• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread:

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, what did they give up to reach 8th, what do they have left to trade? Didn't they just re-up Bradford, at a costly price? not saying no one will trade ahead, but am saying the odds are very low.

Then, none of these prospects are close to the "Luck" level, so just can't see it.

they traded alonso and maxwell to the dolphins to switch their first round picks. i do agree with you that the eagles don't have the pieces to move up again unless they trade away their until draft.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they traded alonso and maxwell to the dolphins to switch their first round picks. i do agree with you that the eagles don't have the pieces to move up again unless they trade away their until draft.

What were you trying to say? lol.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no clue what the 49ers are going to do. They had a terrible FA period and now this Kap trade is just bad. Im thinking all this is leading them in a direction to draft a QB. Stanley is still an option if there because well we didnt improve our biggest weakness in the FA market. We are actually weaker.

Overall I dont think the front office has a plan and Baalke might be done as a GM. He looks lost. It all started with hiring of C. Kelly. Not a lot of players want to play for him. Overall i think Chip can be a good HC but I dont know if this is the move the 49ers should of made after everything that happen with Harbaugh and then Tomsula.

I have to admit we do look like a circus the last 2 years now.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have no clue what the 49ers are going to do. They had a terrible FA period and now this Kap trade is just bad. Im thinking all this is leading them in a direction to draft a QB. Stanley is still an option if there because well we didnt improve our biggest weakness in the FA market. We are actually weaker.

Overall I dont think the front office has a plan and Baalke might be done as a GM. He looks lost. It all started with hiring of C. Kelly. Not a lot of players want to play for him. Overall i think Chip can be a good HC but I dont know if this is the move the 49ers should of made after everything that happen with Harbaugh and then Tomsula.

I have to admit we do look like a circus the last 2 years now.

i disagree with "terrible free agent period", there are more teams that didn't sign a big name, than those who did. The 49ers kept some of their own and avoided REALLY overpaying free agents, that isn't terrible. Don't burn our good cap just to burn it, that is short sighted, and NOT good management.

also disagree with "this Kap trade is just bad", Baalke's job is get the most he can in return. In all trade negotiations, there's some "chicken" involved, thats what we're seeing. He could've easily traded Kaep for a 6th, but then you'd complain he could've gotten a 4th. Don't think this will go past April 1st, but even if it does, Baalke will get a 5th. Before the offer of a 3rd or 4th pick came out, i was thinking a 5th would be ok?

As far as being a circus, SOME things are not controlled by the FO. If Harbaugh is difficult, rubs people the wrong way, and wants out himself, you can't force him to stay. If Willis, Borland, J. Smith, and AD wants to retire, you can't force them to play.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i disagree with "terrible free agent period", there are more teams that didn't sign a big name, than those who did. The 49ers kept some of their own and avoided REALLY overpaying free agents, that isn't terrible. Don't burn our good cap just to burn it, that is short sighted, and NOT good management.

also disagree with "this Kap trade is just bad", Baalke's job is get the most he can in return. In all trade negotiations, there's some "chicken" involved, thats what we're seeing. He could've easily traded Kaep for a 6th, but then you'd complain he could've gotten a 4th. Don't think this will go past April 1st, but even if it does, Baalke will get a 5th. Before the offer of a 3rd or 4th pick came out, i was thinking a 5th would be ok?

