• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Draft thread

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that I don't like Dennard; it's that I think he's ranked too high. Most people have had him as the top CB on the board and a top 2o-or-so pick, and I just think that's too high. He's still a good prospect though, but so are a bunch of other CBs in this class (especially my favourite Bradley Roby).

What exactly is it about Roby you like? I mean I get that he is aggressive, hard hitting, and has elite athleticism. His actually coverage skills though are very up and down to me. He is going to need some major coaching on technique. Now I know technique can be taught and his athleticism can't but just not as big of fan of him as some of you are I guess. I also question his maturity as he has been suspended and even kicked out of games.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What exactly is it about Roby you like? I mean I get that he is aggressive, hard hitting, and has elite athleticism. His actually coverage skills though are very up and down to me. He is going to need some major coaching on technique. Now I know technique can be taught and his athleticism can't but just not as big of fan of him as some of you are I guess. I also question his maturity as he has been suspended and even kicked out of games.

The maturity & technique things are the reason he's not going to be a top-5 pick.

You simply don't find CBs who are that fast, lightning-agile and aggressive (hard hitting too) very often. There's a reason the best cover CB of all time was possibly the fastest cover CB of all time (or close to it).

I would totally expect him to be up & down early on, but it'd be worth it IMO. I want him starting in SF next year opposite Antonio Cromartie (who it's looking like will be a cap casualty in NY).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The maturity & technique things are the reason he's not going to be a top-5 pick.

You simply don't find CBs who are that fast, lightning-agile and aggressive (hard hitting too) very often. There's a reason the best cover CB of all time was possibly the fastest cover CB of all time (or close to it).

I would totally expect him to be up & down early on, but it'd be worth it IMO. I want him starting in SF next year opposite Antonio Cromartie (who it's looking like will be a cap casualty in NY).

I somewhat understand that. I just think there have been plenty of guys who come in with amazing natural talent and elite athleticism. The red flags of immaturity usually are a sign that they struggle with actually listening to criticism from coaches and growing as a player. Heck he was under one of the better college coaches in the nation and in my opinion actually played better in 2012 than he did in 2013. You hope to see a big jump in ability during that span in college and him almost going backwards really makes me question how well he will handle the NFL.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I somewhat understand that. I just think there have been plenty of guys who come in with amazing natural talent and elite athleticism.

Not like Roby. There hasn't been a guy with his kind of natural skills since Patrick Peterson IMO.

coltonjg98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright guys, there's one guy I see on the draft board that I just can't look past, and that's Kelvin Benjamin. I saw some of you think he's overrated, I don't know why. He's fast, catches the ball high, is 6'5", can jump, has strong hands, picks apart zone coverages, and can obviously catch in the clutch, as we saw in the BCS National Championship. I don't know what's not too like about this guy. With all due respect, I see Calvin Johnson in this WR. I'm not saying he will be as good as Calvin, but has the potential to be, and at least has the same play style.

I don't see Kelvin being available when the Seahawks pick, but he will be in the 20-28 range. That's where I think we should trade up to. We have guys to trade that are expensive that other teams can handle, with still some left in the tank, such as Chris Clemons, Rice, Bryant, etc. We also have some other trade assets if those dont work. Remember we are the deepest team in the league. We have 4 great starting quality LBs, atleast 6 above average DLineman, and thats just getting started. Those are just examples. I'm not saying we should trade Malcom Smith (or anyone else of similar value) to move up 4-12 spots, I'd be stupid.

Kelvin is exactly what the 'hawks need, a big guy who is physical and goes up to the ball. Someone you can rely on for the jump ball, back endzone catches, and so on. I see a crazy duo of speedy Harvin and big Kelvin that would be a matchup NIGHTMARE for defenses. And they'd still have Kearse, and hopefully Tate and Baldwin to deal with! With a receiver of this type, I really don't see a weakness on the team, not like there was one standing out anyways, as Pete said. I think the Seahawks need to do what's necessary to get this guy.

Here's a little highlights video from last year if you haven't seen much of this guy already: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXWjWCzjEiA]Kelvin Benjamin || Florida State Highlights ?? - YouTube[/ame]

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FA kicks off this weekend. Here we go.

March 8-11: Clubs, after 9 a.m. PT on March 8th, are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents upon the expiration of their 2013 player contracts at 1 p.m. PT on March 11. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 1 p.m. PT on March 11
March 11: New league year, free agency begins

March 11: Before 1 p.m. PT, clubs must exercise options for 2014 on all players who have option clauses in their 2013 contracts.

