• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread:

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you missed my point, free agency is still going on, but you want something yesterday. Apparently you want the 49ers to sign somebody, anybody, just to show you they're doing something??!!

Don't worry, we will sign a free agent sooner or later.

I'm not sure wasting all your cap space on the scrap heap is the right move either.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke is intent on his old strategy of accumulating draft picks and building that way. The problem is he can't keep swinging and missing on his picks. These comp picks aren't any good if he can't draft players that will make an impact.

Well letting good players walk so you can get a comp pick is a terrible way to build draft picks unless you can't afford the player that isn't the issue this year. Boone was going to leave no matter what so it is what it is. I would have liked to see them address the one or two of the teams issues via free agency with players that are actually better than what's on the roster instead players of equal caliber, they haven't done that. I agree that you need to build your roster through the draft but the 49ers can't because Baalke is a terrible GM that has flopped to much in the past 4 years for the team to withstand top players leaving to free agency or retirement.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well letting good players walk so you can get a comp pick is a terrible way to build draft picks unless you can't afford the player that isn't the issue this year. Boone was going to leave no matter what so it is what it is. I would have liked to see them address the one or two of the teams issues via free agency with players that are actually better than what's on the roster instead players of equal caliber, they haven't done that. I agree that you need to build your roster through the draft but the 49ers can't because Baalke is a terrible GM that has flopped to much in the past 4 years for the team to withstand top players leaving to free agency or retirement.

I agree.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% I agree.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

if you believe in building thru the draft, then lets not spend big money on free agents. Having cap space doesn't mean you build thru free agency either.

Baalke not being able to draft well is a different matter. If this is the case, then you get rid of Baalke. ie The solution to poor drafting isn't building thru free agency, but getting rid of the problem.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you believe in building thru the draft, then lets not spend big money on free agents. Having cap space doesn't mean you build thru free agency either.

Baalke not being able to draft well is a different matter. If this is the case, then you get rid of Baalke. ie The solution to poor drafting isn't building thru free agency, but getting rid of the problem.

It's really like talking to a wall with you. No one has said spend big money in Free Agency if filling one or two of the 10-12 needs on this team is building through Free Agency then you and I have very different opinions on that. Baalke should be fired or should have been fired this offseason along with Tomsula as he built the roster for the guy to coach. Once again signing two impact Free Agents isn't building through Free Agency and the fact that you think that is mind boggling really.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless some of you actually know for a fact whom the 49ers pursued, and the actual money they were offering, then a lot of this discussion is moot. It's easy to say 'we did nothing in FA' because they didn't actually sign anybody, but that doesn't mean they never tried. It could be for a few reasons.

1) The Niners made a play, but the player took the highest bid, period...and a lot of these contracts are nonsense...especially for the talent involved. I am fully on side with Baalke in this regard.

2) Players have no interest in playing for the Niners under the current brass. That is fully on the organization.

3) The player decided in the end, given all the factors that could be involved such as money, the scheme, the city, the organization, etc. etc...he took the best overall fit. That's on everybody.

Everything isn't simply black and white.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's really like talking to a wall with you. No one has said spend big money in Free Agency if filling one or two of the 10-12 needs on this team is building through Free Agency then you and I have very different opinions on that. Baalke should be fired or should have been fired this offseason along with Tomsula as he built the roster for the guy to coach. Once again signing two impact Free Agents isn't building through Free Agency and the fact that you think that is mind boggling really.

those free agents are coming, it started with Beadles.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unless some of you actually know for a fact whom the 49ers pursued, and the actual money they were offering, then a lot of this discussion is moot. It's easy to say 'we did nothing in FA' because they didn't actually sign anybody, but that doesn't mean they never tried. It could be for a few reasons.

1) The Niners made a play, but the player took the highest bid, period...and a lot of these contracts are nonsense...especially for the talent involved. I am fully on side with Baalke in this regard.

2) Players have no interest in playing for the Niners under the current brass. That is fully on the organization.

3) The player decided in the end, given all the factors that could be involved such as money, the scheme, the city, the organization, etc. etc...he took the best overall fit. That's on everybody.

