• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Frank Gore I'm sure rings a bell, of course that wasn't Baalke making the pick. Jaylon Smith will be a terrific player no matter where he goes and if anyone posting on here actually believe they will be contenders next season are kidding themselves so call it a wasted pick but I can't see them contending for another season or two.

ok, how long did it take Gore to play well?

anyway, you cite the exception, not the rule. justify this based on Looney, Lattimore, Carradine, and Thomas? Use these specific 49er cases as to why we should draft Jaylon Smith.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still not a reason to waste a draft pick. Cause if he doesn't pan out 2 years later, you still got nothing and we still aren't contenders for ANOTHER 2 years. Ok, that is exaggerating but the point remains, you're one player farther from contending.

the assumption is Jaylon Smith will return and play like a top 5 pick, but do we really know he'll return to form? Our experience tells us no.

the next assumption is that he'll play one year later, but our experience tells us they take two years to get on the field, if ever.

with the hard evidence the 49ers have gathered, does it make sense to keep doing it? what is that saying about doing the same thing over and over, and getting the same result?

Also this is the first real injury he's had in his career unlike a guy like Lattimore and his injury wasn't nearly as bad as Bowman's. I've watched the kid every game for 3 years and even if he's a step slower than he use to be he'll still be faster nearly every other LB in the NFL. I'm not at all concerned about drafting this guy and I hope Baalke doesn't think like you.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, how long did it take Gore to play well?

anyway, you cite the exception, not the rule. justify this based on Looney, Lattimore, Carradine, and Thomas? Use these specific 49er cases as to why we should draft Jaylon Smith.

Looney wasn't a top 5 pick and maybe the 2nd best player int he draft neither was Lattimore or Carradine or Thomas most would have been mid to late 1st round picks and Thomas just played his first season so it's hard to call him a complete flop. Carradine just might not be that good and his injury really isn't the cause of that they made him gain weight and he isn't suited for it. So really none of these guys are comparable to Jaylon Smith. You're trying to compare Cube Steak to Filet Mignon.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Barr has been Solid for the Vikings and he was often injured. Though he was never great Crabtree ended up being a solid WR and played well for the Raiders this year better than he ever did for the 49ers. Gore obviously has been great and it didn't take him that long rookie year he split carries with that bum Kevan Barlow and then he rushed for 1600 yards in his 2nd season how dare he take that long.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anthony Barr has been Solid for the Vikings and he was often injured. Though he was never great Crabtree ended up being a solid WR and played well for the Raiders this year better than he ever did for the 49ers. Gore obviously has been great and it didn't take him that long rookie year he split carries with that bum Kevan Barlow and then he rushed for 1600 yards in his 2nd season how dare he take that long.

you cite the exception and Gore who isn't even an IR player?!

If you're going to say IR players are ok, then use the recent examples of the REAL IR players....Looney, Lattimore, Carradine, and Thomas. :-)

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you're going to say IR players are ok, then use the recent examples of the REAL IR players....Looney, Lattimore, Carradine, and Thomas. :-)

We don't know if he's going to be an IR player or not I would assume so but AP came back from it quickly and Jaylon is a freak athlete like that. I'm not comparing him to those guys you are and it's apples to oranges because none of those players were the kind of player that Jaylon was or will be. None of them were top 5 picks that dropped they were marginal first round pick or 3rd round guys that dropped to the 5th. Also I see you don't have much to say about Gore basically being a beast in his 2nd year. Also this is the first injury that Jaylon has had or the first serious injury that I can think of. We aren't going to agree on this that's fine I'm done debating it with you Jaylon is worth taking even in the 2nd round probably late 1st.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We don't know if he's going to be an IR player or not I would assume so but AP came back from it quickly and Jaylon is a freak athlete like that. I'm not comparing him to those guys you are and it's apples to oranges because none of those players were the kind of player that Jaylon was or will be. None of them were top 5 picks that dropped they were marginal first round pick or 3rd round guys that dropped to the 5th. Also I see you don't have much to say about Gore basically being a beast in his 2nd year. Also this is the first injury that Jaylon has had or the first serious injury that I can think of. We aren't going to agree on this that's fine I'm done debating it with you Jaylon is worth taking even in the 2nd round probably late 1st.

the subject is drafting Jaylon Smith who will fall in line with the other IR players the 49ers drafted. it isn't about finding exceptions to the rule such as Gore and Petersen, neither of which were drafted with this IR strategy. So i didn't address Gore's 2nd season but you've completely ingnored OUR IR players. You're completely ignoring the specific examples pertaining to the Baalke and the 49ers.

yeah ok, we're not going to agree so lets leave it here.

i read J. Smith has an MCL and ACL injury, and that happened just last month. can't see him coming back after one season, not even mentioning playing like a top 5 prospect.

Last edited:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if the issue is them being IR players, then it is okay because health has not been an issue for any of the players other than Lattimore. I don't believe Looney was an IR player.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the issue is them being IR players, then it is okay because health has not been an issue for any of the players other than Lattimore. I don't believe Looney was an IR player.