March 11: Before 1 p.m. PT, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their restricted free agents with expiring contracts.

March 11: Before 1 p.m. PT, clubs must submit a minimum salary tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2013 contracts and who have fewer than three accrued Seasons of free agency credit.

March 11: All clubs must be under the 2014 salary cap before 1 p.m. PT.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some moves already made today.

--Among the keys in the Seahawks’ run to their first Super Bowl championship was the depth of the roster. Another was that the youth on that roster during the 2013 season.

Fourth-year safety Jeron Johnson and fifth-year offensive lineman Lemuel Jeanpierre fit into both categories, and the club announced Friday that each has been signed to a one-year contract extension. Both players were scheduled to become restricted free agents next week.

Jeanpierre, 26, started three games last season when Pro Bowl center Max Unger was injured. He also started five games in 2011, one at center for Unger and the final four at right guard after John Moffitt was injured.

Johnson, 25, was limited to seven games last season because of a hamstring issue that eventually forced him to be placed on injured reserve in December. But the 5-10, 212-pound Johnson had eight special-teams tackles in 2012, which tied for fourth on the club, and also returned a blocked punt for a touchdown.

On defense, Johnson is the backup to All-Pro strong safety Kam Chancellor, so his opportunities have been limited.

“You just make sure you stay ready,” Johnson has said of being the backup to a player who never backs down. “Those are big shoes to fill. If your number is called, you can’t have a drop off. You’ve got to try to play at a Pro Bowl level, because he does.”

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So who are your favourite prospects Sea-people? Here are mine (best bang for yer buck):

WR Donte Moncrief. He's been my draft crush all year.
DE / DT Stephon Tuitt. Could be the next Michael Bennett. Hope the Hawks don't draft him.
CBs EJ & Phillip Gaiines (no relation). Severely underrated CB prospects.
Dri Archer. Rare kick returner prospect who can help on offense in certain packages. Poor man's Percy Harvin; equally-wealthy man's Tavon Austin IMO.
DT / DE Dominique Easley. He's the Jim Harbaugh of DL only probably more polite. He's super manic. Works his ass off. EXACTLY the attitude a defense needs in the trenches.
OLB Ryan Shazier. He's a 4-3 guy, but he's the one OLB I could see playing SS.
OT / OG Brandon Thomas. Rated way too low IMO.
CBs Bradley Roby & Jason Verrett. Should both be 1st round picks; both great prospects IMO.
CB Jaylen Watkins. Probably a better prospect than his Gaytor counterparts.
Ronald Powell (more of a 3-4 OLB project, but then again I thought Bruce Irvin was too).

Sleeper possible UDFA: center James Stone from Tennessee. If he's not a figment of my imagination (which be may be because nobody on earth has acknowledged his existence), I think he could be a sleeper.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we got Baldwin wrapped up for 2014 season and doesn't look like he'll be starving anytime soon.

--Three years ago, the Seahawks signed wide receiver Doug Baldwin as an undrafted free agent.

Clearly, Seattle found itself a steal, a point that has been driven home time and again, perhaps never more than in the 2013 postseason, when Baldwin hauled in 13 passes for 202 yards and a touchdown for a Super Bowl-winning club.

On Friday, we were reminded again of Baldwin’s value. According to NFL writer Brian McIntyre, the Seahawks have given Baldwin a second-round tender as a restricted free agent. Teams interested in signing away Baldwin would have to surrender a second-round pick, and the Seahawks would have the right to match any offer.

The second-round tender is a one-year, $2.187-million contract for 2014.

Give the lack of action in restricted free agency in most years, it’s likely Baldwin — No. 74 on PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100 — will stay put in Seattle another season, and if he plays out his one-year deal, he could potentially test unrestricted free agency next March.

Last edited by a moderator:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TE Jermichael Finley will take FA visit to Seattle, per multiple reports.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Rang presents a list of 5 players who could be on Seattle's draft radar based on needs:

WR Allen Robinson, Penn State (34, 7): Receivers often take longer than most other positions to acclimate to the NFL and the Seahawks remain strong enough at the position to not expect too much from a rookie. During his tenure with the USC Trojans, Carroll frequently supplemented playmaking flankers and slot receivers with a monster split-end. The 6-foot-3, 220 pound Robinson is pro-ready, based on his growth in former Nittany Lions head coach Bill O'Brien's attack and boasts the size, leaping ability and catch radius to be a unique weapon in the red zone.

