• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

IMO Wentz is too big a gamble, and Bosa just doesn't seem to fit a 3-4? Bosa doesn't seem to be a THREE down OLB, nor a 3-4 DE? Would seem like a waste for Bosa to defense run first? Granted, guess our scheme MIGHT play that 'hybrid' we read about two years ago?

Otherwise, all the others on this list seem like solid choices. I'm guessing we'll go LT because the good ones are tough to find unless you're drafting high. From this year on, i'd expect our slot will go lower and lower?

BTW - Today on radio, Russ Lande said the Buckner type DE is harder to find than an OT like Tunsil?! Not sure about that but IF so, no wonder Baalke took Armstead last season. Not a 'splash' pick, but a knowledgeble one. Granted, Lande called Buckner a 5 technique, whereas Baalke called Armstead a 4?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Wentz is too big a gamble, and Bosa just doesn't seem to fit a 3-4? Bosa doesn't seem to be a THREE down OLB, nor a 3-4 DE? Would seem like a waste for Bosa to defense run first? Granted, guess our scheme MIGHT play that 'hybrid' we read about two years ago?

Otherwise, all the others on this list seem like solid choices. I'm guessing we'll go LT because the good ones are tough to find unless you're drafting high. From this year on, i'd expect our slot will go lower and lower?

BTW - Today on radio, Russ Lande said the Buckner type DE is harder to find than an OT like Tunsil?! Not sure about that but IF so, no wonder Baalke took Armstead last season. Not a 'splash' pick, but a knowledgeble one. Granted, Lande called Buckner a 5 technique, whereas Baalke called Armstead a 4?

LOL, I don't know some of these guys Deep. I don't want to draft the WR and yea I don't think I would select Wentz in the 1st round.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL, I don't know some of these guys Deep. I don't want to draft the WR and yea I don't think I would select Wentz in the 1st round.[/QUOTE

Well neither do i, just going by what i read. So going by what i've read to date, i'm fine with Tunsil, Ramsey, Jack, Lawson, and Buckner too. Seems like Lawson MIGHT fit as the larger OLB, like Brooks?

But who knows, back in 2011 no one mentioned Aldon Smith?! :scratch:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You've at least read about them. I haven't even done that yet, lol. Except for the QBs. I've done quite a bit of reading on them.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speaking of Brooks. I really hope he is gone next season. I just don't see a point of having him on the team next year given his age, lack of production, personal issues, and where the team is at this point.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Speaking of Brooks. I really hope he is gone next season. I just don't see a point of having him on the team next year given his age, lack of production, personal issues, and where the team is at this point.

agree, and you covered all the reasons.

for the previous 4 or 5 seasons, think i was higher on Brooks than most here? but no doubt it is a different story now.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree, and you covered all the reasons.

for the previous 4 or 5 seasons, think i was higher on Brooks than most here? but no doubt it is a different story now.

Brooks was a good player for awhile but he has dropped off especially last season. Given his age and the team rebuilding the team needs to move on.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brandt: Jerry Jones says Cowboys won't draft QB with pick No. 4

Interesting stuff, so this increases the chance of Goff reaching #7. No guarantee Goff is our guy, but at least the option might be there.

I wouldn't try to trade up BECAUSE we fear someone will trade up ahead of us. It would take too much to move to #6 or higher. It appears the next QB needy team after us is the Rams at #15? After the RGIII trade, i'd think they know better.

We'll get a top prospect in any case.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandt: Jerry Jones says Cowboys won't draft QB with pick No. 4

Interesting stuff, so this increases the chance of Goff reaching #7. No guarantee Goff is our guy, but at least the option might be there.

I wouldn't try to trade up BECAUSE we fear someone will trade up ahead of us. It would take too much to move to #6 or higher. It appears the next QB needy team after us is the Rams at #15? After the RGIII trade, i'd think they know better.

We'll get a top prospect in any case.

Whenever someone says what they will or will not do in the draft, I routinely dismiss it as smoke...lying...dissembling. I suppose the alternative COULD be true, that the speaker is telling the truth and is therefore a fool. But I'm impossibly biased in favor of Bill Walsh's approach, where he would routinely lie his ass off to make it impossible for other teams to know what he was thinking.

In the Niners' case, when I hear rumors that Baalke likes Connor Cook, I assume the rumors at some point started from him. And I surely do hope that my belief that such rumors/statements are attempts to deceive is true, because I would hate to believe that our GM is doubly foolish...honest to others about who he likes AND in this actually likes a bad QB prospect like Cook. I mean, IF we draft a QB early, even though I don't think we should, let's at LEAST draft a good QB prospect like Goff or Wentz and not someone like Cook.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whenever someone says what they will or will not do in the draft, I routinely dismiss it as smoke...lying...dissembling. I suppose the alternative COULD be true, that the speaker is telling the truth and is therefore a fool. But I'm impossibly biased in favor of Bill Walsh's approach, where he would routinely lie his ass off to make it impossible for other teams to know what he was thinking.

In the Niners' case, when I hear rumors that Baalke likes Connor Cook, I assume the rumors at some point started from him. And I surely do hope that my belief that such rumors/statements are attempts to deceive is true, because I would hate to believe that our GM is doubly foolish...honest to others about who he likes AND in this actually likes a bad QB prospect like Cook. I mean, IF we draft a QB early, even though I don't think we should, let's at LEAST draft a good QB prospect like Goff or Wentz and not someone like Cook.

I think Baalke did a bad job with deception last year because a number of media types had the 49ers taking Armstead. Probably the worst kept secret. I don't want Cook either.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yeah, don't think any of us are pushing for Cook, but it also depends which round?

If we don't draft QB till the 5th round (just arbitrarily using 5th), Cook could present great value. This could apply to other QBs too, not just Cook.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Jones is emphatic that he is not drafting a QB in the 1st round

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
About time to bring in someone who played the opposite or both sides of the ball last year! Maybe the Navy QB in the 4th?

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About time to bring in someone who played the opposite or both sides of the ball last year! Maybe the Navy QB in the 4th?

I actually like the Oregon QB...he kind of killed it in the East West game with players he wasn't familiar with...pretty impressive. Not in the first or maybe even the second...but maybe in the 3rd depending how our top two picks pan out.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like the Oregon QB...he kind of killed it in the East West game with players he wasn't familiar with...pretty impressive. Not in the first or maybe even the second...but maybe in the 3rd depending how our top two picks pan out.

He is injury prone though and if he is going to be running and taking hits he will not last long

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is injury prone though and if he is going to be running and taking hits he will not last long

That's the knock on most smaller QB's coming out of college...most said that about Montana as well (absolutely no talent comparison here), Garcia, Wilson, Plummer. I think it's worth a look seeing as the league has reall begun to protect QB's with contact rules. Ultimately everyone is an injury risk in the NFL.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, I don't know some of these guys Deep. I don't want to draft the WR and yea I don't think I would select Wentz in the 1st round.

I would look at a WR in the 2nd round and an OT in the first round, Something like Ronnie Stanley and Will Fuller

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im shocked to see Brooks and Bethea still on this team.