Everything isn't simply black and white.

true

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

No, i already said i would've been ok with one of these FA's.

But NOW that we didn't, i'm saying its ok. i am not saying don't ever sign these guys either, do sign them when you have a good enough team. But the first wave is over with, stop complaining we didn't sign those guys. We WILL add free agents, there are more out there.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
those free agents are coming, it started with Beadles.

Yes scrapping the bottom of the barrel is always the answer to improving the team!!!!!!!!

Why even bother signing the garbage that left as this point?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes scrapping the bottom of the barrel is always the answer to improving the team!!!!!!!!

Why even bother signing the garbage that left as this point?
100% agree, I rather just let the young guys battle it out and the in coming Draft class.

Word is 49ers are doing their home work on this draft. They have about 4 guys they would take at #7. Goff, Lawson, Treadwell or Stanley. Im hearing 49ers might actually trade back to try and get another 2nd rd pick. If this is the case Goff will be off the board same as Stanley so 49ers might go D with Lawson or one of the CB.

Goff is getting a lot of positive news right now and some people are saying he is just as good as Luck. I don't believe. His small hands bother me. Kind of reminds me of Alex Smith.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff's hands are the same size as Kaepernick's - 9 1/8" - and it's basically irrelevant...unless you're looking for any reason to discredit him.

He is flat out the only guy I want in this draft. I'm pinning my hopes on an unknown player, but it's a position of dire need, and a position that instantly moves the needle. It's the only position that will make me somewhat interested next year.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff's hands are the same size as Kaepernick's - 9 1/8" - and it's basically irrelevant...unless you're looking for any reason to discredit him.

He is flat out the only guy I want in this draft. I'm pinning my hopes on an unknown player, but it's a position of dire need, and a position that instantly moves the needle. It's the only position that will make me somewhat interested next year.

I live in San Francisco and i went to the cal pro day and he looks like the guy. He looked good under center and was hit his wr's in stride his deep ball looked good and his foot work looked amazing. He is a little skinny though but let him sit a year and bulk up and he will be fine.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in San Francisco and i went to the cal pro day and he looks like the guy. He looked good under center and was hit his wr's in stride his deep ball looked good and his foot work looked amazing. He is a little skinny though but let him sit a year and bulk up and he will be fine.

Yeah....I don't put much into those workouts (JaMarcus Russell apparently had an all time great one) but I hear yah. At this point, I just have a hard time justifying any pick other than QB. Goff or F off.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....I don't put much into those workouts (JaMarcus Russell apparently had an all time great one) but I hear yah. At this point, I just have a hard time justifying any pick other than QB. Goff or F off.

Yea, apparanently everyone outside of teddy bridgewater has good pro days but he looked good nonetheless. Yea goff or trade down

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would go Goff or Stanley and if neither are there trade down to 12-15th pick and get an extra 2nd.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not sure wasting all your cap space on the scrap heap is the right move either.

We lost Boone so Beadles will start, adding a starter isn't signing scrap heap. What did you expect we'd sign, last years All Pro OG?

The real issue is poor drafting from recent years, so now we don't have enough talent to form a base. Because we don't have enough talent, we have to wait and hope these next draft classes do well. So 2-3 years from now, we can go after the top FA's.

Most like you are impatient and want instant results. So today you want the top FA's to build back this team. Be reminded this year was a weak FA class. You SAY you want to build thru the draft, but keep posting we should sign the best FA's.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Whitehair is competing with Stanford guard Joshua Garnett and Alabama center Ryan Kelly to be the first interior lineman off the board next month. The 49ers signed Zane Beadles to a three-year contract, likely slotting him in as their left guard. That would leave the right guard and right tackle positions open for competition. Andrew Tiller and Erik Pears would seem to be favorites at the guard position, but there is a lot to be figured out, including the potential return of Anthony Davis.

Here's what McShay had to say about the Whitehair pick.

Whitehair was a four-year starter, and his exceptional awareness is immediately apparent on tape. He needs to continue to improve his lower-body strength.

If one of these linemen were the best talent left for our Round 2 pick, more than ok drafting one.