• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Armstead seems to be coming along ok. Harold IMO is 'sort of' coming along? Tartt did the best of this class and looks like he'll start next season.

At draft time I could see the logic in drafting Pinion, so i was ok with that. but if you want to evaluate to date performace, yes, not quite as good on punts and not quite as good on 'inside the 20'. Not sure on kick-offs but yes, he was supposed to be very good at it.

We knew his punting average wouldn't equal Andy Lee, but was hoping Pinion had more hang time. This is where i'd like to see more consistency, getting hang time.
Yeah I like what I saw from Armstead, Harold and tartt. If Smelter comes in next year and helps this class wouldnt be that bad.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2015 class might be the best class that Baalke has drafted.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Armstead has showed some promise and both Taart and Harold played well. Brown should have been on the field earlier. I don't know why Baalke drafted Bell in the 4th round and Pinion in the 5th round. Pinion had a horrible rookie season punting. He had 67% of his kickoffs unreturnable.

Player A:
Punt Yds Avg In20 In10 FC TB Long BP OPR OPRY
96 3990 41.6 25 7 17 8 81 0 51 445

Player B:

91 3969 43.6 31 2 22 5 62 0 43 282

Which first year player is which? Who had the better year, and on what basis?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sturm's 2016 NFL Draft Preview Series: What I see in Memphis QB Paxton Lynch | SportsDay

this guy thinks Paxton Lynch is worth it. If what he wrote is close to reality, i'll agree.

BUT, he does say better to let him sit 12 to 24 months, for me it would need to project 12. If he NEEDS 24 months of sitting, that doesn't look like a #7 overall pick.

Exactly to me if they guy needs to sit a year he isn't a top 10 pick. Most teams don't want to throw the rookie straight into the fire although it happens more often these days than it ever has.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly to me if they guy needs to sit a year he isn't a top 10 pick. Most teams don't want to throw the rookie straight into the fire although it happens more often these days than it ever has.

QB's can sit because majority of rookie qbs are not ready so why ruin your investment. Sometimes it pays to play the long game instead of the short.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB's can sit because majority of rookie qbs are not ready so why ruin your investment. Sometimes it pays to play the long game instead of the short.

I agree they should sit a year but if you are being told they'll have to sit a year or two they aren't a top 10 pick.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Player A:
96 3990 41.6 25 7 17 8 81 0 51 445

Player B:

91 3969 43.6 31 2 22 5 62 0 43 282

Which first year player is which? Who had the better year, and on what basis?

Player C! What's your point?

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is simply that one punter was Andy Lee's first year stats, the other is Brad Pinion. For those of us old enough to remember, Andy Lee was a decent but hardly great punter starting out. It was a couple of years before he started showing the form that made him such a superb punter. Brad Pinion didn't set the world on fire this year, but he was decent enough and not that different in performance from Lee at the same point in his career. Maybe he develops like Lee did, maybe he doesn't. But throwing him under the bus at this point seems a bit rash. Give the kid some time, see what he turns into.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is simply that one punter was Andy Lee's first year stats, the other is Brad Pinion. For those of us old enough to remember, Andy Lee was a decent but hardly great punter starting out. It was a couple of years before he started showing the form that made him such a superb punter. Brad Pinion didn't set the world on fire this year, but he was decent enough and not that different in performance from Lee at the same point in his career. Maybe he develops like Lee did, maybe he doesn't. But throwing him under the bus at this point seems a bit rash. Give the kid some time, see what he turns into.

No one is throwing him under the bus. I was just stating the obvious that he struggled punting, his net average was 39.4 which ranked him 23rd. With the struggles of the Niners offensively, it was imperative that he did a better job. Hopefully he will better next year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree if u need to sit 2 years that sounds more like a 2nd to 3rd rd pick not a Top 7 pick. The most I want to see is sit for 1 year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree, Rogers is a perfect example but again we are talking about a Top 7 pick. In no way u can wait 2 years. Its not worth it at that price.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree, Rogers is a perfect example but again we are talking about a Top 7 pick. In no way u can wait 2 years. Its not worth it at that price.

