• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Draft thread

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cut Zach Miller and Sydney Rice to save cap. Resign Thurmond at 2 years 4 mil and Golden Tate at a reasonable number. Cut Clemons or restructure and resign Bennett. Sign a veteran offensive lineman and then...

Draft ASJ!!!!!

Just kidding, I see Luke Willson becoming a good enough threat for us at Tight End position so unless he drops to the 2nd round I say we gotta go offensive lineman

Willson is not a good enough blocker and drops too many easy passes. Miller is excellent at blocking and a good receiver. His number drops a little bit this year too, so I dont really see a problem with keeping him.

And McCoy will be back too, he showed flashes last year and I think our offense would have been better had he not torn his achilles.

That being said, ASJ is too soft for this team.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK guys this is now our official draft/free agent thread.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Sick pretty much nailed almost every player I wanted the Niners to draft with his LIKES picks other then the S Buchanon. If we could go Roby in the 1st, Moncrief and Buchanon in the 2nd, and somehow get Easley in the 3rd, I would do freaking cartwheels.

Screamin, I disagree with your assessment of Yankey in terms of him being a good enough prospect to be drafted in the 1st or early 2nd round. I think he may be there at 64. I think he would certainly be an upgrade on what you have now at G, but that's not saying too much considering you guys have had a carrousel at that position for a couple years now.

I also think Matthews is better then Adams but not by much. I think Moncrief is better then both by a mile. Moncrief suffered by playing WR for Nutt at Ole Miss and I frankly think he is my steal of the draft. I am praying to the football gods that he falls to us in the 2nd because he looks to play so much faster then his 40 time will indicate. I don't know if he lasts to the end of the 2nd though.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden Tate willing to take hometown discount with Seahawks

Receiver Golden Tate is one of just a few key contributors of the Seattle Seahawks set to become an unrestricted free agent following the team’s victory in Super Bowl XLVIII.

Tate posted the best numbers of his career in nearly all categories in helping Seattle win their first championship. Tate caught 64 passes for 898 yards and five touchdowns for the Seahawks. He also had 51 punt returns for 585 yards on the season.

In an interview with Ian Furness and Jason Puckett of Sports Radio 950 KJR in Seattle on Tuesday:

“I probably shouldn’t even say this right now but I’m going to say it anyway just because I love Seattle, honestly, I would rather take a little less to be happy and win ball games than to take way more and go to a crappy city where the fans don’t give a crap about the team. You win a game once a month of something like that. I would much rather stay in the situation that I have now for a little less than to go and try to break the bank somewhere else."

“At the same time, I don’t want to be disrespected by any means,” Tate said. “I want to be able to take care of myself and my family for the rest of my life at the same time. We’ll see. That’s what I have my agent for. I plan to have some conversations with Pete (Carroll) and the G.M. (John Schneider) and hopefully we can work something out.”

Sounds good, but I've heard that music more than a few times, and then a player takes the max from a crappy organization. I think he honestly does want to stay here. Who wouldn't with the team currently in a multi-year superbowl and all the potential endorsement and extra benefits that come with playoff runs. We'll see.

FYI: His original rookie contract was = 4 years / 3.261 million with 1.471 million guaranteed.

The top WR FA contracts of 2013 for comparison was:

Dwayne Bowe, Chiefs ( 5 years, 56 mil, 11m guaranteed)
Mike Wallace, Dolphins ( 5 years at avg 12mil per year)
Greg Jennings, Vikings (5 years, 47.5 mil total, 18 mil guaranteed)
Wes Welker, Broncos (2 years with 12 mil for entire contract)
Danny Amendola, Pats (5 years, 31 mil total, 10 mil guaranteed)
Brian Hartline, Dolphins (5 years, 30.7 mil total, 12.5 mil guaranteed)

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sidney Rice likely will be cut by Seattle Seahawks, Zach Miller most likely asked to restructure or cut.

Sidney Rice's days in Seattle are numbered.

The Seahawks are likely to part ways with the high-priced wide receiver in order to create salary-cap space to retain key free agents, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Tuesday's "NFL Total Access," per a source familiar with the Seahawks' thinking.

Another option to create salary-cap room? Zach Miller. The team likely will approach the tight end with a request for Miller to take a pay cut, per Rapoport. The Seahawks would save $5 million under the cap if they cut Miller outright.

Some good inital analysis in the video on our contracts situation in this article. All seem to be in agreement that Earl Thomas will be the #1 priority to sign an extension. But Sherman extension and Bennett resign are critical as well.

