• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
While I am at it ... here's Scott Lucas May 2012 farm honors. Know its old but interesting seeing some of the names and what was going on back then. Below from Scott Lucas daily email on Jun 13, 2012:

Yesterday, Texas announced its minor-league honorees for May: 3B Mike Olt (player), RHP Cody Buckel (pitcher), RHP Randy Henry (reliever) and OF Engel Beltre (defender).

Here are my selections for Texas’s minor-league position players of the second full month of the season covering May 5th through June 4th:

1. 3B Mike Olt (Age 23, AA, .356/.445/.703, 15 XBH, 13% BB rate, 0 SB) – Olt’s ten homers and .703 slugging percentage paced AA. He also struck out in 21% of his plate appearances, well below his typical rate and near the league average. Texas can be patient with him, though Olt himself is hitting (and fielding) as if he wants a promotion immediately.

2. 2B Rougned Odor (Age 18, lo-A, .330/.412/.523, 13 XBH, 9% BB rate, 6 SB) – Odor separated a shoulder sliding into third base on June 3rd and will miss several weeks. Before then, he hit as well as anyone at his level.

3. SS Jurickson Profar (Age 19, AA, .310/.389/.487, 13 XBH, 11% BB rate, 3 SB) – Profar accumulated streaks of 29 games for hitting and 50 for reaching base. What more can be said? Stop reading me and go see him in Frisco.

4. OF Zach Cone (Age 22, lo-A, .330/.407/.630, 17 XBH, 11% BB rate, 3 SB) – Cone couldn’t match Olt’s home runs but did lead the organization in extra-base hits. He’s on pace for 32 doubles and 23 homers. Given his troublesome 2011 (.201/.278/.339) and shaky spring (when I saw him, at least), his performance is very heartening.

5. OF Joey Butler (Age 26, AAA, .297/.434/.545, 11 XBH, 19% BB rate, 2 SB) – In terms of MLB success, the track record for 26-year-old AAA corner outfielders is really terrible. Butler is doing what he can to be an outlier. Last year's outstanding season had a whiff of flukiness, but in 2012 he's hitting just as well and showing improved plate discipline.

6. IF Hanser Alberto (Age 19, lo-A, .361/.432/.474, 7 XBH, 10% BB rate, 8 SB) – The bat-first infielder has erased the memory of his disappointing 2011 campaign (.267/.308/.321), doubling last year’s extra-base hits and walks in roughly the same number of games. Alberto ranks fifth in the league in batting (.345); only one other teenager exceeds .300.

7. IF Drew Robinson (Age 20, lo-A, .265/.408/.470, 9 XBH, 18% BB rate, 4 SB) – Like Alberto, Robinson didn’t hit to expectations last year (despite his youth) aside from plenty of walks. This season, he’s augmented them with improving power. Typically a third baseman, Robinson has started several times at second in Odor’s place.

8. OF Julio Borbon (Age 26, AAA, .391/.404/.609, 11 XBH, 2% BB rate, 7 SB) – Borbon last failed to record a hit on May 11th. Coincidentally (or perhaps not), he hasn’t drawn a walk since May 9th. The hitting is nice, of course, but 102 plate appearances (and counting) without a walk isn't encouraging.

Next, my selections for Texas’s minor league pitchers of the month. “FIP” stand for fielding-independent pitching. It estimates the pitcher’s ERA based on his rates of homers, walks, and strikeouts, and it assumes average-quality defense and an average number and distribution of hits allowed.

Starters

1. Cody Buckel (Age 19, Hi-A, 1.21 ERA, 2.72 FIP, 1.7% HR, 9% BB, 34% SO) – Buckel has led the organization in strikeouts in both of the first two months: 41 to open the season and 40 most recently. I'm not good at guessing promotion dates, but I wouldn’t be surprised he’s bumped to Frisco after this Sunday, which is the halfway point of the minor-league season.

2. Chad Bell (Age 23, AA, 0.75 ERA, 2.94 FIP, 1.2% HR, 6% BB, 22% SO) – Bell made my list as a reliever in May. As expected, Bell isn’t striking out quite as many since he joined the rotation but remains untouchable much of the time. None other than Greg Maddux praised Bell in tonight’s radio broadcast.

3. Justin Grimm (Age 23, AA, 1.72 ERA, 2.80 FIP, 0.7% HR, 5% BB, 18% SO) – Grimm has been ever so slightly less dominant lately, although his ERA hasn't budged. That's not a complaint. He's been everything Texas could have hoped for since being drafted in 2010's 5th round.

4. Kyle Hendricks (Age 22, Hi-A, 2.83 ERA, 2.89 FIP, 2.2% HR, 0% BB, 21% SO) – Hendricks faced 138 batters during the month without issuing a walk (and 161 total when the streak ended) and struck out nearly a batter per inning. He’d rank higher if not for three homers allowed, the most of anyone on my list.

