• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it matters because you carry that player for at least a year. that is why it is different than just Baalke's ability to evaluate. To me, that is another topic of dicussion, not to be mixed in with 'IR'.

Here is one EXAMPLE of why this isnt good.....say Smelter will become a total bust this off-season. Had they known this last off-season, he'd be cut and another player given more opportunities. But since we don't know how he'll pan out yet, we might pass on a WR in this draft.

Because we don't know on Smelter, we MIGHT be letting Boldin go thinking Smelter is the same type of receiver.

Apply this to Lattimore, Thomas, Looney, and Carradine.

Feel free to list positive reasons for keeping an IR player. Use the players we drafted, because that would be solid evidence, not projections.

I doubt these players drafted would have been released sooner because of the IR. What really matters and the big issue is the misjudging of talent. If Baalke picks the right players, this team gets better, if not then it won't. As far as Lattimore, Carradine, etc. From the same draft McDonald and Lemonier have been pretty crappy. They were not IR picks and they are still on the roster so it isn't like the 49ers have gained time there.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I doubt these players drafted would have been released sooner because of the IR. What really matters and the big issue is the misjudging of talent. If Baalke picks the right players, this team gets better, if not then it won't. As far as Lattimore, Carradine, etc. From the same draft McDonald and Lemonier have been pretty crappy. They were not IR picks and they are still on the roster so it isn't like the 49ers have gained time there.

That is why you don't draft IR players.

i just gave an example of why there is no benefit to keeping them one year. Why don't you reply with reason(s) why it is good? Why? Because this is the subject of IR players, and that would be the direct response. This is the reply i'm looking for, that nobody is giving.

Baalke's ability to evaluate is moving off the subject.

Take all the IR players that we drafted and explain why it is a good idea to keep doing it? Explain how it is ok to carry them one year with no production, and that they came back the next season as 'steals'? Isn't that why you'd draft an IR player, because the next season he's a steal?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why you don't draft IR players.

i just gave an example of why there is no benefit to keeping them one year. Why don't you reply with reason(s) why it is good? Why? Because this is the subject of IR players, and that would be the direct response. This is the reply i'm looking for, that nobody is giving.

Baalke's ability to evaluate is moving off the subject.

Take all the IR players that we drafted and explain why it is a good idea to keep doing it? Explain how it is ok to carry them one year with no production, and that they came back the next season as 'steals'? Isn't that why you'd draft an IR player, because the next season he's a steal?

I never said it was a good idea now. It made sense back when he did it. I posted examples of players who were not IR players who are playing poorly who are still on the roster. I go back to the link you posted on this thread and I will repeat my opinion that not only is the article off base, but it masks what is truly wrong moving forward.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this. As far as Baalke goes, he has missed on too many draft picks and roster has too many holes. He has to do a better job drafting or this team is going to stay stuck in the mud for awhile.

The best thing for this team would be for Baalke to be shown the door so another bad draft class could be what the doctor ordered.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some Believe 49ers May Trade for No. 1 Overall Pick

I'm certainly not for trading up to No. 1. I woujld be ok with a trade up, as high as No. 4, but not No. 1.

It is a little misleading when they say the 49ers have the draft ammo to move up. It'll take two 1st's and a 2nd, meaning all our other picks this month, don't factor in.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm certainly not for trading up to No. 1. I woujld be ok with a trade up, as high as No. 4, but not No. 1.

It is a little misleading when they say the 49ers have the draft ammo to move up. It'll take two 1st's and a 2nd, meaning all our other picks this month, don't factor in.

It would probably take more than that. I mean Washington traded up from 6 to 2 giving up 3 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick. So that to me is probably the lowest needed as the 1st overall pick has even greater value.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It would probably take more than that. I mean Washington traded up from 6 to 2 giving up 3 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick. So that to me is probably the lowest needed as the 1st overall pick has even greater value.

yep, maybe more.

speaking of the Washington trade, i'd think that result will make all teams hesitate now? That is just too much draft value to give up.

Fortunately for us, the Rams didn't maximize those extra HIGH picks. At least it hasn't shown up yet.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, maybe more.

speaking of the Washington trade, i'd think that result will make all teams hesitate now? That is just too much draft value to give up.

Fortunately for us, the Rams didn't maximize those extra HIGH picks. At least it hasn't shown up yet.

Oh I agree which is why I think the Titans are stuck with the pick unless they are willing to take below market value in a trade. Houston when they had the #1 overall pick were expecting the exact same value and to me St. Louis/Washington really did ruin the trades in the early picks of the draft with how much they gave up and how much it just blew up on them. So my guess is there is very little movement in the first few picks of the draft unless somebody really really loves these top-2 QB's. To me they haven't proven enough to garner such attention.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh I agree which is why I think the Titans are stuck with the pick unless they are willing to take below market value in a trade. Houston when they had the #1 overall pick were expecting the exact same value and to me St. Louis/Washington really did ruin the trades in the early picks of the draft with how much they gave up and how much it just blew up on them. So my guess is there is very little movement in the first few picks of the draft unless somebody really really loves these top-2 QB's. To me they haven't proven enough to garner such attention.

Yep, unless another Andrew Luck comes along, don't see another of these 'mega' deals? Without a "Luck" in any draft, a team might only move up a few spots.

In the bigger picture, they may need to revise the trade chart, within the top 5?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, unless another Andrew Luck comes along, don't see another of these 'mega' deals? Without a "Luck" in any draft, a team might only move up a few spots.

In the bigger picture, they may need to revise the trade chart, within the top 5?

