• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is this an "IR" situation again? don't know his injury or extent of it, but if this is an IR situation, my opinion is NO.

Carradine was considered a top 10 talent.
Go for it. J. Smith was the best LB in the nation. Yes he tore his ACL and MCL but I would take the risk. We haven't drafted a pro bowler in the 2nd rd in a long time so why not take a chance.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go for it. J. Smith was the best LB in the nation. Yes he tore his ACL and MCL but I would take the risk. We haven't drafted a pro bowler in the 2nd rd in a long time so why not take a chance.

GAH...he has soooo much talent...but I can't see Balk going back to that philosophy with the amount of non producing picks we've had in the past especially with current amount of pressure to get guys that can make an impact. His knee is TORCHED...that said so was Bowmans, but he'd already proved himself as a Pro Bowler at the NFL level and earned the right to rehab and attempt a return.

With so many glaring needs I would say no...unless our team doctors think they can put him back into playing shape and he can be a contributor.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GAH...he has soooo much talent...but I can't see Balk going back to that philosophy with the amount of non producing picks we've had in the past especially with current amount of pressure to get guys that can make an impact. His knee is TORCHED...that said so was Bowmans, but he'd already proved himself as a Pro Bowler at the NFL level and earned the right to rehab and attempt a return.

With so many glaring needs I would say no...unless our team doctors think they can put him back into playing shape and he can be a contributor.
The only way I say no is what u said, we have so many holes but I am a little bias because I'm a ND fan and I know how good he is/was.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NO:nono:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go for it. Take a Risk. Screw it. We are going to draft another 2nd rd bust any ways.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may not last till the 2nd round. Niners need healthy players who can contribute right away. So no to drafting anymore injured players and try to stash them away.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i'd bet our team doctors thought all previous IR players would be good the next season.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd bet our team doctors thought all previous IR players would be good the next season.
They say Smelter looks good. So I say keep going and we will hit a home run soon and that HR can be J. Smith best LB in the country.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree from here on out that we draft healthy players but I will also say again the whole IR thing is overblown. Yes, Lattimore didn't pan out because of his injury and Ward lost part of his rookie season because of a post surgery issue. But if you look at all the IR players drafted, it isn't their past injuries that have held them back, it that they just aren't good players period. Had these players lived up to their pre draft hype, we wouldn't even be talking about it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree from here on out that we draft healthy players but I will also say again the whole IR thing is overblown. Yes, Lattimore didn't pan out because of his injury and Ward lost part of his rookie season because of a post surgery issue. But if you look at all the IR players drafted, it isn't their past injuries that have held them back, it that they just aren't good players period. Had these players lived up to their pre draft hype, we wouldn't even be talking about it.

Yes, who Baalke selects is an issue too, one that i see as a separate topic. IMO you shouldn't mix these two, cause it makes it harder to view.

Anyway, to others who still believe in it..............IF Baalke is going to be wrong anyway, do you want him to be wrong on a healthy player, or on an IR player?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, who Baalke selects is an issue too, one that i see as a separate topic. IMO you shouldn't mix these two, cause it makes it harder to view.

Anyway, to others who still believe in it..............IF Baalke is going to be wrong anyway, do you want him to be wrong on a healthy player, or on an IR player?

The 49ers are in a different place today so the IR strategy makes a lot less sense. I would say the same thing about the project/upside strategy.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is this an "IR" situation again? don't know his injury or extent of it, but if this is an IR situation, my opinion is NO.

Carradine was considered a top 10 talent.

Probably he tore his ACL and MCL but Caradine isn't the same kind of talent as Jaylon Smith, he's basically Patrick Willis but probably a little more athletic.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also does anyone really expect to compete next year with the QB's we have I don't so what's the difference if the guy can play in 2016 or 2017 he's probably a top 5 or 10 pick that could drop and not because of off field issues or poor play on the field that doesn't happen a lot.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably he tore his ACL and MCL but Caradine isn't the same kind of talent as Jaylon Smith, he's basically Patrick Willis but probably a little more athletic.

Carradine doesn't seem to be having an issue with his old injury. The problem with Carradine is the team bulked him up and tried playing him as an interior lineman which ultimately failed. Now they are seeing if he can play as an outside rusher similar to his position in college.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carradine doesn't seem to be having an issue with his old injury. The problem with Carradine is the team bulked him up and tried playing him as an interior lineman which ultimately failed. Now they are seeing if he can play as an outside rusher similar to his position in college.

I was merely stating that they were comparing apples to oranges in this instance. I couldn't recall injury holding him back this season so I had assumed it was something else.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yes, the concept is to get a steal on these guys, by getting them a round later due to injury. It is relative to each player/round, so you're hoping to 'steal' a 2nd round talent in round 3, a 3rd in round 4. This has some merit except we now have RESULTS of how this works. We're no longer trying to see how it goes, we have a good track record going back to the 2012 draft (Looney).

So now some are salivating that we take J. Smith so next season he is a STEAL. Didn't Baalke think all previous IR players were steals? Didn't Baalke/Doctors think they'd all return next season, and perform like steals? i know we fans expecially liked the Carradine and Lattimore picks.

We have solid evidence that it ain't pretty, and ain't even close. For one thing they don't play like they did pre-injury, next they take much longer to return.....if they can return.

I'm ok if you do this round 5 and lower, but leets stop wasting a Round 2th to 4th pick. Having a deep team or extra picks doesn't matter, you're still wasting a pick.

Last edited:

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the concept is to get a steal on these guys, by getting them a round later due to injury. It is relative to each player/round, so you're hoping to 'steal' a 2nd round talent in round 3, a 3rd in round 4. This has some merit except we now have RESULTS of how this works. We're no longer trying to see how it goes, we have a good track record going back to the 2012 draft (Looney).

So now some are salivating that we take J. Smith so next season he is a STEAL. Didn't Baalke think all previous IR players were steals? Didn't Baalke/Doctors think they'd all return next season, and perform like steals? i know we fans expecially liked the Carradine and Lattimore picks.

We have solid evidence that it ain't pretty, and ain't even close. For one thing they don't play like they did pre-injury, next they take much longer to return.....if they can return.

I'm ok if you do this round 5 and lower, but leets stop wasting a Round 2th to 4th pick. Having a deep team or extra picks doesn't matter, you're still wasting a pick.

Frank Gore I'm sure rings a bell, of course that wasn't Baalke making the pick. Jaylon Smith will be a terrific player no matter where he goes and if anyone posting on here actually believe they will be contenders next season are kidding themselves so call it a wasted pick but I can't see them contending for another season or two.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also most of his picks that go on the IR are marginal 1st round talents or guys that might have been 2nd or 3rds that he takes in the 3rd, 4th or 5th rounds very rarely does he take a guy that up until last week was a top 5 pick in the late first or early 2nd round.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Frank Gore I'm sure rings a bell, of course that wasn't Baalke making the pick. Jaylon Smith will be a terrific player no matter where he goes and if anyone posting on here actually believe they will be contenders next season are kidding themselves so call it a wasted pick but I can't see them contending for another season or two.

still not a reason to waste a draft pick. Cause if he doesn't pan out 2 years later, you still got nothing and we still aren't contenders for ANOTHER 2 years. Ok, that is exaggerating but the point remains, you're one player farther from contending.

the assumption is Jaylon Smith will return and play like a top 5 pick, but do we really know he'll return to form? Our experience tells us no.

the next assumption is that he'll play one year later, but our experience tells us they take two years to get on the field, if ever.

with the hard evidence the 49ers have gathered, does it make sense to keep doing it? what is that saying about doing the same thing over and over, and getting the same result?