5. Nick Tepesch (Age 23, Hi-A, 3.13 ERA, 2.92 FIP, 0.6% HR, 9% BB, 23% SO) – Tepesch pitched the first 7.2 innings of a no-hitter on May 19th and has allowed a total of three runs in four subsequent starts.

6. Wilmer Font (Age 22, Hi-A, 3.27 ERA, 3.21 FIP, 1.1% HR, 14% BB, 31% SO) – Opposing hitters batted .176 against Font, and I doubt there’s much BABIP-related luck involved. Hitters are better off hoping for walks, which he’s issued in abundance.

Relievers

1. Joe Ortiz (Age 21, AA, 3.65 ERA, 1.53 FIP, 0.0% HR, 6% BB, 29% SO)
2. Fabio Castillo (Age 23, AA, 2.57 ERA, 2.05 FIP, 0.0% HR, 5% BB, 23% SO)
3. Randy Henry (Age 22, Hi-A, 0.00 ERA, 3.04 FIP, 1.7% HR, 5% BB, 23% SO)
4. Ben Henry (Age 23, Hi-A, 2.35 ERA, 2.84 FIP, 0.0% HR, 12% BB, 26% SO)

I won't argue (much) if you rank these guys differently. Ortiz fanned 12 in his first 5.2 innings of the month. Castillo has been erratic as always, but he largely avoided trouble during the season’s second month. Randy Henry didn’t allow an earned run. Ben Henry sometimes couldn’t locate the strike zone but held opponents to a .137 average with no homers.

Team Rankings

Offense:
Round Rock, 5.4 runs per game, 15% better than park-adjusted league average
Frisco, 4.7 per game, 3% better than average
Hickory, 5.2 per game, 1% better than average
Myrtle Beach, 3.6 per game, 18% worse than average

Pitching/Defense:
Myrtle Beach, 3.6 runs per game, 18% better than average
Frisco, 3.9 per game, 15% better than average
Hickory, 5.0 per game, 2% better than average
Round Rock, 5.4 per game, 9% worse than average

--
Scott Lucas
Newberg Report (newbergreport.com)
rangers.scottlucas.com
twitter: @scottrlucas

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin had him dead to rights. I got excited when I saw him wind up.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just 1, from the box score I'm reading. I can live with that, especially since it didn't come against Weaver.
Yes, I only see one strikeout listed as well. That makes 4 strikeout in 24 ABs. Quite a turnaround from last season so far.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I only see one strikeout listed as well. That makes 4 strikeout in 24 ABs. Quite a turnaround from last season so far.

Very much so. However, let's remember a lot of these pitchers have just been trying to get work in so far. Let's see what happens when they start really pitching, and when he starts the season at AA.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very much so. However, let's remember a lot of these pitchers have just been trying to get work in so far. Let's see what happens when they start really pitching, and when he starts the season at AA.
Some of them are trying to get work in at times, but many of them are guys trying to make their team's rotation and are better quality pitchers than he faced last season overall. I do understand that he isn't going to just strikeout 80 times in 480ABs though.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deep in the back of my brain dimly remembered ... didn't Rougned Odor get into some sort of on-field fracas at Hickory? Can't find any reference to it in my Outlook Search of Scott Lucas daily reports.

Reason I was trying to remember is that clearly if there was an issue with 18-19yo Rougned Odor he has put that aside if there ever was an issue ... it certainly didn't affect as a 20yo making his debut for TEX when Profar went down. Odor excelled well beyond the pretenders Donnie Murphy and Josh Wilson.

Odor's nearly two years younger than DeShields. If DeShields has turned the corner and realizes the lifeline that TEX threw him ... that's great. He has a guy two years younger than he is already on the roster who ought to be his role model.

Otherwise ... need to decide by the end of ST and either have him pack for Arlington or Houston.

Brutal Baseball Brawl- 51 Fines and Six Suspensions [VIDEO]
By ljsires July 13, 2011 11:31 AM

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

During a June 11 game, the Spokane Indians and the Vancouver Canadians, two minor league teams in the Northwest League along with the Yakima Bears got into what looked like a very violent fight that led to six suspensions and, not kidding, 51 players being fined.

Indians second baseman Rougned Odor started the fight with a swift punch at Canadians Shortstop Shane Opitz. At that point nearly if not every player on the field lashed out in a battle royal. It got even more heated when players came out of the dugouts to get involved in the rumble.

51 players were fined, for undisclosed amounts. Northwest League president Bob Richmond told the Spokane Spokesman-Review that “Virtually everyone got dinged for something.”

Four Spokane Indians were suspended as well as two players from Vancouver. Spokane relief pitcher Matt West got hit with an immediate six-day suspension. Odor was given a four-game suspension and Jose Menegro and Santo Perez, both pitchers for the Indians received three-game suspensions, Perez’s starting July 19. The Canadians fined were second baseman Jonaton Berti for three days and Shane Opitz.

The Spokane Indians will be playing the Yakima Bears at Spokane on Sunday, August 7 for a three-game series and a five-game home series with the Vancouver Canadians games right after on August 10.