Sidney Rice likely will be cut by Seattle Seahawks - NFL.com

Seahawksgal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden Tate willing to take hometown discount with Seahawks

“I probably shouldn’t even say this right now but I’m going to say it anyway just because I love Seattle, honestly, I would rather take a little less to be happy and win ball games than to take way more and go to a crappy city where the fans don’t give a crap about the team. You win a game once a month of something like that. I would much rather stay in the situation that I have now for a little less than to go and try to break the bank somewhere else."

“At the same time, I don’t want to be disrespected by any means,” Tate said. “I want to be able to take care of myself and my family for the rest of my life at the same time. We’ll see. That’s what I have my agent for. I plan to have some conversations with Pete (Carroll) and the G.M. (John Schneider) and hopefully we can work something out.”

Sounds good, but I've heard that music more than a few times, and then a player takes the max from a crappy organization. I think he honestly does want to stay here. Who wouldn't with the team currently in a multi-year superbowl and all the potential endorsement and extra benefits that come with playoff runs. We'll see.

I heard his interview yesterday and he did sound quite sincere, but like you said, we've heard this before. I just hope it can happen. Would love to keep as much of the core as we possibly can over the next few years.

One championship isn't enough. I want multiples.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See People! Some of you were talking shit about Tate and how he was a Diva and would demand top dollar at the start of the season and i said " Do not put words into Tates mouth, There is a difference between wanting to BE GREAT and thinking you ARE GREAT"

Some of you owe Tate some apologies lol.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See People! Some of you were talking shit about Tate and how he was a Diva and would demand top dollar at the start of the season and i said " Do not put words into Tates mouth, There is a difference between wanting to BE GREAT and thinking you ARE GREAT"

:rollseyes:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

KMM5j.gif

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com -- Michael Bennett deserves to get paid for a dominant season that ended in a Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl championship.

The defensive end, coming off a one-year, $5 million contract, won't be cheap, but is on the record saying he wants to remain in the Upper Northwest.

"I want to be back here 100 percent. I love the team, I love my teammates," Bennett said Wednesday, per the Everett Herald. "Pete (Carroll) does a great job of letting us play, so I want to be a part of that. I know we can go back and win a Super Bowl again with all these guys. It's a business, but I definitely want to be back."

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport said matter-of-factly on NFL Network's Super Bowl pregame show that the Seahawks would re-sign Bennett. The defensive end's comments back up that mutual belief.

The defensive end's brother, tight end Martellus Bennett, has publicly lobbied for Michael to join him with the Chicago Bears. Michael, however, prioritizes playing for Carroll over playing with his little brother.

"That doesn't matter much," Bennett said. "I know he wants me to come out there and get a chance to play with him, but I'm definitely a Seahawk and I definitely want to be here for the rest of my career."

The Seahawks benefitted from Russell Wilson's low contract number last season and have one more season until that number balloons. Contracts for Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman will also need to be addressed in the next 14 months.

At the end of the day, Bennett wants to stay in Seattle and the Seahawks want their premier pass rusher. However, when money starts talking there is always that chance that the glimmer of the Super Bowl trophy could be forgotten.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL combine is scheduled to occur Feb 19-24 in Indianapolis. 335 players have been invited with a record 85 underclassman included.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key dates heading into summertime:

Feb. 17: First day for clubs to designate franchise or transition Players.

Feb. 19-25: Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis

March 8-11: Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents upon the expiration of their 2013 player contracts at 4 p.m. ET on March 11. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4 p.m. ET on March 11.

March 11: New league year, free agency begins

March 11: Before 4 p.m. ET, clubs must exercise options for 2014 on all players who have option clauses in their 2013 contracts.

March 11: Before 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their restricted free agents with expiring contracts.

March 11: Before 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit a minimum salary tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2013 contracts and who have fewer than three accrued Seasons of free agency credit.

March 11: All clubs must be under the 2014 salary cap before 4 p.m. ET.

March 23-26: Owners meeting, Orlando, Fla.

April 7: Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2013 regular season may begin off-season workout programs.

April 21: Clubs with returning head coaches may begin off-season workout programs.

May 2: Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.

May 7: Deadline for prior club to exercise right of first refusal to restricted free agents.

May 8-10: NFL draft, New York, Radio City Music Hall. First round begins at 8 p.m. ET.

