• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now Roma understands what a rumor is we can continue with any more rumors. 49ers and Miami are interested in CB from Florida the most. Im not a big fan of this kid. He didn't have a great year. I don't know about him at #7. All I know I hope we don't move up to #1. Don't mortgage the draft for 1 player.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just cant wait for the draft after all these rumors. Will we move up to #1 or will we stay or will we move back. 49ers brass has been reported to all 3 ideas. Man its almost here.

Im ok with staying at #7 or moving back if all 3 guys are not there(Wentz, Goff and Stanley).

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just cant wait for the draft after all these rumors. Will we move up to #1 or will we stay or will we move back. 49ers brass has been reported to all 3 ideas. Man its almost here.

Im ok with staying at #7 or moving back if all 3 guys are not there(Wentz, Goff and Stanley).

Yep, there's a lot more smoke screen this time around...should be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im starting to get intrigued by this Ramsey kid from FSU. Kid is super athletic.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke’s drafting of injured players has hurt 49ers

Yep, been saying this since LAST season. No more injured players within the first four rounds, even if the roster gest stronger.
Saw rumor today if J. Smith falls to the 2nd we might go after him. he is having a private work out for the 49ers. This would be awesome. I would do this in a heart beat. I would even trade up late in the 1st just to take him.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, been saying this since LAST season. No more injured players within the first four rounds, even if the roster gest stronger.

I have to disagree with this article for the most part. Wrong diagnosis. It is that Baalke has misjudged talent period. There are all those drafted players who weren't injured that also haven't panned out.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Putting aside the question of whether Baalke missed on the severity of the injuries in previous draftees or is just a general doofus when it comes to the draft...I agree with Baalke that he shouldn't say whether or not he'll ever again draft an injured player. No point. However, as a matter of strategy I just don't think he can use a pick on a player with a severe injury this year, unless PERHAPS very late in the draft. The Niners just have too many holes to fill and can't whiff on their picks this year. Miss on an early choice, and that's an error that you'll feel for years afterward. And drafting a player coming off a major injury just inflates the risk attached to any pick to, IMHO, an unacceptable degree. In the first 3 to 4 rounds this year, we need to come out of it with at least 3 starters. Taking a chance on a Jaylon Smith MAY succeed spectacularly but it may also be a colossal failure. Again, IMHO, we will be better served if THIS YEAR we stick with the demonstrably healthy guys. When we're back where we belong (next year, I hope!), as one of the elite teams of the NFL, THEN maybe we can again roll the dice on guys with major injuries.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a guy checks out medically I'm not as concerned about an injury this season is going to be a clunker anyway so if you can get a top 5 talent in the 2nd round and he checks out medically it's hard to pass that up. Gore was coming off of two major Knee injuries and he turned out fine and was a first round talent.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a guy checks out medically I'm not as concerned about an injury this season is going to be a clunker anyway so if you can get a top 5 talent in the 2nd round and he checks out medically it's hard to pass that up. Gore was coming off of two major Knee injuries and he turned out fine and was a first round talent.

And how many guys have we whiffed on using that strategy? If you think the Niners should yet again roll the dice on a guy who may be a greatly diminished version of the player he used to be...or that may never play again...ok, fine. As I said, I don't think it would be wise to take that chance.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how many guys have we whiffed on using that strategy? If you think the Niners should yet again roll the dice on a guy who may be a greatly diminished version of the player he used to be...or that may never play again...ok, fine. As I said, I don't think it would be wise to take that chance.

I am not advocating that strategy today by any means because of the immediate need for talent on the roster, but I just don't agree with the premise of this article. Yea, we could say Lattimore for sure was a wasted IR pick. But I think it misses the bigger picture that the FO has almost completely misjudged college talent. We could make a list of drafted players that weren't IR stashes that turned out to be busts or have underperformed to date. I think that is the real issue here.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

This thinking is ok if the players do in fact, pan out to their pre-injury porjections. But we have solid evidence which prove none...zero....nada....zilch....of these cased have worked. Not only did they not work, it isn't even close.

I'm ok doing this Round 5 or later, but no earlier.