As far as being a circus, SOME things are not controlled by the FO. If Harbaugh is difficult, rubs people the wrong way, and wants out himself, you can't force him to stay. If Willis, Borland, J. Smith, and AD wants to retire, you can't force them to play.
I disagree with a lot of what you are saying. Im sorry. FO has been a joke the last couple of years. You can ask anyone that pays attention to the NFL.
-Yes we had a terrible FA period. Thats a fact. When you are as bad as we were and you have all that money you need to up grade at least a little. Im not sayign spend it all but spend a little to improve. How dont we sign a Guard? How Dont we sign a pass rusher(2nd weakness). What about a #1 CB like Smith. We been looking forever for a #1 CB. Show me something. Im not saying do what the raiders, Jags, Houston or Giants did. Just show me you want to improve this team. its not like we were a playoff team and we dont need help.
- Yes we re signed our own players. Im ok with that. Problem is they also re signed some bad players that we dont need(Wilhoite and Devey)
- waiting to trade is ok but this is a joke. It looks bad. U just said you are ok with a 5th well we have a 4th on the table. Take the trade and move on. it will be better then keeping a player that doesnt want to be here or has been in the news about being traded. Move on. make the trade and start planning a head.
-Harbaugh thing was mostly on the FO. We all know this after everything that came out.
-Players retiring because of the FO. I think they saw the writing on the wall and said screw this. They got rid of a winning coach and hired a Guy that has no right to be an head coach. Then after the players retired 49ers didnt have a plan. We saw what they did last year in FA. Pears at RT LOL, Wilhoite as the starter LOL, drafted Armstead (im ok with this), Borland(I dont blame FO).
- Oh just to throw this out there they let one of their own leave(Crabtree) who then has a career year. Now I wasnt a big Crabtree fan but he was still a good player.

Im happy they at least got rid of VD. He looks done. Only problem we have no one really behind him. We got avg TEs and a project. Lets hope Bell takes that next step.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I disagree with a lot of what you are saying. Im sorry. FO has been a joke the last couple of years. You can ask anyone that pays attention to the NFL.
-Yes we had a terrible FA period. Thats a fact. When you are as bad as we were and you have all that money you need to up grade at least a little. Im not sayign spend it all but spend a little to improve. How dont we sign a Guard? How Dont we sign a pass rusher(2nd weakness). What about a #1 CB like Smith. We been looking forever for a #1 CB. Show me something. Im not saying do what the raiders, Jags, Houston or Giants did. Just show me you want to improve this team. its not like we were a playoff team and we dont need help.
- Yes we re signed our own players. Im ok with that. Problem is they also re signed some bad players that we dont need(Wilhoite and Devey)
- waiting to trade is ok but this is a joke. It looks bad. U just said you are ok with a 5th well we have a 4th on the table. Take the trade and move on. it will be better then keeping a player that doesnt want to be here or has been in the news about being traded. Move on. make the trade and start planning a head.
-Harbaugh thing was mostly on the FO. We all know this after everything that came out.
-Players retiring because of the FO. I think they saw the writing on the wall and said screw this. They got rid of a winning coach and hired a Guy that has no right to be an head coach. Then after the players retired 49ers didnt have a plan. We saw what they did last year in FA. Pears at RT LOL, Wilhoite as the starter LOL, drafted Armstead (im ok with this), Borland(I dont blame FO).
- Oh just to throw this out there they let one of their own leave(Crabtree) who then has a career year. Now I wasnt a big Crabtree fan but he was still a good player.

Im happy they at least got rid of VD. He looks done. Only problem we have no one really behind him. We got avg TEs and a project. Lets hope Bell takes that next step.

Did the period to sign free agents close?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the period to sign free agents close?
No im taking about at this point.

Cardinals just made a nice trade.

also Steelers just signed OT Harris.

Good moves for both teams.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No im taking about at this point.

Cardinals just made a nice trade.

also Steelers just signed OT Harris.

Good moves for both teams.

you missed my point, free agency is still going on, but you want something yesterday. Apparently you want the 49ers to sign somebody, anybody, just to show you they're doing something??!!

Don't worry, we will sign a free agent sooner or later.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Baalke is intent on his old strategy of accumulating draft picks and building that way. The problem is he can't keep swinging and missing on his picks. These comp picks aren't any good if he can't draft players that will make an impact.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baalke is intent on his old strategy of accumulating draft picks and building that way. The problem is he can't keep swinging and missing on his picks. These comp picks aren't any good if he can't draft players that will make an impact.

No doubt, having a ton of picks doesn't guarantee anything. Neither does having HIGH picks for that matter, you still have to make the right choices.

