• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rua has played more games in the OF than at 1B though. The vast majority of his experience is at 2B and 3B and he is blocked there. With Prince's contract and their strong reluctance to consider him a DH it appears 1B is a blocked position as well.

I think that's mostly irrelevant, plenty of IFers make the move to 1B, I believe he's one of them or 3B for that matter

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's mostly irrelevant, plenty of IFers make the move to 1B, I believe he's one of them or 3B for that matter

I think Rua loses value in a move to 1b.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they go by several years of results and I think they will.

Rua will need to get his butt in gear then, he's playing catch up IMO, there's several years of results and there's right now, he's losing the right now

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they go by several years of results and I think they will.

Well there's that, but where each player is right now is also a factor. Reads on balls hit to LF, baserunning skills, AB approaches... lots to consider here.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rua will need to get his butt in gear then, he's playing catch up IMO, there's several years of results and there's right now, he's losing the right now

Biggest think I'd like to see is Rua cut his strikeouts down the rest of ST.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making the move to corner OF shouldn't be that big of a deal either. If his future is at 1B or 3B then his future isn't with the Rangers.

This year is about finding out what we have and we need to find out what we have in the guy with the biggest upside in my opinion. It would be a shame to get to the end of the year without giving the guy who has hit 32 HRs in a season a shot to play everyday to see what he can do with it even if Smolinski hits .275 with 14 HRs. The only position available to do that is in LF. That is the whole reason they have put Ryan in LF to begin with.

I think the idea that LF is not his future is irrelevant in this discussion due to the fact that the Rangers obviously don't see that as a limiting factor or they would have not allowed him to play there.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right now is just ST though. Right now should matter very little in the grand scheme of things unless everything else is equal. The rest of their careers is not equal at all.

By the same token Gallo is not making the club out of ST even though if right now was that important Gallo would make the club out of ST.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making the move to corner OF shouldn't be that big of a deal either. If his future is at 1B or 3B then his future isn't with the Rangers.

This year is about finding out what we have and we need to find out what we have in the guy with the biggest upside in my opinion. It would be a shame to get to the end of the year without giving the guy who has hit 32 HRs in a season a shot to play everyday to see what he can do with it even if Smolinski hits .275 with 14 HRs. The only position available to do that is in LF. That is the whole reason they have put Ryan in LF to begin with.

I think the idea that LF is not his future is irrelevant in this discussion due to the fact that the Rangers obviously don't see that as a limiting factor or they would have not allowed him to play there.

We don't know that his future isn't at 1B or 3B, you're assuming, Beltre's contract is up soon, and has already shown signs of regressing defensively, and Fielder will show himself increasingly unable to play 1B (also assuming, but come on),

Gallo it hasn't decided where's he's playing, its all wait and see

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know that his future isn't at 1B or 3B, you're assuming, Beltre's contract is up soon, and has already shown signs of regressing defensively, and Fielder will show himself increasingly unable to play 1B (also assuming, but come on),

Gallo it hasn't decided where's he's playing, its all wait and see

For the foreseeable future Beltre is at 3B and Fielder is at 1B. I can't see either of those situations changing before Beltre's contract is up unless one of them is traded and that certainly cannot be counted on. 1B and 3B is as blocked as they can be in this organization for the next couple of years. LF is currently wide open.

My whole point is we have one position open and the guy with the best upside should be given a chance to play there to show us what we have got before decisions have to be made in the future regarding this club. Maybe Rua's long term future is at 3B, but we can find out about him offensively at LF this year. He can always move back to 3B in a couple of years.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are sellers in July we might find out what Rua, Smolinski, and Gallo all three can do on an everyday basis.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the foreseeable future Beltre is at 3B and Fielder is at 1B. I can't see wither of those situations changing before Beltre's contract is up unless one of them is traded and that certainly cannot be counted on. 1B and 3B is as blocked as they can be in this organization for the next couple of years. LF is currently wide open.

My whole point is we have one position open and the guy with the best upside should be given a chance to play there to show us what we have got before decisions have to be made in the future regarding this club. Maybe Rua's long term future is at 3B, but we can find out about him offensively at LF this year. He can always move back to 3B in a couple of years.

I haven't said he can't, but if he's flat out outplayed then so be it

I like how this becoming a Rua vs. Smolinski thing but the person I'm really talking is ultimately is Moreland at DH or Fielder at 1B

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, and I trust the coaching staff to make that determination.
I like the coaching staff. I will wait until they have made a few decisions like this one before I will decide if I trust them or not though.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't said he can't, but if he's flat out outplayed then so be it

I like how this becoming a Rua vs. Smolinski thing but the person I'm really talking is ultimately is Moreland at DH or Fielder at 1B

I agree. I am glad it is between the two young guys and not older veterans who don't have a lot left.

I don't see them flip flopping Moreland and Fielder. I think Fielder has to go down hill a good bit physically before they move him. Maybe I am still being influenced by Wash, but I just don't see them doing that to the veteran. That is not the baseball way unfortunately.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Rua needs to be given the opportunity to play LF, everyday, unless Smolinski just blows the doors off. And Bannister has already said a lot more than how a player is performing on the field will go into the decision of who stays up, gets shipped out, and who starts/gets playing time.

But I agree completely with Bennie in that Rua's long term upside should be explored this season, and apparently LF is it. So be it.

Ya know, if this team plays well but it really doesn't look like we're going to be post season players, we may have some really valuable trade chips at the appropriate time.

jta mentioned MM, and I think he's definitely in play for trades if he's healthy. And I know some of ya will hate hearing this, but I think the same may be said for Beltre. And there's always Gallarado.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to chance the subject, but the RoughRiders announced they are having a "Full House" night this season and the internet is very happy about that, it seems.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Rua needs to be given the opportunity to play LF, everyday, unless Smolinski just blows the doors off. And Bannister has already said a lot more than how a player is performing on the field will go into the decision of who stays up, gets shipped out, and who starts/gets playing time.

But I agree completely with Bennie in that Rua's long term upside should be explored this season, and apparently LF is it. So be it.

Ya know, if this team plays well but it really doesn't look like we're going to be post season players, we may have some really valuable trade chips at the appropriate time.

jta mentioned MM, and I think he's definitely in play for trades if he's healthy. And I know some of ya will hate hearing this, but I think the same may be said for Beltre. And there's always Gallarado.

I would add Choo to that list if he rebounds enough to have any trade value. Of course we would have to supplement his salary.