May 19-21: Spring meeting, Atlanta

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Tate is looking for a contract around 5-6 million a year. That's not bad and when you add in his ability on punt returns it's doable. Tate has proven a few things. That he will improve each and every year, That he is durable and resilient and will sacrifice his body for the team. He grew up from his antics ( thank god ) and finally is acting like a true leader. He also is another catalyst to this team, Someone they can feed off of like Lynch.

He had 64 rec and is one of Wilson's fav targets on a team ranked 31st in pass attempts ( 420 ). 23% of all passes went Tate's direction. His 14 YPC average was #2 on the team ( wrong he was #3 my bad ) and i believe his Yards after contact were #1 on the team for a WR. He just plays hard and you can not have enough of those type of guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a list of UFA for the Hawks coming into the 2014 season. I put a * on the ones i believe need to be resigned

PLAYER POS STATUS FROM TO AGE 2013 CAP HIT
*Michael Bennett DE UFA SEA TBD 28 $4,800,000
Breno Giacomini RT, T UFA SEA TBD 28 $4,750,000
Paul McQuistan LT, T UFA SEA TBD 30 $3,375,000
Chris Maragos S UFA SEA TBD 27 $955,000
O'Brien Schofield OLB, LB UFA SEA TBD 26 $900,000
*Golden Tate WR UFA SEA TBD 25 $880,000
Tarvaris Jackson QB UFA SEA TBD 30 $840,000
Brandon Browner CB UFA SEA TBD 29 $773,756
Kellen Davis TE UFA SEA TBD 28 $672,941
Anthony McCoy TE UFA SEA TBD 26 $656,212
*Steven Hauschka K UFA SEA TBD 28 $620,000
*Walter Thurmond CB UFA SEA TBD 26 $607,639
Tony McDaniel DT UFA SEA TBD 29 $605,000
Clinton McDonald DT UFA SEA TBD 27 $592,941
Michael Robinson FB UFA SEA TBD 31 $326,470

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I really hope you guys don't end up with a guy like Bradley Roby! This guy is a stud. He runs a 4.3 and has incredible instincts as a corner.

He's like a DRC with better instincts and ball skills.

:nod: If another NFC West team drafts him I'm going to go all Harbaugh & yell at the TV & spin in circles. The vein in my forehead might just explode...

Speaking of CBs, has anyone noticed the obscene depth at CB in this draft? CB & OT are ridiculous this year. If I had to guess I'd say Cyrus Kouandjio or Tiny Richardson is the starting RT for Seattle next year. :(

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Forgot to add Darqueze Dennard to my dislikes list. Think he's overrated. High floor though.

dumbrabbit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why you don't like Dennard. I have a high first impression on him. He really makes good INTs, the kind we need. He can also run for more yards after the INT. I'll have to look into him more but he can really succeed in Pete Carroll's system IMO.

Superdeluxe

Montlake
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013 is in the books 12ths.

Pete Carroll said team meetings will already start this week to start working on 2014. Going to be an interesting year as we've got looming decisions with FA, new contracts, restructured deals, and the draft.

NFL free agency period begins March 8 when agents of unrestricted FAs can start negotiation processes and March 11 is when deals can begin to get inked and clubs can submit offers to restricted FAs.

The NFL draft will be May 8-10th this year.

So here we go. Let's talk needs and wants. Anyone want to post mocks, go for it and tweak them leading up to the draft. Things can change greatly depending on what happens with the Seahawks in FA.

With the Seahawks winning the SB, our draft order by round for 2014 should look like:

1(32th)
2(64th)
No 3rd via the Percy Harvin deal
4(128th)

order of later round picks are not officially set till March.

What glaring initial needs I see. Maybe some of this gets figured out in FA, but still the first 3 are the ones I see as more critical of the bunch:

Oline G and RT
WR
TE
DE
CB

Try to trade down. Isn't there a rule that outside of the first 15-20, everyone in the next 30-40 are pretty much the same? Trade out of first. Maybe get a 3rd and a 4th (Not sure what the value scale is)

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Not sure why you don't like Dennard. I have a high first impression on him. He really makes good INTs, the kind we need. He can also run for more yards after the INT. I'll have to look into him more but he can really succeed in Pete Carroll's system IMO.

It's not that I don't like Dennard; it's that I think he's ranked too high. Most people have had him as the top CB on the board and a top 2o-or-so pick, and I just think that's too high. He's still a good prospect though, but so are a bunch of other CBs in this class (especially my favourite Bradley Roby).