Filed Under: Baseball, fight, spokane indians, vancouver canadians Category: Sports, Videos, Washington News
http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?...l+Brawl-+51+Fines+and+Six+Suspensions+[VIDEO]

Read More: Brutal Baseball Brawl- 51 Fines and Six Suspensions [VIDEO] | Brutal Baseball Brawl- 51 Fines and Six Suspensions [VIDEO]

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's it! Didn't think it was Beltre but I thought it was at Hickory. Thanks.

Odor certainly has gone on for better from that night.

Sure thing, I remembered I had posted on here last year I believe.
Kid has matured a lot and its good for him and the organization because we didnt have much choice. His success has been very much needed and certainly will be needed again this season. Hope to see him continue to grow as a man and ball player.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not often that a walk-off homer incites a brawl, but Beltre's did just that. Beltre, who plays for the Texas Rangers and was traded in a package for reliever Eric Gagne, openly taunted his opponents from Visalia (the Diamondbacks' affiliate) walking off the field as he rounded the bases. Players from Visalia were none too happy, and started going after Beltre. That's when the team-wide scrum ensued. Once the brawl quieted down, Beltre stomped down on home plate and shouted a few more choice words, causing umpires and coaches from both sides to rush to avoid yet another brawl. Something tells us the Rangers will be giving Beltre a little heart-to-heart soon. Click on the video below to see the brawl in all its glory. << Previous Article

Read more at: Ex-Red Sox Prospect Engel Beltre Incites Brawl on Walk-Off Home Run | Boston Red Sox | NESN.com

Think this is the other Engel Beltre one, that was not the same as the one in Oakland involving the trash can

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rua and Gallo's highlights were both nice. Gallo with a rough day at the plate though. 0-4 with 2 k's.

And just another example of why there's every reason to send him to AA/AAA to start the season, and see what happens next.

From what I've seen of him, his swing is a little tighter than last year, so he's trying to cut down on his Ks. Also, think he's a better 3rd BM than I'd previously thought.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure thing, I remembered I had posted on here last year I believe.
Kid has matured a lot and its good for him and the organization because we didnt have much choice. His success has been very much needed and certainly will be needed again this season. Hope to see him continue to grow as a man and ball player.

Yeah, I see nothing from Odor that has shown me to where he would be a problem player. Things can happen in a game with anyone but some guys like Engel Beltre just have an attitude that leads to problems.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I see nothing from Odor that has shown me to where he would be a problem player. Things can happen in a game with anyone but some guys like Engel Beltre just have an attitude that leads to problems.

I see nothing but positives for him, he's getting to learn the game from quality guys like AB and EA and such and he is getting to play daily. I cant imagine having a better job as a young guy. Playing on a team where there isn't a ton of pressure or expectations to win a WS immediately, considering the injuries and team landscape. He gets to go out and have fun and play hard and not really worry about winning a job or having to overtake a veteran guy to win a spot. This seems like the perfect situation for him to excel in

Last edited:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fraley needs to be more thorough in his writing. He only gives the combined numbers for all LF candidates and is cherry picking to try to prove his point. So I guess I'll do his leg work for him and be the one to be relatively objective.

Smolinski: .333/.391/.619/1.010/1HR/2 RBI/3K/21 AB

Rua: .250/.280/.500/.780/1HR/4 RBI/8K/24 AB

I'm only including those two because we all know the decision is going to come down to those two. Smolinki's line is absolutely smoking. Granted it's an extremely small sample size, but we're talking about spring training results here. Fact is, it completely negates the tone of Fraley's article.

Rua's stat line is less impressive, and the high strikeout rate is mildly concerning, but again we're talking small sample size in the first three weeks of spring training. Both he and Smolinski have flashed power, and Rua is hitting .250, and is managing a fairly respectable OPS of .780 in spite of his low .280 OBP.

Both Rua and Smolinski are doing what we were hoping to see from them at this point in the spring. So thanks for playing Fraley, but next time, do better.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fraley needs to be more thorough in his writing. He only gives the combined numbers for all LF candidates and is cherry picking to try to prove his point. So I guess I'll do his leg work for him and be the one to be relatively objective.

Smolinski: .333/.391/.619/1.010/1HR/2 RBI/3K/21 AB

Rua: .250/.280/.500/.780/1HR/4 RBI/8K/24 AB

I'm only including those two because we all know the decision is going to come down to those two. Smolinki's line is absolutely smoking. Granted it's an extremely small sample size, but we're talking about spring training results here. Fact is, it completely negates the tone of Fraley's article.

Rua's stat line is less impressive, and the high strikeout rate is mildly concerning, but again we're talking small sample size in the first three weeks of spring training. Both he and Smolinski have flashed power, and Rua is hitting .250, and is managing a fairly respectable OPS of .780 in spite of his low .280 OBP.

Both Rua and Smolinski are doing what we were hoping to see from them at this point in the spring. So thanks for playing Fraley, but next time, do better.

My thoughts exactly. Fraley really has a hard time complimenting younger players.