a good thing. Cespedes brings some solid and athletic defensive skills, too.

The clubhouse issue is the $130 million dollar question.
And, oh yeah, he wouldn't cost us a pick. That would be three high-profile FA's, each filling a needed void, and we'd only lose one pick.

I'm talking myself into this one.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As stated, I would be ecstatic if they were to get Cespedes. But the clubhouse issues and the flexibility that it likely removes from an in-season transaction make me EXPECT that it will not happen.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2010 definitely would not have ended the way it did without Sanchez.

He did not have a long tenure with us, but it was epic. Good Giant (even if he was an overt doggy fan).