• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Draft thread

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walter Football latest for May 5th.

1st round:

Joel Bitonio, OT/G/C, Nevada
This pick may surprise some, but remember that the Seahawks chose Bruce Irvin in the middle of the first round a couple of springs ago even though most had Irvin as a Round 2-3 player. Joel Bitonio simply fits what Seattle looks for in a prospect, and he would fill a major void at right tackle. Bitonio can play any position up front, including center, so Seattle will love his versatility.

*** OTHER 2014 NFL DRAFT POSSIBILITIES: ***

1. Ra'Shede Hageman, DT - Hageman has the size and speed that this Seattle regime covets. I'm sure the Seahawks would love to have another interior pass rusher.

2. Cody Latimer, WR - Another big, athletic player. Latimer would fill another need; a receiver has to be added following Golden Tate's departure.

2nd Round:

Marcus Smith, DE/OLB, Louisville
The Seahawks lost Chris Clemons to the Jaguars and may see Cliff Avril walk next spring. They need a new LEO. Marcus Smith perfectly fits what Seattle looks for in its draft prospects.

4th round:

Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
The Seahawks will also need depth at corner, given that Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond both left.

5th round:

Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley State
Golden Tate left for Detroit, but the Seahawks needed an upgrade at receiver anyway (Cris Carter would agree).

Blake Annen, TE, Cincinnati
There's a chance Zach Miller won't be back next year, so the Seahawks will have to find another tight end to go along with Luke Willson.

6th Round:

Carlos Fields, OLB, Winston-Salem
The Seahawks could use a linebacker, and Carlos Fields has the athleticism that they covet.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walter Football latest for May 5th.

1st round:

Joel Bitonio, OT/G/C, Nevada
This pick may surprise some, but remember that the Seahawks chose Bruce Irvin in the middle of the first round a couple of springs ago even though most had Irvin as a Round 2-3 player. Joel Bitonio simply fits what Seattle looks for in a prospect, and he would fill a major void at right tackle. Bitonio can play any position up front, including center, so Seattle will love his versatility.

*** OTHER 2014 NFL DRAFT POSSIBILITIES: ***

1. Ra'Shede Hageman, DT - Hageman has the size and speed that this Seattle regime covets. I'm sure the Seahawks would love to have another interior pass rusher.

2. Cody Latimer, WR - Another big, athletic player. Latimer would fill another need; a receiver has to be added following Golden Tate's departure.

2nd Round:

Marcus Smith, DE/OLB, Louisville
The Seahawks lost Chris Clemons to the Jaguars and may see Cliff Avril walk next spring. They need a new LEO. Marcus Smith perfectly fits what Seattle looks for in its draft prospects.

4th round:

Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
The Seahawks will also need depth at corner, given that Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond both left.

5th round:

Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley State
Golden Tate left for Detroit, but the Seahawks needed an upgrade at receiver anyway (Cris Carter would agree).

Blake Annen, TE, Cincinnati
There's a chance Zach Miller won't be back next year, so the Seahawks will have to find another tight end to go along with Luke Willson.

6th Round:

Carlos Fields, OLB, Winston-Salem
The Seahawks could use a linebacker, and Carlos Fields has the athleticism that they covet.

Unless a WR they are targeting is there I do believe they'll go offensive line in the 1st round, that is, if they don't trade down which I think is the the most likely scenario.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI:

The 2014 NFL Draft returns to primetime, with the first round taking place Thursday, May 8 (starting at 8 p.m. ET/5pm PST), followed by the second and third rounds on Friday, May 9 (starting at 7 p.m. ET). Rounds 4-7 will be held Saturday, May 10 (starting at 12 p.m. ET).

For the 1st round, teams are provided up to 10 minutes to make their selections. So be prepared that it could be later evening on Thursday when the Seahawks pick will finally be made. Probably around 8:00pm-8:30pm (PST) unless some type of trade occurs. Last years 1st round lasted 3 hours, 30 minutes.

Things will move a bit faster on Friday as time limit drops to 7 minutes for the 2nd round and 5 minutes for rounds 3 - 7.