Gore was not an IR prospect.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am not advocating that strategy today by any means because of the immediate need for talent on the roster, but I just don't agree with the premise of this article. Yea, we could say Lattimore for sure was a wasted IR pick. But I think it misses the bigger picture that the FO has almost completely misjudged college talent. We could make a list of drafted players that weren't IR stashes that turned out to be busts or have underperformed to date. I think that is the real issue here.

If our GM is going to be wrong, be wrong on healthy players.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thinking is ok if the players do in fact, pan out to their pre-injury porjections. But we have solid evidence which prove none...zero....nada....zilch....of these cased have worked. Not only did they not work, it isn't even close.

I'm ok doing this Round 5 or later, but no earlier.

Gore was not an IR prospect.

True but he had huge injury concerns that caused him to drop to the 3rd round and he turned out ok.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If our GM is going to be wrong, be wrong on healthy players.

If the GM is going to flat out miss on players, what does it matter? If a player sux, then he sux. It doesn't matter if he is IRd or not. That is the issue here with Baalke and/or scouts not being able to properly evaluate players.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but he had huge injury concerns that caused him to drop to the 3rd round and he turned out ok.

Look at Gurley. He was an injured player coming in. So far he is looking pretty good. The whole IR thing is overblown and doesn't address the real issue.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just to clarify, in case you didn't see it, I earlier emphasized that I think our holes THIS YEAR are too great to take a chance on a guy coming back from a serious injury. We can't afford to miss on guys, we HAVE to hit on this year's draft picks and especially the ones early on MUST be starters either immediately or in the very near future. Others may feel differently, but I just can't see drafting someone like a Jaylon Smith, there's just too much risk on his future to make me comfortable with taking him. (If he somehow falls to the 6th, that's a different matter but I assume he'll still get picked somewhere in the first 3 or 4 rounds and so that's what the debate is about.) BUT once we're back in the elite, THEN I'm not flatly opposed to taking guys with injury question marks. Probably wouldn't be my preferred strategy, but never say never...except for THIS year, or until we're back on top.

As for Baalke in general...I'm kind of agnostic on him at this point. I think he certainly deserves criticism on some of his picks and how he judges talent more generally. On the other hand, I'm skeptical of some of the haters on this board and their view that Baalke is just completely incompetent.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the GM is going to flat out miss on players, what does it matter? If a player sux, then he sux. It doesn't matter if he is IRd or not. That is the issue here with Baalke and/or scouts not being able to properly evaluate players.

it matters because you carry that player for at least a year. that is why it is different than just Baalke's ability to evaluate. To me, that is another topic of dicussion, not to be mixed in with 'IR'.

Here is one EXAMPLE of why this isnt good.....say Smelter will become a total bust this off-season. Had they known this last off-season, he'd be cut and another player given more opportunities. But since we don't know how he'll pan out yet, we might pass on a WR in this draft.

Because we don't know on Smelter, we MIGHT be letting Boldin go thinking Smelter is the same type of receiver.

Apply this to Lattimore, Thomas, Looney, and Carradine.

Feel free to list positive reasons for keeping an IR player. Use the players we drafted, because that would be solid evidence, not projections.

Last edited:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify, in case you didn't see it, I earlier emphasized that I think our holes THIS YEAR are too great to take a chance on a guy coming back from a serious injury. We can't afford to miss on guys, we HAVE to hit on this year's draft picks and especially the ones early on MUST be starters either immediately or in the very near future. Others may feel differently, but I just can't see drafting someone like a Jaylon Smith, there's just too much risk on his future to make me comfortable with taking him. (If he somehow falls to the 6th, that's a different matter but I assume he'll still get picked somewhere in the first 3 or 4 rounds and so that's what the debate is about.) BUT once we're back in the elite, THEN I'm not flatly opposed to taking guys with injury question marks. Probably wouldn't be my preferred strategy, but never say never...except for THIS year, or until we're back on top.

As for Baalke in general...I'm kind of agnostic on him at this point. I think he certainly deserves criticism on some of his picks and how he judges talent more generally. On the other hand, I'm skeptical of some of the haters on this board and their view that Baalke is just completely incompetent.

I agree with this. As far as Baalke goes, he has missed on too many draft picks and roster has too many holes. He has to do a better job drafting or this team is going to stay stuck in the mud for awhile.