• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last two paragraphs of that article. We have the money. And Scott Van Pelt was talking today about the extra money each MLB team was getting from the ESPN contracts could cause some big moves to be made.

Can the Rangers afford all this? Absolutely. Their 2013 payroll was about $125 million. Before this trade, Baseball-Reference estimated the Rangers' 2014 payroll (with the current roster) at about $107 million. With each team gaining about $25 million in additional revenue in 2014 from national TV contracts -- plus the Rangers' own local cable deal that begins in 2015 and triples their annual payment to about $80 million per season -- the Rangers will be swimming in cash. They will increase their payroll.

Cano to the Rangers. I don't know if Cano will get the $300 million he and agent Jay-Z have reported asked for, but Ray Davis isn't going to balk at $200 million.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, MLB Trade was making a comment about moving Profar out and going after Cano. Crazy I know. But could you imagine having Fielder, Beltre and Cano in your lineup? And of course Napoli will probably not be coming here.

I had the same sort of idea yesterday except I had Kemp and his contract coming in and not Fielder's

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
... They will increase their payroll.

Tap the brakes on just spending money just because you have it. Certainly there is head room with the various TV deals but name one deal TEX didn't make because Ray and the other owners didn't want to ante up any more money.

Now ... if TEX signs Cano next ... that is going to blow things up in LAA and OAK for sure.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the same sort of idea yesterday except I had Kemp and his contract coming in and not Fielder's

Glad we got fielder instead of Kemp. This is why JD is the wizard.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tap the brakes on just spending money just because you have it. Certainly there is head room with the various TV deals but name one deal TEX didn't make because Ray and the other owners didn't want to ante up any more money.

Now ... if TEX signs Cano next ... that is going to blow things up in LAA and OAK for sure.

I would not want them to be fiscally irresponsible. But the change of Fielder for Kinsler based upon the article took our current payroll from $107 mill to $111 mill. Last year's payroll was $125 mill. We still have room to move.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw the alert too and knew you guys would all be here. Best of luck Ian ... I suppose Mitch is next. Fielder is definitely a power upgrade to elite status at 1b and it cleans up the roadblock in the middle IF.

If there was any question about JD's focus on making trades that matter (none of us here of course) well the local print media buffoons need to go eat their shirts.

I expect fielder to DH against RHP and play first vs LHP. Just my thought though.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would not want them to be fiscally irresponsible. But the change of Fielder for Kinsler based upon the article took our current payroll from $107 mill to $111 mill. We still have room to move.

Certainly agree with that ... that's pocket change. I'm just saying that anticipated TV money doesn't change the budget ... it just changes where the money that comes from that funds the budget. Operating revenues what they are ... with the TV money then Ray doesn't have to keep anteing up for player contracts and takes the pressure off ticket and concession sales and prices.

All I am saying is ... TV money just changes how the budget is funded.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly agree with that ... that's pocket change. I'm just saying that anticipated TV money doesn't change the budget ... it just changes where the money that comes from that funds the budget. Operating revenues what they are ... with the TV money then Ray doesn't have to keep anteing up for player contracts and takes the pressure off ticket and concession sales and prices.

All I am saying is ... TV money just changes how the budget is funded.

JD just gave us a creative way to improve our lineup without killing our payroll. I'm betting Ray Davis and company would loosen the belt a little bit to make a move that greatly improves the team.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I expect fielder to DH against RHP and play first vs LHP. Just my thought though.

Why not everyday starter? No reason to take him off the field. Who is the LH 1b bat that would be playing when Fielder is DHing? Mitch?

Mitch is one dimensional 1b only and you can't afford a spot on the roster for a backup 1bman.

I may be missing something Rev.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. I never even thought of Prince.

This really caught all of us off guard. I think it is great the stinking media did not get a chance to get into the middle of this and make a statement about a possible trade may be brewing between with Fielder going to the Rangers for Kinsler. They really kept this quiet.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not everyday starter? No reason to take him off the field. Who is the LH 1b bat that would be playing when Fielder is DHing? Mitch?

Mitch is one dimensional 1b only and you can't afford a spot on the roster for a backup 1bman.

Jd may already have something working that involves Mitch.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I said the same thing Rev said. As it stands right now, Mitch/Fielder would be the DH's. The reason you take him off the field is because Mitch is a much better 1B. Fielder has a negative def WAR every year.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JD just gave us a creative way to improve our lineup without killing our payroll. I'm betting Ray Davis and company would loosen the belt a little bit to make a move that greatly improves the team.

Just improved the team significantly for $4mil. Didn't take a lot of money. Doesn't mean they don't make a big money move but its not a forgone conclusion just because there is TV money coming. Spending money just because you have it is what has gotten NYY and LAA in trouble.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This really caught all of us off guard. I think it is great the stinking media did not get a chance to get into the middle of this and make a statement about a possible trade may be brewing between with Fielder going to the Rangers for Kinsler. They really kept this quiet.

That's exactly how it should be. Evan Grant can suck a dick. People should remember this when they don't think jd is"getting anything done".

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mitch plays a better first base and he has value against RHP. It would be very wise to hit him 7th against RHP and play 1B. Fielder has loads of value in his bat alone. You get two LHH in vs RHP that way. Texas doesn't need to worry about bringing a Beltran in to DH now. They have Fielder vs RHP.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said the same thing Rev said. As it stands right now, Mitch/Fielder would be the DH's. The reason you take him off the field is because Mitch is a much better 1B. Fielder has a negative def WAR every year.

If Texas adds someone like Choo or really does go after Cano, then Mitch hitting against RHP is a dangerous lineup to have.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just improved the team significantly for $4mil. Didn't take a lot of money. Doesn't mean they don't make a big money move but its not a forgone conclusion just because there is TV money coming. Spending money just because you have it is what has gotten NYY and LAA in trouble.

I agree. I don't know exactly how it will get done, but I'm convinced jd is just getting started with moves that improve this team this off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.