• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Offseason Player Transaction Thread

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unless they trade Moreland and use Olt at first or in the OF, I have a strong feeling Olt will be traded. I mean he is already 24 years old and doesnt have any ML experience so it is time that he gets a full shot at being an everyday player and if we cant provide that for him now then he needs to be packaged in a trade to fill a bigger hole.

unless we're talking a David Price-type acquisition i don't see us trading Olt

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
problem is that we would either have to carry both Profar and Olt on the roster from the start or bring in at least 2 free agents (like DeRosa & Keppinger) on 1 year deals to cover the infield positions because hopefully we've seen the end of MY as a utility infielder.

Guys like Brandon Snyder and Alberto Gonzalez were of little use last year. a Few times that they did play the Rangers usually would lose that game. Meant the regulars had to play most everyday. They got tired and worn down. This with the fact that the Rangers having been in Back to Back WS coming into the season meant that they played more Baseball the Past couple of years then any team in Baseball. Young still has one more left on that Contract. Will be a Touchy subject next year. Will Face accept a lesser role with the Club?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys like Brandon Snyder and Alberto Gonzalez were of little use last year. a Few times that they did play the Rangers usually would lose that game. Meant the regulars had to play most everyday. They got tired and worn down. This with the fact that the Rangers having been in Back to Back WS coming into the season meant that they played more Baseball the Past couple of years then any team in Baseball. Young still has one more left on that Contract. Will be a Touchy subject next year. Will Face accept a lesser role with the Club?

Better question is will Wash accept a reduced role for FACE with the club?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that's why i mentioned players like DeRosa and Keppinger they are 2+ steps above Snyder & Gonzalez as backups or using Olt & Profar who are starters-in-waiting. MY will probably be used strictly as a DH in 2013 if we believe all the rumors about him having a reduced role

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's why i mentioned players like DeRosa and Keppinger they are 2+ steps above Snyder & Gonzalez as backups or using Olt & Profar who are starters-in-waiting. MY will probably be used strictly as a DH in 2013 if we believe all the rumors about him having a reduced role

Young does not need to be the primary dh in 2013.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
and then who plays RF? do you go with an outfield of Murphy, Gentry & Martin? and i don't think Cruz has the makeup to handle DHing

This is a real puzzle right now. Good Question? I have also heard rumors of BJ Upton being here next year or the rangers trying to trade to get Justin Upton. Was at a Game on a Saturday against the Twins this Past season where Cruz was the DH. had A Great Day. Had a Couple of Hits and 3 RBI's. Have to see how everything works out. This Shows the Rangers are at the Crossroads. The Roster is about to move away from the 2010 and 11 Back to Back Pennant Winners.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and then who plays RF? do you go with an outfield of Murphy, Gentry & Martin? and i don't think Cruz has the makeup to handle DHing

And MY does. Have you ever heard the definition of insanity? I believe the FO makes a move for an OF next year.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And MY does. Have you ever heard the definition of insanity? I believe the FO makes a move for an OF next year.

i agree that the FO will make a move for an OF'er this off-season to replace Hamilton but then moving Cruz to DH results in having to make 2 moves, that's a lot of money.

As much as you dislike MY on the team and knowing that you would eat his 16M last year salary or stick him with superglue to the far end of the bench, neither Nolan or JD is going to eat the salary or waste it by sticking him on the bench for the whole season so we are going to have to face the fact that MY will be on the team and will probably see at least 100-120 games at DH. about the only thing we can hope for is that we have seen the end of MY on the field as a position player (1st, 2nd, 3rd or SS)

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I honestly dont see him being with the Rangers much longer....

But Nelson Cruz will be with the Rangers this coming season at least. Unless He is part of a Trade Package. Daniels, Ryan, Wash and Company are going to sitting down in the next few Days to talk about all of this. Whatever happens it will be a Very Interesting off Season. Will be a lot of different options out there. Just getting started.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree that the FO will make a move for an OF'er this off-season to replace Hamilton but then moving Cruz to DH results in having to make 2 moves, that's a lot of money.

As much as you dislike MY on the team and knowing that you would eat his 16M last year salary or stick him with superglue to the far end of the bench, neither Nolan or JD is going to eat the salary or waste it by sticking him on the bench for the whole season so we are going to have to face the fact that MY will be on the team and will probably see at least 100-120 games at DH. about the only thing we can hope for is that we have seen the end of MY on the field as a position player (1st, 2nd, 3rd or SS)

The problem is that MY is about as bad at DHing as he is at fielding. You waste the contract by playing him. He needs about 150 AB's rather than games. I like the super glue idea.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The problem is that MY is about as bad at DHing as he is at fielding. You waste the contract by playing him. He needs about 150 AB's rather than games. I like the super glue idea.

I like the Super Glue Idea as well. But a Unhappy Young can be a Real Problem in the Clubhouse. Wash is going to have to sit down with Young and have a Long Discussion if the Rangers go this way. Respect what Face has done for this Franchise. But His Abilities are sadly diminished. Shouldn't be a Everyday Player anymore.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any chance they use MY as a part time player/new hitting coach? lol

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and you waste the money by sitting him. i agree that this last season his performance at the plate was a come down from the previous season and it was worse in the field but none of these options make sense for the Rangers: (1) cutting him and eating his last year at 16M; (2) putting him on the bench and only using him for about 40 games as your 150 AB's indicates; (3) trading him to some other team and eating 12-14M of his salary for cannon-fodder; or (4) supergluing him to the far end of the bench.

in each case the Rangers would basically be eating $16M and no team even the Yankees willing eats that much. we are just going to have to face reality that MY is going to be an active, reduced, but active member of the team next year

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and you waste the money by sitting him. i agree that this last season his performance at the plate was a come down from the previous season and it was worse in the field but none of these options make sense for the Rangers: (1) cutting him and eating his last year at 16M; (2) putting him on the bench and only using him for about 40 games as your 150 AB's indicates; (3) trading him to some other team and eating 12-14M of his salary for cannon-fodder; or (4) supergluing him to the far end of the bench.

in each case the Rangers would basically be eating $16M and no team even the Yankees willing eats that much. we are just going to have to face reality that MY is going to be an active, reduced, but active member of the team next year

The money is lost either way. It's the basic economic principle of sunk costs. If he's costing you wins and you've already lost the money it makes no sense to keep playing him just because you'll lose that money. You've already lost it and its costing you wins. You're better of discounting that cost and trying to replace those wins.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Super Glue Idea as well. But a Unhappy Young can be a Real Problem in the Clubhouse. Wash is going to have to sit down with Young and have a Long Discussion if the Rangers go this way. Respect what Face has done for this Franchise. But His Abilities are sadly diminished. Shouldn't be a Everyday Player anymore.

It's a problem as old as sports. Players get older and need to move over and let the younger guys or someone else move in. The problem is that sometimes the older guy can't see it and in MY's case I think he's locked in on 3,000 hits. It will be interesting to see how it's handled next year.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's a problem as old as sports. Players get older and need to move over and let the younger guys or someone else move in. The problem is that sometimes the older guy can't see it and in MY's case I think he's locked in on 3,000 hits. It will be interesting to see how it's handled next year.

Young isn't even at 2,500 Hits right now. With his declining abilities I don't see MY getting enough Playing Time to reach 3,000 Hits. After this Year His Contract is up. If Young wants to stay on the Club He will have to accept a reduced role. If He trys to move on Young will be Hard pressed to find a Club that is really interested in his services.