• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have no way of knowing, I think the rest of the guys on that list have already shown themselves to be overpaid

Lee doesn't fall into that category, he's actually outperformed his contract thus far, even with last year

What you THINK he he will do this year doesn't make him already overpaid

Lee fits into it as much as C J Wilson does. He has only had the one bad year as well. In the article the author puts the emphasis on what they are making in 2015. He does the article based on what he thinks the players will do. Of course their past has to be known in order to make a guess about 2015. You are right in that neither what I think nor what the author thinks either one makes him overpaid already. it was an opinion of the author and I added my opinion based on the author's criteria. I know you don't like the criteria, but I wasn't commenting based on the criteria you thought should have been used. I was simply replying based on the article. If CJ's one bad year was enough for the author to include him then I thought Lee would fit as well, especially since Lee is two years older than CJ. To me Cliff's age and his inability to stay well last year puts a clear line between his past and now for him. That is why I said what I said about "now" and "then".

Both pitchers may rebound and be worth every penny in 2015. Who knows, even Hamilton could have a good year in 2015.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Title was "The 5 Most Overpaid MLB Players Heading into 2015"

Yes it was. Had it been titled The 5 Most Overpaid Players Over The Course Of Their Present Contracts I wouldn't have suggested the possibility of adding Cliff Lee.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get how Teix wasn't on that list of overpaid players. When someone said 3 former Rangers were on it, I thought for sure he would make the list.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it was. Had it been titled The 5 Most Overpaid Players Over The Course Of Their Present Contracts I wouldn't have suggested the possibility of adding Cliff Lee.

I don't see how Lee can be overpaid headed into 2015 when he's actually outperformed his contract thus far

I'm not a Cliff Lee fan, but considering no one really thought he would live up to his contract, he's proven everyone wrong so far, so heading into 2015, he's no where near overpaid

For you to say Lee means you are seriously twisting the intent of this article IMO

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee fits into it as much as C J Wilson does. He has only had the one bad year as well. In the article the author puts the emphasis on what they are making in 2015. He does the article based on what he thinks the players will do. Of course their past has to be known in order to make a guess about 2015. You are right in that neither what I think nor what the author thinks either one makes him overpaid already. it was an opinion of the author and I added my opinion based on the author's criteria. I know you don't like the criteria, but I wasn't commenting based on the criteria you thought should have been used. I was simply replying based on the article. If CJ's one bad year was enough for the author to include him then I thought Lee would fit as well, especially since Lee is two years older than CJ. To me Cliff's age and his inability to stay well last year puts a clear line between his past and now for him. That is why I said what I said about "now" and "then".

Both pitchers may rebound and be worth every penny in 2015. Who knows, even Hamilton could have a good year in 2015.

But Hamilton would still be overpaid going into 2015 based on his current production and what he's been paid

CJ Wilson is a bad example, he's had "one bad year" but he's provided $-800,000, +5,100,000, and -12,400,000 in value in his 3 years, so as far as being overpaid, he's done it 2 of his 3 years for a a total of -8,100,000 in value

And considering he's only had one season where's he's exceeded his 2015 salary of 18,000,000 then he's a pretty safe bet to achieve the overpaid status again

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get how Teix wasn't on that list of overpaid players. When someone said 3 former Rangers were on it, I thought for sure he would make the list.

You got that right.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Hamilton would still be overpaid going into 2015 based on his current production and what he's been paid

CJ Wilson is a bad example, he's had "one bad year" but he's provided $-800,000, +5,100,000, and -12,400,000 in value in his 3 years, so as far as being overpaid, he's done it 2 of his 3 years for a a total of -8,100,000 in value

And considering he's only had one season where's he's exceeded his 2015 salary of 18,000,000 then he's a pretty safe bet to achieve the overpaid status again

I was mainly joking about Josh.

We are going to be speaking two different lauguages if you cite WAR $$ to me. I don't care about the WAR theory of valuing players. It isn't the cut and dried method of valuing players to me as it is to some. I don't even pay attention to what a player's WAR is. CJ has had 2 good(not great) years and one bad one in my estimation.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how Lee can be overpaid headed into 2015 when he's actually outperformed his contract thus far

I'm not a Cliff Lee fan, but considering no one really thought he would live up to his contract, he's proven everyone wrong so far, so heading into 2015, he's no where near overpaid

For you to say Lee means you are seriously twisting the intent of this article IMO

Face it, we have two completely different opinions about what the article was about. You are thinking what you are thinking based on the life of the contract and I am not. When 2 people view something in a completely different way they are going to come up with 2 different opinions. You think I am twisting the intent of the article and I think you are twisting it. There is really no use bantering back and forth any longer is there? What I say makes no sense to you and vice versa.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scheppers working toward major role in bullpen | texasrangers.com

Rangers reliever Tanner Scheppers took a significant step on Wednesday by throwing off the mound in the bullpen for the first time this offseason.
"It went good," Scheppers said. "Everything has been feeling good. I feel healthy, I'm excited for the year."

Scheppers is just one of several players being monitored by the Rangers this winter because of health issues stemming from last year. But there is no doubting his importance to the club as Spring Training approaches and the bullpen is still being addressed.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though Brandon Beachy was reportedly considering multiple offers and was thought to be close to signing a new contract earlier this month, his agent Rob Martin tells Ken Rosenthal (all Twitter links) that the right-hander will wait a bit longer. “Brandon has decided not to sign a contract at this time. With each day his arm is getting stronger and he’s feeling even more confident about his progress,” Martin said. “Thus, he is going to continue with his throwing program and make a decision closer to Spring Training.”

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/01/quick-hits-joba-beachy-eovaldi-clippard.html

Last edited by a moderator:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just thankful as a fan that we don't have the same manager as we had last year. You need a lot of things along the way and health is certainly a major factor, but we have seen in the postseason just how important a good manager can be.

I agree with ya. But I also think Cowlishaw is making a very valid point re: our health was the major problem last year, regardless of who was at the helm

But again, trust me, I'm so delighted to see RW gone.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Rangers are currently 7th, but could be 8th or 9th by the time ST is over. They currently have a payroll of just under $136 million."

Pretty sizeable drop-off from 6th to 7th, would like to see this team someday close that gap instead of allowing it to grow

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Rangers are currently 7th, but could be 8th or 9th by the time ST is over. They currently have a payroll of just under $136 million."

Pretty sizeable drop-off from 6th to 7th, would like to see this team someday close that gap instead of allowing it to grow

I am hoping that whatever it is that is causing our payroll to need to be near $135 million is temporary and we can get closer to $155-160 million as soon as next year if we need to. By the next offseason we should know a lot more about our younger players and prospects and can tell if we need to ramp up the payroll or if help is coming from the farm in a cheap way.