Rodgers is a good example of course he wasn't picked in the top 10.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if you could have rodgers right now but would have to wait two years to have him at his current level. You are telling me that you wouldn't do that?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you could have rodgers right now but would have to wait two years to have him at his current level. You are telling me that you wouldn't do that?
no not with a Top 7 pick. I cant see a franchise waiting 2 years for a Top 10 pick to play. then wait another 2-3 years to hit is prime years with offense. Top 10 picks are suppose to play right away and with QBs no longer then 1 year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

You are implying a QB in this draft is as good as Rodgers, are you willing to use #7 overall and then wait TWO seasons to find out?

You are using a specific player in Rodgers who turned out very well. There must be hundreds of QB's who didn't play for two years, and DIDN'T turn out like Rodgers. Green Bay had Farve and is why Rodgers COULD sit, whereas the current 49ers doesn't even have an 'Average' NFL QB.

You are also using hindsight, at the time of the draft most teams didn't think Rodgers was a 'franchise' QB. That's the main reason he fell to #24.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are implying a QB in this draft is as good as Rodgers, are you willing to use #7 overall and then wait TWO seasons to find out?

You are using a specific player in Rodgers who turned out very well. There must be hundreds of QB's who didn't play for two years, and DIDN'T turn out like Rodgers. Green Bay had Farve and is why Rodgers COULD sit, whereas the current 49ers doesn't even have an 'Average' NFL QB.

You are also using hindsight, at the time of the draft most teams didn't think Rodgers was a 'franchise' QB. That's the main reason he fell to #24.

I used rogers because rogers was the example giving. As i stated earlier i know farve was there and that is why rogers was allowed to sit but unless you think the niners are going to be in contention in the next two years why not let a qb sit for a couple of years if goff is in fact there.

no not with a Top 7 pick. I cant see a franchise waiting 2 years for a Top 10 pick to play. then wait another 2-3 years to hit is prime years with offense. Top 10 picks are suppose to play right away and with QBs no longer then 1 year.

well, we can wait until next year and then draft a qb in the first round. Wait another year for him to be ready and then wait 2-3 years for that guy to hit his prime with the offense if the coaching staff is still here for him to actually do that. All i am saying if your guy is there take him and don't rush him into the game. This team is not going to contend right away. i don't see adding a wr, pass rusher, or ilb really having a huge impact on this team especially amongst this class.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im a fan of taking the BPA

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i'm ok if the QB sits his rookie season. Yes, lets not ruin a big investment by forcing him into games. There is no perfect way to start off a rookie QB, so granted the definition of 'force' isn't clear.

But if you project he NEEDS to sit 24 months AT THE TIME you draft him, then that doesn't make sense. How can someone who needs TWO years on the bench, be worth #7 overall?
I used rogers because rogers was the example giving. As i stated earlier i know farve was there and that is why rogers was allowed to sit but unless you think the niners are going to be in contention in the next two years why not let a qb sit for a couple of years if goff is in fact there.

well, we can wait until next year and then draft a qb in the first round. Wait another year for him to be ready and then wait 2-3 years for that guy to hit his prime with the offense if the coaching staff is still here for him to actually do that. All i am saying if your guy is there take him and don't rush him into the game. This team is not going to contend right away. i don't see adding a wr, pass rusher, or ilb really having a huge impact on this team especially amongst this class.

Because the QB you're talking about will cost us #7 overall. If at the time of the draft you project or accept he'll sit TWO years, then he isn't worth #7 overall. If you project he'll only sit one year, i could by that.

If you project one year and it turns into two, that is another topic of discussion. that topic will be on your GM's evaluation, not the player.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm ok if the QB sits his rookie season. Yes, lets not ruin a big investment by forcing him into games. There is no perfect way to start off a rookie QB, so granted the definition of 'force' isn't clear.

But if you project he NEEDS to sit 24 months AT THE TIME you draft him, then that doesn't make sense. How can someone who needs TWO years on the bench, be worth #7 overall?

Because the QB you're talking about will cost us #7 overall. If at the time of the draft you project or accept he'll sit TWO years, then he isn't worth #7 overall. If you project he'll only sit one year, i could by that.

If you project one year and it turns into two, that is another topic of discussion. that topic will be on your GM's evaluation, not the player.

I originally stated that Goff would need to sit a year maybe two if Gabbert levels up and plays out of his mind. I highly doubt it but if Gabbert plays at a high level next year why replace him. Gabbert is no drew brees but a little more seasoning never hurt anybody.