• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread:

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw Josh Norman became a free agent, I think it's time for Baalke to get his head out of his @$$ and spend some money on a legit CB.

Who says Norman is a legit CB? He's a 28(29) year old guy who's had one good year - in a contract year- playing cover 3. If SF pays D. Revis+ money, they better get D. Revis type player.

No. I do not want Norman at all.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, but I just don't see Baalke pulling the trigger on this. Not that kind of cash. I'm sure the 49ers because of their cap space will be rumored to be in the hunt but like all other rumors it will go nowhere.

Agree. I don't think Baalke will pay a CB 14 to 15 mill per season. Would rather spend the money improving the DL especially pass rush and the OL.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, but I just don't see Baalke pulling the trigger on this. Not that kind of cash. I'm sure the 49ers because of their cap space will be rumored to be in the hunt but like all other rumors it will go nowhere.

It's also been rumored that Norman wants to play in California.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who says Norman is a legit CB? He's a 28(29) year old guy who's had one good year - in a contract year- playing cover 3. If SF pays D. Revis+ money, they better get D. Revis type player.

Well he was a 5th round pick that has been developing and I personally feel last year was a product of that development. Also teams can control a player until he's been in the league for 6 years so most good players are going to be his age when they hit free agency unless they've done something to get cut like Aldon Smith.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he was a 5th round pick that has been developing and I personally feel last year was a product of that development. Also teams can control a player until he's been in the league for 6 years so most good players are going to be his age when they hit free agency unless they've done something to get cut like Aldon Smith.

That's the problem...how good is he? He did basically nothing until last year when he decided to be some All Pro cornerback. I'm always leery about a guy who just comes from nowhere to do stuff like that, and I have to see him do it again to have any belief that he wasn't some one year fluke. That he did what he did in his contract year leaves me even more suspicious.

Let some other franchise blow tens of millions on what is so far, a one year wonder.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still hard to fathom that after being so conservative during the FO period, Baalke would all of a sudden just open the vault for this guy. Especially given that this team in my opinion has bigger needs to fill.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i just read this too, and now agree.

Not to say they can't negotiate a reasonable (ie lower) contract, but if he intends to be paid like a top NFL CB, pass.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just read this too, and now agree.

Not to say they can't negotiate a reasonable (ie lower) contract, but if he intends to be paid like a top NFL CB, pass.
Im ok with front loading the money. We have the cap space.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Below is one of MANY mocks out there, but most mocks are similar within the top 10. The point i want to make is......we'll get a top prospect at #7 no matter. That's why i'm not in favor of trading down. Ok not in favor of trading down very far, in this mock going down one spot is ok.

In THIS scendario, my OPINION is Stanley over Buckner. We already know how bad our O-line is, plus Staley isn't young anymore. Looking beyond this season, we really need a top young LT.

1) Los Angeles Rams - Jared Goff, QB, California

The Rams choose the upside of Goff over Wentz.

2) Philadelphia Eagles - Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
Philly gets their QB of the future.

3) San Diego Chargers - Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State
Ramsey takes over for the departed Eric Weddle.

4) Dallas Cowboys - Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
Glaring need meets BPA for Dallas.

5) Jacksonville Jaguars - Myles Jack, LB, UCLA
If/when healthy, Jax gets their version of Bobby Wagner.

6) Baltimore Ravens - Laremy Tunsil, OT, Mississippi
Tremendous value who starts immediately at LT.

7) San Francisco 49ers - DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
Perfect bookend to Arik Armstead for the Niners base 3-4.

8) Cleveland Browns - Ronnie Stanley, OL, Notre Dame
Immediate starter at RT, projects as their future LT.

9) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida
Top CB available for a team in desperate need of secondary help.

10) New York Giants - Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State
No surprise here as the Giants shore up their o-line.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Below is one of MANY mocks out there, but most mocks are similar within the top 10. The point i want to make is......we'll get a top prospect at #7 no matter. That's why i'm not in favor of trading down. Ok not in favor of trading down very far, in this mock going down one spot is ok.

In THIS scendario, my OPINION is Stanley over Buckner. We already know how bad our O-line is, plus Staley isn't young anymore. Looking beyond this season, we really need a top young LT.

I'm not going to go nuts if we draft Buckner, though I may curse under my breath if we pass up someone who looks like he'll solidify at least one position on our o-line for a decade. The one person who WOULD make me join the hate-Baalke brigade would be Jack. Picking a guy who (if I understand correctly) STILL has not proven that he's medically cleared with the #7 pick in the draft would make me crazy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not going to go nuts if we draft Buckner, though I may curse under my breath if we pass up someone who looks like he'll solidify at least one position on our o-line for a decade. The one person who WOULD make me join the hate-Baalke brigade would be Jack. Picking a guy who (if I understand correctly) STILL has not proven that he's medically cleared with the #7 pick in the draft would make me crazy.

i saw on TV how Stanley is a solid pass protector, and thats the main factor for an OT. Granted, they did show him having a little problem with Shaq Lawson, ie bull rusher. Otherwise a solid pass protector will allow our offense to function better.

As good as Buckner may be, a solid LT is likely our BPA?

yeah, Jack is a tough one to call cause there is still doubt on his knee? If our team doctors continue to have doubt, the safer thing is pass.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we go Jack I will flip.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I posted about that the other day. If Baalke takes Jack with a high round pick I think there is going to be a fan uprising against Baalke and the FO. I think a lot of fans would feel the way you do. His status among most 49er fans has already dropped pretty far

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You and I agree on something they need to go with the OT which in this case would be Stanley.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the problem...how good is he? He did basically nothing until last year when he decided to be some All Pro cornerback. I'm always leery about a guy who just comes from nowhere to do stuff like that, and I have to see him do it again to have any belief that he wasn't some one year fluke. That he did what he did in his contract year leaves me even more suspicious.

Let some other franchise blow tens of millions on what is so far, a one year wonder.

Well like I said he was a 5th round pick out of a small school and plays with a chip on his shoulder and looked great last year doing it and has been solid previously he would be an improvement over anything on the roster or likely anything they would draft at #7 for a CB. Also if they structure the contract right they could get out of it without having to take a huge cap hit.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You and I agree on something they need to go with the OT which in this case would be Stanley.

Yes, all value being near equal, i'd go Stanley. The other day Our Lads - which provide scouting data to NFL teams - rated Stanley over Tunsil.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well like I said he was a 5th round pick out of a small school and plays with a chip on his shoulder and looked great last year doing it and has been solid previously he would be an improvement over anything on the roster or likely anything they would draft at #7 for a CB. Also if they structure the contract right they could get out of it without having to take a huge cap hit.

something to consider, we already have a few CB's drafted in the 5th round (Acker and Reaser). We have one guy drafted in the 4th (Dontae). They've been 'playing' 2 years now, so why couldn't one of them step up like Norman did?

This is NOT saying one will become an All Pro like Norman, not now anyway. But stepping up into a consistent starter? Is this unreasonable in their 3rd season? i bet Baalke is thinking this REAL hard, cause these are his draft picks.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
something to consider, we already have a few CB's drafted in the 5th round (Acker and Reaser). We have one guy drafted in the 4th (Dontae). They've been 'playing' 2 years now, so why couldn't one of them step up like Norman did?

This is NOT saying one will become an All Pro like Norman, not now anyway. But stepping up into a consistent starter? Is this unreasonable in their 3rd season? i bet Baalke is thinking this REAL hard, cause these are his draft picks.

One of them still can, Acker and Reaser only have a year experience so they still have room to grow. I believe the corners were hurt last year by a lack of pass rush and Mangini's defensive schemes.