• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tigers
Dodgers
Cardinals
Red Sox
A's
Rangers
Braves
Nationals
Royals
Pirates

Rays, Reds, DBacks, Indians, and Angels got honorable mention.

I think he's got the A's and Royals overrated and Rangers and Rays underrated.

Buster Olney is a good guy and pretty smart ... but objectively ranking top 10 teams? What a miracle ... there are exactly five teams from both leagues!

He is just selling ad space for clicks from 10 markets. Whatever he says 3 or 4 of us could write with equal credibility. Olney is smart ... and if he had to say who was best ... and posted in his column why Team X is the best I would buy that. We might debate him on his points ... but it would be an honest perspective.

When you put out a magic 10 ... 5 from each league by some miracle ... all he's doing is selling advertising space in 10 markets. This is just ESPN advertising revenue.

I guarantee you that his ESPN bosses told him to put together a list ... and while may not have told him which markets to hit ... the fact that there are 10 teams (and their competitors who would disagree and want to read the story too) ... makes this a crock.

Actually there are 15 with the honorable mentions ... that is half of all the teams in MLB! What a CROCK!

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atta boy Sooners! What a game!

There is just not a conference this year that is head and shoulders better than any other conference. In fact since Mizzou and A&M have come into the SEC the supposed great defenses that conference had in times past have vanished.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buster Olney is a good guy and pretty smart ... but objectively ranking top 10 teams? What a miracle ... there are exactly five teams from both leagues!

He is just selling ad space for clicks from 10 markets. Whatever he says 3 or 4 of us could write with equal credibility. Olney is smart ... and if he had to say who was best ... and posted in his column why Team X is the best I would buy that. We might debate him on his points ... but it would be an honest perspective.

When you put out a magic 10 ... 5 from each league by some miracle ... all he's doing is selling advertising space in 10 markets. This is just ESPN advertising revenue.

I guarantee you that his ESPN bosses told him to put together a list ... and while may not have told him which markets to hit ... the fact that there are 10 teams (and their competitors who would disagree and want to read the story too) ... makes this a crock.

Actually there are 15 with the honorable mentions ... that is half of all the teams in MLB! What a CROCK!
Evidently no one ever proofs what these guys write.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. So sorry about Baylor last night, DT! But hey our Mean Green won! I didn't know North Texas was in a bowl game.

It was a great week leading up to the game. I went to the game and was proud of the team, university and the fans showing up. Things have changed a lot in Denton and are continuing to do so. I encourage you to go up there and attend some FB games at the new stajum. It was great to be a NT fan and alum.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a great week leading up to the game. I went to the game and was proud of the team, university and the fans showing up. Things have changed a lot in Denton and are continuing to do so. I encourage you to go up there and attend some FB games at the new stajum. It was great to be a NT fan and alum.
AGREE 100%. My daughter and I both went there. Has really taken on a new look.

kdm1218

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were saying? :whistle:
Ha, I'll take my crow fried please :)

Happy for the Big 12, just never saw that one coming from the offense that showed all year long before last night.

kdm1218

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is just not a conference this year that is head and shoulders better than any other conference. In fact since Mizzou and A&M have come into the SEC the supposed great defenses that conference had in times past have vanished.
It was certainly nice to see an uptempo Big 12 team torch one of the nation's "best defenses" with an O that had previously mainly underperformed and struggled all year.

Last year I kept trying to tell people that A&M was immediately competitive in the SEC because they were a Big 12-built team in a different conference.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to do that. Haven't been back in Denton in so long. Sure it's been vastly changed since I've been going there. I recommend anyone of age to go to North Texas. Glad they are having success.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see who can make the closest prediction of the contract Tanaka will sign in a couple weeks. Put me down for 7 years and $125 million.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see who can make the closest prediction of the contract Tanaka will sign in a couple weeks. Put me down for 7 years and $125 million.

Is that just the contract or with the posting fee included?

Just contract 6/100

If its the Yankees 7/120

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to do that. Haven't been back in Denton in so long. Sure it's been vastly changed since I've been going there. I recommend anyone of age to go to North Texas. Glad they are having success.
When I went the school was known for excellence in Language (English) and Music. No idea today.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that just the contract or with the posting fee included?

Just contract 6/100

If its the Yankees 7/120

That is my prediction for just the contract because I think the Yankees and Mariners will get in a bidding war over him. I do think he will be a Yankee when its all said and done.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I went the school was known for excellence in Language (English) and Music. No idea today.
It was always known for its jazz bands and has to still be, I would think. Not sure of what else either at this time.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was always known for its jazz bands and has to still be, I would think. Not sure of what else either at this time.

As a fairly recent grad of UNT (Master's), I can say that the Music and Language programs are still very strong. Equally as strong now is the School of Hospitality and Merchandising. UNT has very good programs for hotel and restaurant management, and their Fashion Merchandising degree is excellent. They are also one of the top schools in the south for Online Merchandising and Marketing. They recently completed work on their brand new Global Digital Retailing Research Center (which I never got to use because I had already graduated).

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is my prediction for just the contract because I think the Yankees and Mariners will get in a bidding war over him. I do think he will be a Yankee when its all said and done.

The DBacks were prepared to give Choo 140+ million until they acquired Trumbo. They've said they could spend that 140 on Tanaka now.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DBacks were prepared to give Choo 140+ million until they acquired Trumbo. They've said they could spend that 140 on Tanaka now.

They have a staff full of #3-4 types, he'll fit right in

They better hope Tanaka & Bradley are legit, because that staff is full of imposters otherwise

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have a staff full of #3-4 types, he'll fit right in

They better hope Tanaka & Bradley are legit, because that staff is full of imposters otherwise

I agree. Although Corbin looks pretty good.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still strong in those areas for sure and as always music is always one of the nations best. Adding to Will's comments, their business, engineering, and science divisions have made astronomical strides. They've poured a ton of money into those as well as their new research park. A bunch of new dorms and stuff as well. It is definitely nothing like the old UNT for sure. It's the 4th largest school in TX and still growing.

The whole idea and perception that NT is only an artsy school with nothing but hippies is far from the truth and dead in the water. Good things are happening in Denton. Does apathy still exist? It does but the culture is slowly but surely changing.