They definitely need to revise it. They still have it the same from before the new CBA came out. With the new Cap Space capped at a certain price it makes it much easier to handle some of these top prospects. Unfortunately teams still haven't switched how much value they want in the trade to move up. To me I would rather if I were Tennessee say move back to pick 7 with only getting 2 1st round picks and a 2nd. I don't need that 3rd 1st round pick to make that deal. Sets me up nicely to add lots of depth at a very nice price and I haven't missed out on the premium players dropping back a few spots.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see Baalke doing that. He loves stockpiling picks too much and he doesn't like giving them up to that extent. He stuck to his plan not to spend in Free Agency and I don't see him doing this either. I would very surprised if he did this

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They definitely need to revise it. They still have it the same from before the new CBA came out. With the new Cap Space capped at a certain price it makes it much easier to handle some of these top prospects. Unfortunately teams still haven't switched how much value they want in the trade to move up. To me I would rather if I were Tennessee say move back to pick 7 with only getting 2 1st round picks and a 2nd. I don't need that 3rd 1st round pick to make that deal. Sets me up nicely to add lots of depth at a very nice price and I haven't missed out on the premium players dropping back a few spots.

Yeah, even two 1st plus a 2nd isn't so bad? Maybe ask for a 5th thrown in by the 49ers? At #7 Tenn will still get a good player, maybe Stanley who isn't a big drop off from Tunsil.

Especially since the 49ers aren't expected to do well this season. So next year's 1st rounder would still likely be a top 10?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't see Baalke doing that. He loves stockpiling picks too much and he doesn't like giving them up to that extent. He stuck to his plan not to spend in Free Agency and I don't see him doing this either. I would very surprised if he did this

Agree Baalke doesn't like trading up, but instead increase the number of picks. That said, he has done it before and has done it in Round 1.

In our specific situation and for a QB, there is a 1% possibility he does trade up. IF they all feel Goff or Wentz is in fact a franchise QB....in Kelly's offense, small possibility?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
San Francisco 49ers

Where they pick: No. 7 overall
What they might give up: Nos. 7, 37 (second round) and 142 (fifth round) overall for Titans' Nos. 1 and 177 (sixth round) overall
Who the 49ers might be targeting: Goff

The 49ers soon could make a decision on Colin Kaepernick, and despite all the posturing that has gone on it has come far enough that he'll be traded to the Denver Broncos, netting them — let's guess — a future conditional draft pick. That would leave the 49ers with Blaine Gabbert, Thad Lewis and Dylan Thompson at QB, so ... yeah. They need one. Goff is a better fit in a Chip Kelly system, with quick, accurate throws being one of the Cal QB's hallmarks.

The 49ers are loaded with picks. They have 12 overall, although three of them (a fifth-rounder, and two sixths) are compensatory choices that can't be dealt this year. Still, that's ample ammo for a move up. The cost of a second-round pick here, plus sliding down 35 spots on Day 3 essentially, might feel high. But based on the reports of what Kelly offered the Titans a year ago for Marcus Mariota, this would be nickels on the dollar comparatively. Right now, nine of those 12 picks are on Day 3, and even with as many holes as there are on the roster we assume the Niners glady would part with one or more to get their QB.

just came across this article where he's using a more 'modern' trade chart. I would make this deal if they REALLY think a QB is our 'franchise' guy.

Even if that QB needs a LITTLE "seasoning", i'd still do it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Working off Robert Klemko's list of teams that could be interested (and adding one of our own), let's take a look at possible deal makers, what it might cost them and who they might be targeting. Many of you still are married to the Jimmy Johnson chart for draft-pick value, but we are bigger fans of the Chase Stuart value calculator, which more accurately reflects modern value.

From the same article, the name of the modern chart.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasn't Baalke traded up a couple of times in the 1st round. 1 that comes to mind is Reid. So its not out of no where if he does.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hasn't Baalke traded up a couple of times in the 1st round. 1 that comes to mind is Reid. So its not out of no where if he does.

Believe he also traded up for Anthony Davis, and down for Arik Armstead. So he has traded within Round 1.

For this draft, think it is a SMALL chance he does it.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe he also traded up for Anthony Davis, and down for Arik Armstead. So he has traded within Round 1.

For this draft, think it is a SMALL chance he does it.
I think they have a good chance to move down if one of their top 3 guys aren't there.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys Im doing the 49ers Mock draft on this board. Little up date: See if you guys approve.

I traded down: Both QBs and Ramsey, Tunsil, Jack and Bosa were gone.

I decided to trade down to 12th were the saints were. Received their 2nd rd pick. I gave the my 1st 4th and 6th.

At 12 I picked Dobbs from Clemson. Best pass Rusher.

Then I traded back in the 1st rd to Denver. I traded 49ers 2nd Rd pick and 5th and a 6th for Denvers 1st and early 7th rd pick.

I jumped back in because Im working on the idea that Kap wont be here. paxton Lynch was still on the board. QB from Memphis.

Next pick is saints 2nd RD pick I received.

Overall:
1st rd 12th pick: DE Dobbs From Clemson
1st RD 31st pick: QB Paxton Lynch from Memphis
2nd RD 16th(saints pick): ?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree Baalke doesn't like trading up, but instead increase the number of picks. That said, he has done it before and has done it in Round 1.

In our specific situation and for a QB, there is a 1% possibility he does trade up. IF they all feel Goff or Wentz is in fact a franchise QB....in Kelly's offense, small possibility?

Yea he has done it before but how many places was it? I don't remember but while he might be willing to jump up a couple I don't see him wanting to jump up to number one which would have a much bigger price tag. Especially in this draft. I don't see them so enamored with this years QB class to make that kind of move.