I'm anxious to see how Smelter does next season. Niners need help in the wideout postion. Boldin might be gone, Patton has been inconsistent. Niners still need a true #1 receiver. T. Smith is really a #2, has very good vertical speed, but not a great route runner.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

the "IR players" are those Baalke drafted KNOWING, they wouldn't play their rookie season. i recall Looney fell into this definition, and he also knew Lattimore, Carradine, Thomas, and Smelther wouldn't play their rookie season. Immediately after the draft, Baalke doesn't say this cause it sounds bad. But fans know it from reading draft reports.

i disagree it isn't about health, other than Lattimore. But since i can't prove it, we'll leave it here.

we have seen two issues arise from this strategy....1) It takes longer for them to heal; and 2) they take longer to even play. IMO the poor play once they return, is related to the injury.

You are still saying it is lack of talent and that is all, so i'll address this AGAIN........if this is the case and Baalke drafts 'bad' talent, then do you want him to continue drafting bad talent that'll sit a year; or draft healthy talent that will pratice year 1?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% take smith in the 2nd if he is there. Surgery went well it wasnt as bad as they might as thought. He will recover they said. Him and bowman will be scary good. Smith was a top 10 talent and to get him in the 2nd rd would be awesome.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm anxious to see how Smelter does next season. Niners need help in the wideout postion. Boldin might be gone, Patton has been inconsistent. Niners still need a true #1 receiver. T. Smith is really a #2, has very good vertical speed, but not a great route runner.

I was hoping they kept Smelter on the roster this year just to see what he could do. I think they ought to just lety Boldin go. The 49ers aren't competing next year anyway, so I don't see the point of keeping a 36 year old WR that looked slow this year already and will probably be a step slower next year

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% take smith in the 2nd if he is there. Surgery went well it wasnt as bad as they might as thought. He will recover they said. Him and bowman will be scary good. Smith was a top 10 talent and to get him in the 2nd rd would be awesome.

If he were to fall in the 2nd round, that would be a steal. But even with his unfortunate situation, I think several teams will consider him in the 1st round.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If he were to fall in the 2nd round, that would be a steal. But even with his unfortunate situation, I think several teams will consider him in the 1st round.

thats ok, let them draft him with a 1st round pick.

BTW - Obviously, can't say no IR draft player will ever pan out, just the results show the odds are very low. If someone else is willing take that chance fine, but we shouldn't.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

this is what we thought with Carradine, we all did.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

ok, if surgery went well and he isn't going to sit one year (minimum), then he isn't an "IR" prospect. So depends on what you mean by "He will recover they said."? Recover for the next season, for the following season, in two seasons? Anyway, i'll leave this IR topic alone now. :-)

Anyway, not concerned we'll draft Jaylon Smith in particular, Baalke isn't in a position to even use the 2nd rounder on him. Baalke is on the hot seat and will go harder in free agency, and then draft for Need. NOT what we want ideally, but he is now 'do or die'.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the "IR players" are those Baalke drafted KNOWING, they wouldn't play their rookie season. i recall Looney fell into this definition, and he also knew Lattimore, Carradine, Thomas, and Smelther wouldn't play their rookie season. Immediately after the draft, Baalke doesn't say this cause it sounds bad. But fans know it from reading draft reports.

i disagree it isn't about health, other than Lattimore. But since i can't prove it, we'll leave it here.

we have seen two issues arise from this strategy....1) It takes longer for them to heal; and 2) they take longer to even play. IMO the poor play once they return, is related to the injury.

You are still saying it is lack of talent and that is all, so i'll address this AGAIN........if this is the case and Baalke drafts 'bad' talent, then do you want him to continue drafting bad talent that'll sit a year; or draft healthy talent that will pratice year 1?

I don't think Looney was an IR player. He was just considered a backup. How long did they really take to heal? Martin pretty much was pretty much playing right away. Carradine was healed up and ready to play but Fangio wouldn't play him. Fangio publicly stated that Carradine was undisciplined and would find himself out of position on run plays, probably due to learning a new position in a different defense than what he was used to in college. From the reports I've read, Brandon Thomas is physically okay to play but gets abused by bull rushes. While we don't know for sure whether injuries have played a factor with these players, I believe if injuries were an issue there would be reports of that coming out in the media and I just am seeing none of that and I read alot of 49er reports. On top of that, we aren't even seeing these players missing repeated time for injuries related to their college issues. The issues these players are having come from things unrelated to health. That really appears the case with Martin, Carradine, and Thomas.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He'll draft bad talent regardless. Smith isn't bad talent he's one of if not the best College LB I've seen since watching football so pass on that if you want (I include Willis in that).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He'll draft bad talent regardless. Smith isn't bad talent he's one of if not the best College LB I've seen since watching football so pass on that if you want (I include Willis in that).

yes, this is possible based on his recent track record....unfortunately.

We ALL thought the same with Carradine, that he isn't bad talent.

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would say three to four of those picks were his recievers faults. The utah game he throw four or five and three of them were because his recievers were dropping passes and they would then get picked off.
Goff had some awful talent around him. Ive seen 3 of his games and his oline was a sieve in 2 of them and his WR gave the other team the ball on multiple occassions in the Utah game.

Goff = Matt Ryan. A guy who can come in right away, a guy thats going to win with talent around him and a guy thats not quite ever going to be elite and a guy who will mail in a couple of games every year.

Lynch = Blake Bortles. A guy who needs to sit for a couple of years but has size and some talent. Any team taking him expecting him to start next year is throwing away the season.

Cook = Nick Foles. Not sure he can make a downfield pass in the NFL but if you can make a scheme where the play is obvious then he might get the ball there.