• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 News & Transactions

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also...

I am also completely ignorant about this Paddock kid, but to compare him to Bickford?

Bickford is a two-time first-round pick who has pitched 71 innings this year.

Paddock was an 8th rounder who has thrown a total of 28 IP this year.

This early in a career, pedigree counts.

Bickford is certainly a better prospect. Paddock would still rank in our top 10. This was Miami's Bickford, which speaks more to their system, but still the price is high.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bickford is certainly a better prospect. Paddock would still rank in our top 10. This was Miami's Bickford, which speaks more to their system, but still the price is high.
Oh, you mean is their #2/#3 prospect...

Gotcha.

So talent-wise / prospect-wise, he would be something more akin to Blackburn a few years back or Mejia from a few years back. We dont have anyone obviously in that bucket right now (super-young mid-round pitcher breaking out)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, you mean is their #2/#3 prospect...

Gotcha.

So talent-wise / prospect-wise, he would be something more akin to Blackburn a few years back or Mejia from a few years back. We dont have anyone obviously in that bucket right now (super-young mid-round pitcher breaking out)

Jonathan Sanchez back about 10 years ago? Yeah we don't have anyone like that now.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade is a puzzler for multiple reasons:
1 - The Marlins already have a nails closer in AJ Ramos
2 - Their set up guys are hardly in need of replacement. David Phelps is doing well and while Kyle Barraclough's WHIP isn't great, he is also striking out close to two batters an inning.
3 - They are in the hunt but trading a top prospect in a thin farm system for a 39 year old reliever seems a bit extreme.

I hope this doesn't mean a trade of Arroyo plus either Beede or Bickford would be required to get a good relief pitcher. I will trust the FO not to pull the trigger on such a ludicrous deal. I don't think any of our top three should be traded for relief. They can get a decent reliever for less - it just means a more unknown name.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade is a puzzler for multiple reasons:
1 - The Marlins already have a nails closer in AJ Ramos
2 - Their set up guys are hardly in need of replacement. David Phelps is doing well and while Kyle Barraclough's WHIP isn't great, he is also striking out close to two batters an inning.
3 - They are in the hunt but trading a top prospect in a thin farm system for a 39 year old reliever seems a bit extreme.

I hope this doesn't mean a trade of Arroyo plus either Beede or Bickford would be required to get a good relief pitcher. I will trust the FO not to pull the trigger on such a ludicrous deal. I don't think any of our top three should be traded for relief. They can get a decent reliever for less - it just means a more unknown name.
Who really knew who JLo was before the 2010 trade? And we gave up nothing for him (Bowker and Martinez).

Of course, bully-arms have become more valuable in the last 7 years, so I doubt we would be able to pull off that trade again today.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who really knew who JLo was before the 2010 trade? And we gave up nothing for him (Bowker and Martinez).

Of course, bully-arms have become more valuable in the last 7 years, so I doubt we would be able to pull off that trade again today.
I did but that was when I was following baseball more closely. Considering his track record at the time, I was hardly excited about him but that is one trade that has proved me wrong (Yes, MaysFan, I understand that trade is a good case of prospects not panning out). I think that this FO could still sniff out another JLo.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So which of the young guys actually on the big club would you be willing to deal for bullpen help?
They are all doing well keeping us rolling, but we don't need them all and you have to give to get.

Parker, Mac W, Gillaspie, this new kid Green, etc?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So which of the young guys actually on the big club would you be willing to deal for bullpen help?
They are all doing well keeping us rolling, but we don't need them all and you have to give to get.

Parker, Mac W, Gillaspie, this new kid Green, etc?
I think the only ones with any trade value are McParker.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't expect to see that Ryan Vogelsong would pitch again this year but the Pirates just sent him to their AA affiliate to begin a rehab assignment.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't expect to see that Ryan Vogelsong would pitch again this year but the Pirates just sent him to their AA affiliate to begin a rehab assignment.
I thought I heard that he is targeting the series in SF starting on 8/15 as a return. But if he is starting rehab already, I guess I heard wrong.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrianza has started rehab in San Jose.

