• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff had some awful talent around him. Ive seen 3 of his games and his oline was a sieve in 2 of them and his WR gave the other team the ball on multiple occassions in the Utah game.

Goff = Matt Ryan. A guy who can come in right away, a guy thats going to win with talent around him and a guy thats not quite ever going to be elite and a guy who will mail in a couple of games every year.

Lynch = Blake Bortles. A guy who needs to sit for a couple of years but has size and some talent. Any team taking him expecting him to start next year is throwing away the season.

Cook = Nick Foles. Not sure he can make a downfield pass in the NFL but if you can make a scheme where the play is obvious then he might get the ball there.

At least judging by your comparisons, none of the QBs above are worthy of a high 1st round pick. Some have Cleveland taking Goff with their #1. I am leaning toward Goff at this point.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he were to fall in the 2nd round, that would be a steal. But even with his unfortunate situation, I think several teams will consider him in the 1st round.
Yeah I can see a late pick that can take a chance on him like the Pats, Seattle or Arizona. A team like that. Pitt could use a player like smith.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff had some awful talent around him. Ive seen 3 of his games and his oline was a sieve in 2 of them and his WR gave the other team the ball on multiple occassions in the Utah game.

Goff = Matt Ryan. A guy who can come in right away, a guy thats going to win with talent around him and a guy thats not quite ever going to be elite and a guy who will mail in a couple of games every year.

Lynch = Blake Bortles. A guy who needs to sit for a couple of years but has size and some talent. Any team taking him expecting him to start next year is throwing away the season.

Cook = Nick Foles. Not sure he can make a downfield pass in the NFL but if you can make a scheme where the play is obvious then he might get the ball there.
No way I would touch Cook. Very over rated QB. I don't mind taking a risk on Geoff. I'm not a big fan but I do see upside if he can reach it. Lynch not a Big fan of him.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, this is possible based on his recent track record....unfortunately.

We ALL thought the same with Carradine, that he isn't bad talent.
I agree but Carradine shouldn't even be in the same sentence as a guy like Smith.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least judging by your comparisons, none of the QBs above are worthy of a high 1st round pick. Some have Cleveland taking Goff with their #1. I am leaning toward Goff at this point.

I wouldn't be too angry with Goff but they may not get the chance to take him and I would be pissed if they drafted Cook or the Memphis kid at #7.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Goff is there, take him. I haven't seen him much at all, but it'll at least keep me somewhat interested in football.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cleveland doesn't take him, he could fall to us

Dallas might just draft a QB. Romo if often injured and and is getting older (35 yrs old). They need a futute starter down the road and a capable backup after what happened this year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree but Carradine shouldn't even be in the same sentence as a guy like Smith.

not saying Carradine is in the same conversation, close but not quite. Carradine was thought by some as a top 10 talent. No one is going to admit or believe it now, but we read that back them.

Point is, the odds are high we get the same result with Smith in two seasons. Doesn't matter who the player is, when this type of severe injury occurs, he does NOT come back 100%. you guys are very enamored with his talent...PRE-INJURY. Blinded by it really.

Anyway, it isn't really J. Smith because we won't draft him. But it is any IR player before Round 5.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not saying Carradine is in the same conversation, close but not quite. Carradine was thought by some as a top 10 talent. No one is going to admit or believe it now, but we read that back them.

Point is, the odds are high we get the same result with Smith in two seasons. Doesn't matter who the player is, when this type of severe injury occurs, he does NOT come back 100%. you guys are very enamored with his talent...PRE-INJURY. Blinded by it really.

Anyway, it isn't really J. Smith because we won't draft him. But it is any IR player before Round 5.

Not even close and J Smith is a top 5 or 10 pick by everyone standards not some so a huge difference. I would say Bowman has come back from a worse injury than this just fine, the injury didn't have nerve damage as it was originally feared so not nearly as severe as it was made out to be.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He certainly is correct applying the crap-shoot analogy to his body of work. His drafts have lacked skill, logic and common sense. The past three years, he drafted five players with torn ACLs, and none of them has amounted to anything.

If Baalke had simply drafted healthy people, his results would be better. How bad are his results? In six years as the 49ers’ general manager, Baalke has drafted only four Pro Bowlers — NaVorro Bowman, Mike Iupati, Aldon Smith and Eric Reid.

Sometimes he is gruff about it, but sometimes Grant Cohn makes good sense. Above, he is referring to Baalke and drafting players.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
7. 49ers
Jared Goff, QB, California

Listed at 6-foot-3-plus, 210 pounds. May be a year away physically. But the next coach will want his own quarterback not named Gabbert or Kaepernick. “Physically he reminds me of Peyton Manning as a junior,” NFL Draftinsider.net guru Tony Pauline said. “But he also reminds me of Peyton Manning in a sense that he’s smart, he’s incredibly accurate. He doesn’t make his receivers work to catch the ball, hits them in stride, puts the ball in front of them. He’s got that Manning/Matt Ryan sort of pinpoint accuracy. He’s got an above-average arm, he doesn’t have an elite arm.