Baalke may get one more year, but if he continues to draft badly, he will be gone. That is he'll give up his "IR" strategy, for the higher rounds that is. He needs results now and can't afford even one high pick to sit a year. Not to mention this IR strategy is proven now, and it produced almost nothing but wasted picks.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Baalke is in a no-win scenario with a lot of fans. If he goes Jacksonville Jaguar crazy in FA, when the crop of FA's this year was pretty underwhelming, and you'd have 'Niners spending insane money/Baalke is desperate to hold onto his job so the mentality is to improve immediately' complaints left and right. We know from previous plans that Baalke plans for the future.

Jacksonville MUST go this route - that's the only way they're building something - and we still don't know if it'll pan out. Nobody knows what contracts were offered to any of these guys by SF, but if they were simply outspent by stupidity, then I'm all for standing still.

As for Kaepernick....as I said...I don't care if we outright cut him at this point. The market for him really shows how the league looks at him, and it's not favourable. Anything in return, and it's a bonus.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke is in a no-win scenario with a lot of fans. If he goes Jacksonville Jaguar crazy in FA, when the crop of FA's this year was pretty underwhelming, and you'd have 'Niners spending insane money/Baalke is desperate to hold onto his job so the mentality is to improve immediately' complaints left and right. We know from previous plans that Baalke plans for the future.

Jacksonville MUST go this route - that's the only way they're building something - and we still don't know if it'll pan out. Nobody knows what contracts were offered to any of these guys by SF, but if they were simply outspent by stupidity, then I'm all for standing still.

As for Kaepernick....as I said...I don't care if we outright cut him at this point. The market for him really shows how the league looks at him, and it's not favourable. Anything in return, and it's a bonus.

Not sure Baalke would have to go crazy in FA but fans see all that cap space being unused. If he uses the 1st pick on Goff I think that would at least quiet some criticism

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

you bring up a good point, if Baalke had in fact gone a little FA crazy, wouldn't surprise us. He isn't secure as GM and he knows he has to win soon. Also, yeah maybe free agency was a little weak this year, especially at QB?

i would think we can get something for Kaep, even after April 1st? Won't be a high pick of course, but something beats an outright release.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Thats been a big issue.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you bring up a good point, if Baalke had in fact gone a little FA crazy, wouldn't surprise us. He isn't secure as GM and he knows he has to win soon. Also, yeah maybe free agency was a little weak this year, especially at QB?

If Baalke would've signed FA after FA, which would've been out of his norm, then you could assume he was or felt pressured to win right now. Given that he did what he's basically always has....he seems to be staying his course. He wants to build through the draft, and I agree...but he certainly can't afford his traditional redshirt guy.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure Baalke would have to go crazy in FA but fans see all that cap space being unused. If he uses the 1st pick on Goff I think that would at least quiet some criticism

At least those who want Goff....but most still want Baalke gone. I can respect him holding firm on his belief instead of blowing millions hoping for a quick fix. He now really has to make something happen in this draft, or recent picks must make an impact this year or this may be his last go at it for SF.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least those who want Goff....but most still want Baalke gone. I can respect him holding firm on his belief instead of blowing millions hoping for a quick fix. He now really has to make something happen in this draft, or recent picks must make an impact this year or this may be his last go at it for SF.

Yep, Ultimately this team needs to perform on the field on Sunday, If this team looks like crap on the field and the losses pile up, there is going to be a lot of pressure on York to make more changes and I don't think Kelly is going to take the fall. I think Baalke is next in line. I could see Baalke canned and Tom Gamble promoted to GM.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
San Francisco 49ers: Officially the worst-drafting team in the NFL since 2011

not surprising to any of us.

i know none of the current regulars remember this, but i used to criticize our drafting considering the extra picks we had. i used something like "not up to par" to describe it. Cause not only did we have extra picks, but some were 3rd and 4th rounders. Granted, my complaint did include classes before 2011, and this evaluation does not.

Instead of getting agreements, i was getting backlash for thinking we weren't up to par?! Mainly from Crimson who doesn't post any more, but others jumped in too. Well, this analysis might not be totally right, but it shows we wasted extra draft picks.