• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree they should sit a year but if you are being told they'll have to sit a year or two they aren't a top 10 pick.

IDK, there is more pressure these days to start 1st round QB picks but not all are ready to start their first year. John Elway really struggled his first year was benched and came back later. It wouldn't have hurt him to sit a year. This QB class is not a strong one and there seems to be agreement among a number of the so-called experts that every QB in this class would benefit from sitting the first year, even Goff.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only hope for the draft is that the Niners don't force a pick, especially in the first. I don't care how dire our QB need is...don't draft a QB JUST to draft a QB. Don't pull a Weeden. Don't pull a Manziel. If the guy has value, fine. But if Baalke really feels that Goff or Lynch or Cook aren't worthy of the 7th pick in the draft, then DON'T do it. Lord knows, our needs throughout the roster are such that we can easily find other guys more worthy of the pick, than forcing a round QB into a square hole.

BTW, I'm relatively agnostic on any of the QB's, though I am a bit leery of having to yet again go through teaching a guy how to operate in a typical pro-set offense.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only hope for the draft is that the Niners don't force a pick, especially in the first. I don't care how dire our QB need is...don't draft a QB JUST to draft a QB. Don't pull a Weeden. Don't pull a Manziel. If the guy has value, fine. But if Baalke really feels that Goff or Lynch or Cook aren't worthy of the 7th pick in the draft, then DON'T do it. Lord knows, our needs throughout the roster are such that we can easily find other guys more worthy of the pick, than forcing a round QB into a square hole.

BTW, I'm relatively agnostic on any of the QB's, though I am a bit leery of having to yet again go through teaching a guy how to operate in a typical pro-set offense.

I am with you on that point. I hope they go another route with the QB this time. A source said it was unlikely Baalke would take Goff or Lynch in the 1st round, so I doubt they would take any other QB either. I am okay with taking Goff 1st round but that is about it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

no question.

How many colleges still use "a pro set" offense? Of those that do, how often does a 1st round QB come out of that school? Not disagreeing with you at all, but saying it is more likely we have to decide on a non pro-set QB.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a fair point. I'm simply saying I'd rather avoid it if possible, there have been too many guys who just don't adapt well...or at all. If he's worth #7, I'd be ok with Goff and Cal's offense is hardly an NFL offense. In fact, with Goff I'm really more concerned about his body. The way he looks now, I'm afraid he'd get snapped like a twig by some pass rusher. I guess a year in an NFL weight training facility will take care of that. Something else to add to his checklist.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I originally stated that Goff would need to sit a year maybe two if Gabbert levels up and plays out of his mind. I highly doubt it but if Gabbert plays at a high level next year why replace him. Gabbert is no drew brees but a little more seasoning never hurt anybody.

i'm ok with this too, sorry if i didn't put it together from previous posts. Ok because you're projecting Goff sits one year, not two.

These are really two different topics, one on drafting Goff and the second on Gabbert "playing out of his mind".

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take a CB or pass rusher at 7 and wait on a QB until later. That is assuming Davis comes back if not then I'm taking a Tackle because the O-Line at least right side was terrible.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm for taking care of our other needs before addressing a QB. We need so much help right now elsewhere that I'm willing to give Kaep ad Kelly a shot for a year.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm for taking care of our other needs before addressing a QB. We need so much help right now elsewhere that I'm willing to give Kaep ad Kelly a shot for a year.

I think they've painted themselves into that corner at this point. If Davis comes back that helps but they still need a Guard, I don't recall how Kilgore played after coming back but an upgrade at Center wouldn't hurt either (Nick Martin out of Notre Dame might be good mid round addition). So basically they need two CB's because the guys Baalke has drafted stink, a potentially a WR, an ILB, a pass rusher and probably another D-Lineman because I don't think Tank can get it done.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm ok with this too, sorry if i didn't put it together from previous posts. Ok because you're projecting Goff sits one year, not two.

These are really two different topics, one on drafting Goff and the second on Gabbert "playing out of his mind".

Yea, i project goff sitting a year to get bigger and pick up the speed of the game. I doubt we draft a qb now the chip is here though because he likes gabbert and kaep and will want to work with them instead of just finding his own qb and moving on from the trash heap that is the qb depth chart

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mel Kiper mock draft

7. San Francisco 49ers

*Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss
This is a spot where you can see the quarterback position coming into play -- or a number of positions given what happened to this roster over the past 12 months -- but if the 49ers decide to build around a QB currently on the roster with the hopes of being more competitive in 2016 (something starting a rookie QB won't help) then Treadwell could really help the offense. He has a ton of experience as a true No. 1 and against top defenses, and brings size, hands, physicality and potential for early returns.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mel Kiper mock draft

7. San Francisco 49ers

This is a spot where you can see the quarterback position coming into play -- or a number of positions given what happened to this roster over the past 12 months -- but if the 49ers decide to build around a QB currently on the roster with the hopes of being more competitive in 2016 (something starting a rookie QB won't help) then Treadwell could really help the offense. He has a ton of experience as a true No. 1 and against top defenses, and brings size, hands, physicality and potential for early returns.

I really like this pick. Might as well give Kaep another weapon and see if we can get him turned around before we just write him off.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mel Kiper mock draft

7. San Francisco 49ers

I really like this pick. Might as well give Kaep another weapon and see if we can get him turned around before we just write him off.

Just kidding when I adjust your quote.--------> Might as well give Kaep another weapon TO IGNORE @ WR and see if we can get him turned around before we just write him off.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just kidding when I adjust your quote.--------> Might as well give Kaep another weapon TO IGNORE @ WR and see if we can get him turned around before we just write him off.

Our next QB will also need weapons. It's better to start with them than to be trying to get them in year 2 and 3.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see drafting a QB, but the issue is where. If Goff is already taken, then to me it is a non issue as I don't see any other QB in this draft worthy of the 49ers 1st pick

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Our next QB will also need weapons. It's better to start with them than to be trying to get them in year 2 and 3.

i wouldn't be mad if we went WR, because he just might be the best value at that point? But knowing what we know now, i'll guess a linemen. At #7 overall, you'd have to go LT even if he won't play LT his rookie season. IF you evaluate a 'franchise' LT, that has to be the pick.

If no 'franchise' LT, then DL could be best value? Yes, we seem be have enough DL, but still go with the value. Things change too fast in the NFL, plus knowing how our D will be taxed.

We're committing to Kelly and Kaep, so QB isn't the pick. There doesn't appear to be any OLB with big pass rush skills? So looking at the mocks now, looks like a linemen.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're committing to Kelly and Kaep, so QB isn't the pick.

I'm not so sure about that. I mean....everybody assumes as such, and it would be the most logical conclusion, but......what if Kelly has seen enough of Kaepernick already, and feels he's beyond repair?

Just sayin'