• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead give up just about whatever it takes for Cole Hamels...then our 1-4 in rotation would be as good or better than anyone else.

Probably so.

But it won't win us a thing if Prince/Choo don't rebound from injuries.

We've got questions - some of them major questions - at almost every position going into 2015. Can EA return to what we saw a few years ago? Is Odor the answer, long term at 2nd? If not, is Profar? How much longer can we count on AB at 3rd, and can we count on Prince at 1st at all? Can Martin hit lefties and if so, is he the answer in the LO position? Who's gonna be in left and are we going to be happy with those results? And all of this before discussing pitching; both starting and the pen.

I'm gonna keep saying this, "sit tight and don't make any major move until we get through ST at the least." There'll be time to make a move if all things come to a positive conclusion. It's just not today.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't we have this discussion yesterday?

You want him, and I don't for the reasons we both went through yesterday. Remember?

And since you want this guy so badly, please tell us - be specific - on what you're willing to give up to get him.

It's called sarcasm :whistle:

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But like I said yesterday I would give up a good prospect if they pick up a little more than half the money

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But like I said yesterday I would give up a good prospect if they pick up a little more than half the money

For them to pick up more than half Texas would have to hand over Chi Chi, Gallo, and Alfaro.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it would be that much
Do you know RAJ? He's not going to give up Lee and over 13M dollars for just one of those guys. It would likely take just one of those to get him for the full price.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes zero sense to trade for a Lee or a Hamels in the offseason if you're the 2015 Rangers. At the trade deadline, when we have a better sense of the Rangers and the pitchers in question? Then you see where things are.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it would be that much

Usually those who are dying to make trades either talk themselves into thinking it won't cost much or they talk themselves into thinking prospects aren't worth much anyway. If Lee goes back to being the pitcher he was before last year then it will cost a ton in terms of prospects even if Philly doesn't pick up much of his contract. If Lee doesn't return to form he isn't worth trading for.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually those who are dying to make trades either talk themselves into thinking it won't cost much or they talk themselves into thinking prospects aren't worth much anyway. If Lee goes back to being the pitcher he was before last year then it will cost a ton in terms of prospects even if Philly doesn't pick up much of his contract. If Lee doesn't return to form he isn't worth trading for.

so the safest thing to do is absolutely nothing

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely. Grasping at straws like that is a great way to close your window for 10 years.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the safest thing to do is absolutely nothing

It is about being smart more than it is about being safe. It simply isn't smart to trade for a guy making that much money after the season he just had at his age. It wouldn't be smart for teams to trade for Josh Hamilton or Prince Fielder right now either.

It also isn't usually smart to mortgage the future for the present. That is expecially true when the present is such a mystery.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is about being smart more than it is about being safe. It simply isn't smart to trade for a guy making that much money after the season he just had at his age. It wouldn't be smart for teams to trade for Josh Hamilton or Prince Fielder right now either.

It also isn't usually smart to mortgage the future for the present. That is expecially true when the present is such a mystery.

Contrary to what one individual thinks I was actually agreeing with you. We seem to be set for ST so let's see what we've got and if later we feel the need then do something prior to the trading deadline.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contrary to what one individual thinks I was actually agreeing with you. We seem to be set for ST so let's see what we've got and if later we feel the need then do something prior to the trading deadline.

I misunderstood as well. Thanks for clearing it up.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes zero sense to trade for a Lee or a Hamels in the offseason if you're the 2015 Rangers. At the trade deadline, when we have a better sense of the Rangers and the pitchers in question? Then you see where things are.

THANK YOU for showing up with a voice of sanity.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some forget on how and why Cliff Lee ever got on our radar to begin with.

These are my words, but I suspect it went something like this.........management went to ownership and said to effect, "this guy can be the tipping point of us going to our first WS." And the rest is history.

A Lee/Hamels trade is something which is made when you're 95% sure - better maybe - that this guy takes you over the top.

Right now, we have absolutely no clue if we'd win the the AL with both Lee and Hamels, based on the number of positional question marks we have.

Sorry Ham.....but I'm not buying you being sarcastic on bringing up Lee to the Rangers again. And again.