8. Dolphins
Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

Modal Triggernd-lineman.jpg
Ronnie StanleyPhoto: AP
Ryan Tannehill has been sacked 184 times in his four NFL seasons. Stanley can be a plug-and-play right tackle to move Ja’Wuan James inside and future LT with 31-year-old Branden Albert banged-up last season. Mike Tannenbaum loves smart offensive linemen (D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold).

9. Buccaneers
DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon

An imposing 6-foot-7, 290-pounder who entered the season as the highest-rated senior prospect by NFL scouting services. A better, more versatile, refined football player than 49er and former Duck Arik Armstead. Changes direction well, holds the point of attack, can rush from inside. Gerald McCoy needs help. Could consider Florida cornerback Vernon Hargreaves.

at this point Goff is a no brainer, even without an elite arm.

should both QB's be off the board, Ronnie Stanley would be ok IMO. i know A. Davis intends to return, but if Stanley is the clear value, draft him.

don't think Baalke can take Buckner even if he wanted, just after drafting Armstead. BTW - Buckner played HS ball in Hawaii.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State

The heat is on Jerry Reese to pluck an impact player for a once-proud defense. You never can have enough good pass rushers, and Steve Spagnuolo didn’t have any last season. He may need to find one in free agency. Perhaps it is time to address the linebacker position for a change. Here is a 6-foot-2, 240-pound playmaker. “Tremendous three-down linebacker,” Pauline said. “Vicious hitter.” Can play outside or inside.

IF this guy is a good pass rusher too, he may be the guy should both QB's be gone.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He certainly is correct applying the crap-shoot analogy to his body of work. His drafts have lacked skill, logic and common sense. The past three years, he drafted five players with torn ACLs, and none of them has amounted to anything.

If Baalke had simply drafted healthy people, his results would be better. How bad are his results? In six years as the 49ers’ general manager, Baalke has drafted only four Pro Bowlers — NaVorro Bowman, Mike Iupati, Aldon Smith and Eric Reid.

Sometimes he is gruff about it, but sometimes Grant Cohn makes good sense. Above, he is referring to Baalke and drafting players.

I read this article too Deep, and when Baalke said that drafting is a crap shoot, that's BS. The Seahawks on the other hand have drafted 8 Pro Bowlers in the same period. It's obvious that Baalke just does not get it.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time since Baalke has been GM I have scratched my head on his picks. I have a bald spot now.I've heard some say "In Baalke We Trust" but I never saw his picks as notable. This draft will be the nail.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Every time since Baalke has been GM I have scratched my head on his picks. I have a bald spot now.I've heard some say "In Baalke We Trust" but I never saw his picks as notable. This draft will be the nail.

2011 was looking REAL good till Kaep started falling off. Aldon was a big plus too, till he started having off field issues.

Yeah, 2012 is infamous and 2013 didn't go well either. 2014 isn't so bad and Borland's retirement isn't Baalke's fault. The thing i see with 2014, is Reid not doing as well nowadays.

2015 isn't so bad for their rookie seasons, it might end up being a good class next season. So close to "the nail", but 2014 and 2014 just might be enough for a following season? Clearly, the big factor is QB, poor QB play makes everyone look worse.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2011 was looking REAL good till Kaep started falling off. Aldon was a big plus too, till he started having off field issues.

Yeah, 2012 is infamous and 2013 didn't go well either. 2014 isn't so bad and Borland's retirement isn't Baalke's fault. The thing i see with 2014, is Reid not doing as well nowadays.

2015 isn't so bad for their rookie seasons, it might end up being a good class next season. So close to "the nail", but 2014 and 2014 just might be enough for a following season? Clearly, the big factor is QB, poor QB play makes everyone look worse.

Armstead has showed some promise and both Taart and Harold played well. Brown should have been on the field earlier. I don't know why Baalke drafted Bell in the 4th round and Pinion in the 5th round. Pinion had a horrible rookie season punting. He had 67% of his kickoffs unreturnable.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Armstead has showed some promise and both Taart and Harold played well. Brown should have been on the field earlier. I don't know why Baalke drafted Bell in the 4th round and Pinion in the 5th round. Pinion had a horrible rookie season punting. He had 67% of his kickoffs unreturnable.

Yeah, Armstead seems to be coming along ok. Harold IMO is 'sort of' coming along? Tartt did the best of this class and looks like he'll start next season.

At draft time I could see the logic in drafting Pinion, so i was ok with that. but if you want to evaluate to date performace, yes, not quite as good on punts and not quite as good on 'inside the 20'. Not sure on kick-offs but yes, he was supposed to be very good at it.

We knew his punting average wouldn't equal Andy Lee, but was hoping Pinion had more hang time. This is where i'd like to see more consistency, getting hang time.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas might just draft a QB. Romo if often injured and and is getting older (35 yrs old). They need a futute starter down the road and a capable backup after what happened this year.
I do think Dallas takes a QB but not with their 1st pick this year. If their was a Payton, Luck or a Top notch QB out there and it fell in there lap yes but not in this QB class. Only team we have to worry about is Cleveland and any team that tries to trade up.