DE Demarcus Lawrence, Boise State (56, 6): The Seahawks released former starting LEO defensive end Chris Clemons and have Cliff Avril signed for just one more year. Lawrence, who led the Mountain West with 20.5 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks in 2013, is a gifted pass rusher just scratching the surface of his potential. The 6-foot-3, 251 pounder is earning some first-round buzz and might even be in play for Seattle at No. 32 overall if the Seahawks plan to keep 2012 first round pick Bruce Irvin at linebacker.

OT Ja'Wuan James, Tennessee (53, 8): Seattle received quality play from seventh round offensive tackle Michael Bowie a year ago and may feel confident that he'll take over for Giacomini. James, a four-year starter with the size (6-foot-6, 311) and athleticism to fit in nicely in Tom Cable's scheme, would make a lot of sense if still on the board with the final pick of the second round.

DE Josh Mauro, Stanford (133, 13): By re-signing Tony McDaniel, the Seahawks may have their replacement for Bryant at the five-technique position already on the roster. McDaniel has the size and strength to handle the double-teams that come with this role but the Seahawks may be looking for reinforcements, as well as the grit and toughness Bryant demonstrated in Seattle. At 6-foot-6, 280 pounds, Mauro isn't quite as big as McDaniel or Bryant but he's strong, tough and versatile after lining up virtually all over Stanford's three-man front.

OG Brandon Thomas, Clemson (225, 12): Thomas looked like a potential top 50 selection based on three quality seasons starting for the Tigers and a very impressive week of practice at the Senior Bowl but his draft stock took a massive hit when he tragically tore his ACL during a workout. The Seahawks showed a willingness to gamble on players with injury concerns a year ago, essentially giving "redshirt" seasons to former Alabama defensive tackle Jesse Williams and LSU cornerback Tharold Simon as they recovered from serious leg injuries of their own. With a deep enough roster to do the same in 2014, the Seahawks could turn Thomas' misfortune into yet another day three discovery.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5th round actually!

But I wouldn't mind picking this guy up in the later rounds.

Solid size (6'2 303), good speed (4.91 40 time), good athleticism, and really shoots the gaps. He has 7 career blocked kicks!

take him if he still there sir :D

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
...On second thought, Roby blew a .008 (on tenth the legal limit) and was released with no charges. It's a non-story.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks have announced the signings of LB O'Brien Schofield and CB A.J. Jefferson.

If Schofield makes the roster in 2014, he's added depth for DE / SAM for sure.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kiper and McShay ran a 3 round mock this week where they alternated making picks. McShay did odd numbers, Kiper even.

So for Seahawks, it ended up:

1(32) Kiper's pick: Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame

Kiper's Analysis: "The Seahawks won a Super Bowl as much with great rotational depth on the D-line as they did with the Legion of Boom. A versatile talent of this caliber at No. 32? Easy call."

2(64) Kiper's pick: Kevin Norwood (6'2"), WR, Alabama

Kiper's Analysis: "I added needed D-line depth in Round 1 with Tuitt, and Norwood is a great fit in Round 2. One thing Norwood does really well is find ways to get open after plays break down. That's a useful skill with Russell Wilson at QB."

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 of S.I.'s NFL analysts ran a 1st round mock this week:

For the Seahawks picking at 32th, it was:

Chris Burke and Doug Farrar called:

WR Kelvin Benjamin, Florida St.

"With Sidney Rice’s long injury history and Golden Tate’s departure to Detroit, the Seahawks are in clear need of a red-zone target who can dominate in the physical NFC West. Though Benjamin is still learning the NFL route tree, he’d be able to come in and win right away in the paint, taking Seattle’s red-zone offense to a new level."

Don Banks called:

TE Jace Amaro, Texas Tech

The Seahawks are in the enviable position of being able to sit back and make a desperation-free pick, knowing they have some needs at receiver, defensive line, offensive line and tight end that jive well with the names that remain on the board. While the re-signing of Sidney Rice helps offset the loss of Golden Tate to some degree, Seattle clearly needs more firepower in its passing game given Percy Harvin's injury history. At 6-5, with a skillset that's more receiver than tight end, Amaro could develop into a nightmare matchup for defenses in the NFC West, especially in the red zone. Russell Wilson and a target of that size and athleticism should be able to make beautiful music together.

At NFL.com:

Bucky Brooks:

OT Morgan Moses, Virginia

Charles Davis:

OG Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA

Daniel Jeremiah:

OG Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA

Brian Baldinger:

OT Morgan Moses, Virginia

CBSsports Mocks:

Rob Rang:

WR Marqise Lee, USC