• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suggest everyone check out the leaping play Gallo made at 3rd today. It's on MLB.com. His leaping ability is what stood out.

Rua put a beautiful swing on his HR too

Gallo said the other day, in his opinion, too much was made of his size, and not enough of his athletic ability.

Let's not forget something Ranger fans.....we've been blessed to see some truly terrific 3rd baseman over the years: Buddy Bell, Steve Buchele, and now Beltre.

And not one of them has anything close to the raw power this young man shows.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I did use "leery" and "possibility" in the same sentence to describe my thoughts on him.

Again, he's only 22. Maybe he'll pull his head outta his butt yet.

Deep in the back of my brain dimly remembered ... didn't Rougned Odor get into some sort of on-field fracas at Hickory? Can't find any reference to it in my Outlook Search of Scott Lucas daily reports.

Reason I was trying to remember is that clearly if there was an issue with 18-19yo Rougned Odor he has put that aside if there ever was an issue ... it certainly didn't affect as a 20yo making his debut for TEX when Profar went down. Odor excelled well beyond the pretenders Donnie Murphy and Josh Wilson.

Odor's nearly two years younger than DeShields. If DeShields has turned the corner and realizes the lifeline that TEX threw him ... that's great. He has a guy two years younger than he is already on the roster who ought to be his role model.

Otherwise ... need to decide by the end of ST and either have him pack for Arlington or Houston.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rule 5 question ...

So TEX picks up Delino DeShields Jr unprotected by HOU in the Rule 5 draft. TEX tries him out but elects to not put him on the 25-man and returns him to HOU. What's next? Does HOU have to put him on waivers or I suppose they put him on their own 25man. But if they were to put him on waivers ... why couldn't TEX claim him as a minor leaguer and assign him to AAA?

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule 5 question ...

So TEX picks up Delino DeShields Jr unprotected by HOU in the Rule 5 draft. TEX tries him out but elects to not put him on the 25-man and returns him to HOU. What's next? Does HOU have to put him on waivers or I suppose they put him on their own 25man. But if they were to put him on waivers ... why couldn't TEX claim him as a minor leaguer and assign him to AAA?

I don't think Houston would have to put him on waivers.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deep in the back of my brain dimly remembered ... didn't Rougned Odor get into some sort of on-field fracas at Hickory? Can't find any reference to it in my Outlook Search of Scott Lucas daily reports.

Reason I was trying to remember is that clearly if there was an issue with 18-19yo Rougned Odor he has put that aside if there ever was an issue ... it certainly didn't affect as a 20yo making his debut for TEX when Profar went down. Odor excelled well beyond the pretenders Donnie Murphy and Josh Wilson.

Odor's nearly two years younger than DeShields. If DeShields has turned the corner and realizes the lifeline that TEX threw him ... that's great. He has a guy two years younger than he is already on the roster who ought to be his role model.

Otherwise ... need to decide by the end of ST and either have him pack for Arlington or Houston.

You may be thinking of Engel Beltre.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison's confidence growing in return from spinal fusion surgery | texasrangers.com

Matt Harrison threw 15 pitches off a half-mound on Sunday. He showed up on Monday morning without any soreness in the back and renewed hope he will eventually pitch in the Major Leagues again.

That appeared to be a dubious proposition when he underwent spinal fusion surgery on June 3, 2014. It was his fourth back operation in two years and the most radical, one that offered no precedent of an athlete undergoing and then returning to peak form.

But as he graduates from flat ground to half-mound, Harrison's confidence is growing.

"It was a little weird getting off a mound again," Harrison said. "But my back felt good and my arm felt good. It was good to do it again. The first time on a slope is the first test of how I'll feel going downhill. It's not the big slope but it is different from flat ground. It's a good sign that I'm not sore today."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Initial reports following the surgery suggested retirement was a far more likely option than pitching again.

Now the odds are slowly tilting the other way.

"I don't think about [retirement] anymore," Harrison said. "It would definitely be hard to do without giving it another shot. The more I learn and the more I understand the rehab, I feel good about the possibility of getting back to a five-day rehab."

Harrison hopes to be on the full mound by next Monday but is still a long way from pitching in any kind of a game. As far as a Major League game, even under best-case scenario, it would probably be in July or later. That still beats the alternative, and patience remains paramount.

"It does get a little old but the more time I take, the better the back feels," Harrison said. "I keep in mind I only have one shot at this."

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the youngsters showed very nicely. Great to see Rua getting on track early.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison's confidence growing in return from spinal fusion surgery | texasrangers.com

Matt Harrison threw 15 pitches off a half-mound on Sunday. He showed up on Monday morning without any soreness in the back and renewed hope he will eventually pitch in the Major Leagues again.

That appeared to be a dubious proposition when he underwent spinal fusion surgery on June 3, 2014. It was his fourth back operation in two years and the most radical, one that offered no precedent of an athlete undergoing and then returning to peak form.

But as he graduates from flat ground to half-mound, Harrison's confidence is growing.

"It was a little weird getting off a mound again," Harrison said. "But my back felt good and my arm felt good. It was good to do it again. The first time on a slope is the first test of how I'll feel going downhill. It's not the big slope but it is different from flat ground. It's a good sign that I'm not sore today."
Good man to have in your fox hole. Lots of guts and stamina. Best wishes to a man climbing a steep hill.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I couldn't have been more wrong about Choice. He has been pathetic this ST. Maybe it will work in reverse. He was awesome in ST and then sucked during the season last year. This year he must be planning to suck during ST so he tears it up when the season starts.

at Round Rock. Wonder if he will get the Joey Butler/Mike Olt memorial locker?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Beltre getting involved in an altercation with fans.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rua and Gallo's highlights were both nice. Gallo with a rough day at the plate though. 0-4 with 2 k's.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought that was the incident you were referring to.

Not sure it is ... I remember the incident was at Hickory not Frisco. But that works.

In starting to run through old Scott Lucas emails from 2011 forward I came across this from Scott's May 30, 2012 Rangers Farm Report --

Rougned Odor's .364/.500/.727 earned the Sally League's Player of the Week award. Odor clubbed five doubles and a homer. Last night, Odor walked twice and singled. (Scott Lucas -May 30, 2012)

That was nearly 3 years ago. Nice huh!? Look forward to Odor having a great sophomore season. He sure stepped up as a rookie.