Draft will be broadcast on ESPN and NFL network. Both their websites will have an online draft tracker.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI:

The 2014 NFL Draft returns to primetime, with the first round taking place Thursday, May 8 (starting at 8 p.m. ET/5pm PST), followed by the second and third rounds on Friday, May 9 (starting at 7 p.m. ET). Rounds 4-7 will be held Saturday, May 10 (starting at 12 p.m. ET).

For the 1st round, teams are provided up to 10 minutes to make their selections. So be prepared that it could be later evening on Thursday when the Seahawks pick will finally be made. Probably around 8:00pm-8:30pm (PST) unless some type of trade occurs. Last years 1st round lasted 3 hours, 30 minutes.

Things will move a bit faster on Friday as time limit drops to 7 minutes for the 2nd round and 5 minutes for rounds 3 - 7.

Draft will be broadcast on ESPN and NFL network. Both their websites will have an online draft tracker.

Really looking forward to seeing the Seahawks draft. I've gone from OL or WR being picked in the first round , to wondering if a pass rusher may be their first pick. Really hard to tell with the Seahawks.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the the prospects that I like

Wide Receivers

1) Jordan Matthews (WR - Vanderbilt) - 1st or 2nd round
- 6'3 212 lbs ran a 4.46 40 time and has great hands (huge hands too, bigger than Mike Evans). He's my favorite WR not named Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans

2) Brandin Cooks (WR - Oregon State) - 1st round
- His blazing speed is very intriguing. I would prefer a bigger wide receiver, but if he gets to our pick I wouldn't mind grabbing him

3) Marqise Lee (WR - USC) - 1st or 2nd round
- Didn't run a great 40 time, but I think he's one of those guys who is faster game speed and on the field making cuts out of routes. He's probably the most polished and ready wide receiver in our range late in the first round.

4) Martavius Bryant (WR - Clemson) - 2nd round
- 6'3 211 lbs ran a 4.42. A big time underachiever in college, but his talents could be worth a 2nd round look.

5) Donte Moncrief (WR - Ole Miss) - 2nd round
- 6'2 221 lbs ran a 4.40. He has good size and ran a great 40 time. Although I will say his game speed is not as fast as his 4.4 time. He also doesn't play as big as his size consistently. He came up big against Auburn and LSU last year so he may have that "it" factor.

Honorable Mentions
Allen Robinson (WR), Cody Latimer (WR)

Offensive Line

1) Taylor Lewan (OT - Michigan) - Mid 1st round
- I am praying this guy drops to our pick. Highly doubt he will though. He most likely goes in 15-20 if not higher. This guy is a monster at tackle. If we had more picks to play with I wouldn't mind trading up.

2) Zach Martin (OT - Notre Dame) - 1st round
- This guy was excellent throughout college and was even better in the senior bowl going up against other potential draftees. I say take him if he last to our pick. I say he goes in the mid 20s

3) Xavier Su'a Filo (OG - UCLA) 1st or 2nd round
- This guy would be a very solid pick for us. He will most likely make it to the end of the first round. Will be interesting to see if we go his way or a different position if he's there

4) Joe Bitonio (OT - Nevada) 1st or 2nd round
- Probably the best athlete at the OT/OG position coming out of this year's draft. We took him in the 2nd round in the SportsHoopla Mock Draft. If we can get him in the 2nd round in the real draft I would be absolutely thrilled

Honorable Mentions
- Morgan Moses (OT), David Yankey (OG/OT)

Defensive Line

1) Ra'Shede Hageman (DT - Minnesota) 1st round
- Rated as the 2nd best DT behind Aaron Donald. This pick will all depend on how much we value Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams. I really like Hageman, but a 1st round pick may be a waste if Pete and John feel like Hill can contribute this year. Might be smarter to go O-line

2) Kony Ealy (DE - Missouri) 1st or 2nd round
- Like his size (6'4) and athleticism and potential to be an impact pass rusher. He could use some bulk and work in the weight room, but with an NFL staff to work with him I'm sure he could reach that and fill up his frame.

3) Stephon Pruitt (DT - Notre Dame) 2nd round
- Very intriguing prospect as a pass rusher on the inside. I would prefer him in the 2nd round, but doubt he'd make it to the end of the 2nd round

Other prospects I like but play a position we don't need

1) Deone Bucannon (SS - Washington State)
- Went to the wrong school (lol) but I love this guy at safety. Good size (6'1 211) and delivers hard hits.