I see no reason whatsoever to put Ehire on the active roster before Sep 1st. Things may change, but for the moment, the hitting and defense seems good enough from the replacement players. I'd rather see Duffy and/or Tomlinson and/or Panik get the spot(s) on the 25-man {when healthy, of course}.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see no reason whatsoever to put Ehire on the active roster before Sep 1st. Things may change, but for the moment, the hitting and defense seems good enough from the replacement players. I'd rather see Duffy and/or Tomlinson and/or Panik get the spot(s) on the 25-man {when healthy, of course}.
It does seem odd timing because the team just sent Tomlinson down due to a roster crunch of productive middle infielders. Why start the clock on Adrianza, unless a middle infielder (or two) is going to be traded in the next couple of weeks?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does seem odd timing because the team just sent Tomlinson down due to a roster crunch of productive middle infielders. Why start the clock on Adrianza, unless a middle infielder (or two) is going to be traded in the next couple of weeks?
I wonder how much control a player has on his DL stints.

[BS THEORY]
The Giants want EA to stay on the 60 for roster-reasons, even though EA is completely "healthy". EA wants to get back on the field. He does not want to just be "stashed".
[/BS THEORY]

Can EA force a rehab assignment, thus forcing the Giants hand on playing him or waiving him? Maybe he would need a second opinion from a neutral doc?

In this scenario, I could totally understand EA forcing the Giants hand. This is his prime "show it" years for establishing a MLB career. Getting stashed on a 60-Day DL is effectively ruining his career.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what thread to put this in, but I don't want to make a whole new one for it. I just found it interesting.

The National League Leader in defensive runs saved according to SABR metrics is Brandon Crawford with a 12.9 SDI (SABR Defensive Index, read about it here).

Posey is 3rd, and the top overall catcher. Panik is 9th, and the top overall second baseman (despite missing a fair share of time). Duffy is 10th, and the second best third baseman (behind that guy). Belt is much further down the list, but still an above-average defender at 1st.

This is the same metric that ranked Pagan dead last in the NL of all positions last year. This year, in LF, he's average. Span is not. He's the worst among CFers.

One that made me laugh out loud, and may be salty for some fans (not necessarily here, but somewhere), was Adam Duvall. He's the highest ranked LFer and second highest ranked outfielder overall behind Heyward. Looks like the OF transition is treating him well.

Check it out yourself: SABR Defensive Index rankings released through July 10, 2016 | Society for American Baseball Research

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what thread to put this in, but I don't want to make a whole new one for it. I just found it interesting.

The National League Leader in defensive runs saved according to SABR metrics is Brandon Crawford with a 12.9 SDI (SABR Defensive Index, read about it here).

Posey is 3rd, and the top overall catcher. Panik is 9th, and the top overall second baseman (despite missing a fair share of time). Duffy is 10th, and the second best third baseman (behind that guy). Belt is much further down the list, but still an above-average defender at 1st.

This is the same metric that ranked Pagan dead last in the NL of all positions last year. This year, in LF, he's average. Span is not. He's the worst among CFers.

One that made me laugh out loud, and may be salty for some fans (not necessarily here, but somewhere), was Adam Duvall. He's the highest ranked LFer and second highest ranked outfielder overall behind Heyward. Looks like the OF transition is treating him well.

Check it out yourself: SABR Defensive Index rankings released through July 10, 2016 | Society for American Baseball Research
Very interesting. A few "explanations"...

1) The Giants, as an organization, simply do not understand OFers. While I think this is too strong a statement to be true, there is a LOT of evidence to support this claim. Hell, before Duvall, the last Giants-produced all-star OFer was Jack Clark.

2) SSS. I do not pretend to understand defensive metrics. However, everything I have ever read about them in the past have said that they are essentially worthless when used in a SSS.

3) Citizens Ballpark is considered one of the easier OFs to play. Cookie-cutter walls. Small park. Fewer chances for errors.

Personally, I think all 3 of these theories hold at least a little bit of weight.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting that Duvall is doing so well. He just needs to get his strikeout levels down and add some points to his on base and he's a solid big leaguer.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-backs brought up Edwin Escobar to replace Shelby Miller on the roster.

They also sign Jorge Despaigne to a minor league deal. Considering he's from Cuba, I can only guess that he's the younger brother to Odrisamer, which means Jorge will throw a 1 hit shutout against the Giants in his major league debut, whenever that will be.