2) Ryan Shazier (OLB - Ohio State)
- This guy is a beast. If we weren't so stacked at LB I would not mind taking him.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting Mock by B/R's Keith Myers. This one involves a trade down of our 1st.

His reasoning:

The Seahawks have traded away their third-round pick as part of the deal for wide receiver Percy Harvin, and they recently traded away their seventh-round pick for quarterback Terelle Pryor. This leaves Seattle with just six picks in this year's draft.

Look for the Seahawks to pick up some extra draft picks by trading down into the early part of the second round. The difficulty in these situations is often finding a trading partner. Someone has to be willing to give up a suitable package of draft picks to move up and select an available player.

A likely trading partner here would be the Jacksonville Jaguars. They need a quarterback to build around and a chance to move up to get a player like Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater should be too much to pass up.

For the purpose of this mock draft, the Seahawks are trading their first-round pick (No. 32) to the Jaguars for their second and third-round selections (No. 39 and No. 70)

This trade was chosen because it seems plausible to actually happen and because it provides the Seahawks with a third-round pick, something they currently lack.

With that trade happening, here is his mock:

2nd round:

(39) Jeremiah Attaochu (OLB/DE, Georgia Tech)

With the first of the picks acquired from the Jaguars, the Seahawks address their need at defensive end. Seattle lost starters at the position from the 2013 Super Bowl team in free agency, and they need to find some pass-rushing help to fill the void.

Jeremiah Attaochu would be just that. He was a 3-4 OLB in college, but he doesn't look comfortable or natural in coverage. This suggests that he might be better suited to be a 4-3 defensive end, especially as a LEO-type end like Seattle uses.

Attaochu is a natural pass-rusher with great speed and burst to get to the quarterback. It may take some time for him to develop into a complete player, but he will be able to make an immediate impact as a situational pass-rusher.

(64) Gabe Jackson (OG, Mississippi State)

The Seahawks lost starting right tackle Breno Giacomin and key reserve guard/tackle Paul McQuistan in free agency. They also announced that they have declined the fifth-year option on guard James Carpenter's contract, signaling that his time with the team is nearing its end.

While the team has promising youngsters Alvin Bailey and Michael Bowie ready to compete for playing time, there is still an obvious need for additional talent and depth along the offensive line.

Jackson appears to offer an instant upgrade for Seattle's offensive interior. He's a powerful run-blocker with very quick feet. He is likely to drop to this stage in the draft because he isn't good at blocking in space when pulling to lead around the corner, but that isn't something he'll be asked to do in Seattle's zone-blocking scheme.

3rd round:

(70) Paul Richardson (WR, Colorado)

This is the second and final pick acquired from Jacksonville in the trade mocked back in Round 1.

An already shallow position group for the Seahawks got even worse with the departure of wide receiver Golden Tate to Detroit in free agency. Sidney Rice and Doug Baldwin are entering the final year of their contracts, which only complicates the problem. The Seahawks badly need additional young talent at receiver in this draft.

The re-signing of Rice and the deep draft class at wide receiver give the Seahawks the luxury of waiting until this point in addressing this obvious need but waiting any longer would be a mistake. Colorado's Paul Richardson gives the Seahawks a genuine deep threat who can take the top off of a defense and create additional space for receivers like Baldwin and Percy Harvin to work.

4th Round:

(132) Ed Reynolds (FS, Stanford)

Stanford's Reynolds gives the Seahawks something they've never had, a true backup for star free safety Earl Thomas. Like Thomas, Reynolds is an aggressive and rangy center-field type free safety that can play in the single-high formations that the Seahawks use.

5th Round

(146) Howard Jones (LB, Shepard)

Howard Jones is more of an athlete than a football player at this point, but his explosive combination of size and speed is something that will interest the Seahawks. The team's depth at LB will provide Jones time to learn his position before being called upon to play meaningful defensive snaps, though his athleticism should allow him to make an instant impact on special teams.

(172) Shaquille Richardson (CB, Arizona)

The Seahawks lost two cornerbacks in free agency and need to re-stock their depth at the position. Richardson is a physical press corner that fits the mold the Seahawks prefer at the position. Richardson is far from a polished product, but he has enough upside to interest Seattle at this point in the draft.

6th Round:

(208) Seantrel Henderson (OT, Miami)

Rob Rang of CBSSports.com describes Miami's Seantrel Henderson as having "a similarly jaw-dropping combination of size and power as San Diego Chargers 2013 first round pick D.J. Fluker." Henderson clearly has the athleticism of a first-round offensive tackle, but his injury history and off-field troubles will have taken him completely off of many teams' draft boards.

The Seahawks under Schneider have been willing to gamble on players like this, so it makes sense for Seattle to take a chance on Henderson here. Henderson's technique against speed rushers could use some work, but there are few players who display his raw power in the running game.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayock releases his final draft. For the NFC West, its:

Rams

(2) Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
(13) Odell Beckham, WR, LSU

Cards

(20) Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA

Giners

(30) Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame

Seahawks

(32) Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska

"Jean-Baptiste is a former wide receiver like Richard Sherman, but has the size of Brandon Browner. He fits what Seattle does as a long corner and has significant upside."

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'd be pissed if Seattle got Tuitt. I'm hoping they trade up for one of the following players:

Aaron Donald, Darqueze Dennard, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham...

or take Kelvin Benjamin at 32. That'd make my draft day. :D

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be pissed if Seattle got Tuitt. I'm hoping they trade up for one of the following players:

Aaron Donald, Darqueze Dennard, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham...

or take Kelvin Benjamin at 32. That'd make my draft day. :D

I think all 4 of those guys you would love for them to trade up for are difference-maker type players, so I wouldn't have much of a problem with a trade-up for them (obviously depending on what it costs).

I think Kelvin Benjamin is a bit risky at 32, but that wouldn't be the end of the world. He does have some upside and his incredible size might be pretty awesome in our offense if he can develop.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to throw out any predictions. The Seahawks have been impossible to predict the past few years, I wouldn't rule anything out.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah Taylor Lewan and Zach Martin is off the board already.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OT are getting picked left and right.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So close, just a couple of picks away.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of the players I believe the Seahawks were targeting with that 1st pick will still be available with our 8th pick in the second.

For rounds 2 - 3, the time limit drops to 7 mins max to get your pick in so things will progress much faster tomorrow.

The draft starts at 4pm on Friday so with us picking 8th, we should have a pick taken around 4:30pm - 5pm and the 32nd pick later in the evening sometime around closer to 6pm or slightly later.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schneider explains the 1st round trade.

“We talked to probably five or six teams,” Schneider said Thursday night at the conclusion of the first round, which took 3 hours, 39 minutes. “Minnesota just stuck with it. They were just real persistent. So it worked out great.”

The Seahawks, who entered the draft with just six picks, now have two picks in Friday’s second round – No. 40 and No. 64. And Schneider is confident that the player the Seahawks get at No. 40 will be of equivalent value to the one they would have selected at No. 32.

“We have a number of players that were suitable for that pick at 32 that we feel will be suitable at 40 as well,” Schneider said.

“We were blessed. That’s exactly what we were hoping for,” Schneider said of turning one pick into two. “We were talking to a number of teams down there at the end. Minnesota stayed with it, so we did it with them.

“There were some good players there (at 32). But we had the opportunity to grab another pick, another player. We saw value in the trade.”

What’s next? With the eighth pick in the second round on Friday, the Seahawks could have a chance to select one of the top-rated guards – UCLA’s Xavier Su’a-Filo or Stanford’s David Yankey; or one of the top remaining tackles – Nevada’s Joel Bitonio and Alabama’s Cyrus Kouandjio; or one of the top-rated defensive lineman – Florida State tackle Timmy Jernigan, Minnesota tackle Ra’Shede Hageman, Missouri end Kony Ealy and Notre Dame end Stephon Tuitt. Or it could be a player at another position, like Indiana wide receiver Cody Latimer. But the player who is selected will be the top-rated player on their draft board.

Or they could trade back, again.

“There are several guys that we hope will be there tomorrow,” Schneider said. “But if somebody comes tomorrow with something that we can’t turn down we’ll look at that as well.”

Seahawks swap first-round draft choice to Vikings for two picks

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well two of the better OL got picked, so get ready guys, I think the Seahawks go best player available with their pick.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There goes Lee and the Hawks are moving down. Trade with Detroit

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Traded our 40th pick with the lions, but what did we get in return? Anybody have details?