• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Offseason Player Transaction Thread

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess....is the quote listed below....

No doubt that Kinsler had a bad year defensively. I'm just curious as to how it was determined that Profar is much better defensively since if you blinked you would have missed any of his time in the field.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not discounting it. Just saying its not wise to state it as fact when he's really yet to be proven at the ML level.

well, lets look at it another way...Kinsler really didnt provide a contribution in any area that would make it risky to replace him in hopes of better production both offensively and defensively in order to try and improve the team, did he?.....they would not really be risking anything to try Profar at 2B in order to try to make this team better, he has similar pop and he should be at least as good defensively if not better. Obviously he doesnt have ML experience so its a little bit of a risk in that aspect, but again, there was no aspect of Kinsler's game this past year that makes him irreplaceable and it is reasonable to think that with Profar's skill set that he would have a good shot to put up AT LEAST the numbers Kinsler put up this year. Of course Profar will have some growing pains, but I would rather have him go through them sooner rather than later.....And I just dont see the point of trading Andrus when he does provide contributions that would be riskier to use a replacement for such as fielding, BA, and OBP. You would be putting in a guy who will be going through growing pains in at SS and then still having Kinsler who displayed poor defense this year so you are weakening the middle infield as a whole by keeping Kinsler instead of Andrus.

does that make sense? it makes sense in my head, but kind of hard to explain it in writing lol.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt that Kinsler had a bad year defensively. I'm just curious as to how it was determined that Profar is much better defensively since if you blinked you would have missed any of his time in the field.

obviously he has no ML experience to base it off of, but everything Ive read from scouts and analysts suggest that he has great range and great arm. Defense shouldnt decrease that much from the minors to the majors, a ball hit to you is still a ball hit to you just maybe a little harder.....so with the defense Kinsler showed this year, it is very reasonable to make a claim that Profar should provide better defense based on his skill set....again, no I cant use ML experience as a comparison, but we numerous scouts are saying the same things about Profar's skills its hard to deny it when it is their job to evaluate talent.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, lets look at it another way...Kinsler really didnt provide a contribution in any area that would make it risky to replace him in hopes of better production both offensively and defensively in order to try and improve the team, did he?.....they would not really be risking anything to try Profar at 2B in order to try to make this team better, he has similar pop and he should be at least as good defensively if not better. Obviously he doesnt have ML experience so its a little bit of a risk in that aspect, but again, there was no aspect of Kinsler's game this past year that makes him irreplaceable and it is reasonable to think that with Profar's skill set that he would have a good shot to put up AT LEAST the numbers Kinsler put up this year. Of course Profar will have some growing pains, but I would rather have him go through them sooner rather than later.....And I just dont see the point of trading Andrus when he does provide contributions that would be riskier to use a replacement for such as fielding, BA, and OBP. You would be putting in a guy who will be going through growing pains in at SS and then still having Kinsler who displayed poor defense this year so you are weakening the middle infield as a whole by keeping Kinsler instead of Andrus.

does that make sense? it makes sense in my head, but kind of hard to explain it in writing lol.

Except that we know what Kinsler has a tendency to produce and this was quite obviously a down year for him. There's no reason to think he wouldn't rebound next year. It's not wise to make decisions on a player based on one down year.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
obviously he has no ML experience to base it off of, but everything Ive read from scouts and analysts suggest that he has great range and great arm. Defense shouldnt decrease that much from the minors to the majors, a ball hit to you is still a ball hit to you just maybe a little harder.....so with the defense Kinsler showed this year, it is very reasonable to make a claim that Profar should provide better defense based on his skill set....again, no I cant use ML experience as a comparison, but we numerous scouts are saying the same things about Profar's skills its hard to deny it when it is their job to evaluate talent.

According to the Rangers, Profar will start the season at AAA. the only way i see him being with the Rangers at the beginning of the season is if the Rangers DO trade Elvis as has been rumored. that would necessitate playing him at SS and keeping Kinsler at 2B. and then bringing in someone like Keppinger or DeRosa to act as backup for SS and 2B

Last edited by a moderator:

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the Rangers, Profar will start the season at AAA. the only way i see him being with the Rangers at the beginning of the season is if the Rangers DO trade Elvis as has been rumored. that would necessitate playing him at SS and keeping Kinsler at 2B. and then bringing in someone like Keppinger or DeRosa to act as backup for SS and 2B

where did you see that?....and its also been said that they have no plans on trading Andrus, obviously that could change if the right deal comes about, but it seems like they want to keep him in their plans.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kinsler has great range and a good arm, too. There is no doubt that Profar is a talent, but he's only 19 and to assume that he can play better defense or worse yet, trading Kinsler based on Profar's scouting reports is flawed thinking.
How about seeing what he can do at the AAA level first while at the same time seeing if Boras is open to a contract extension (fat chance). If he's not and Profar does well at RR, then trade Elvis at the trade deadline?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where did you see that?....and its also been said that they have no plans on trading Andrus, obviously that could change if the right deal comes about, but it seems like they want to keep him in their plans.

read it in an article back in September it said that both Profar & Olt would start off 2013 in AAA. Rumors about a possible Andrus off-season trade have been bouncing around for a month or more. probably nothing to any of it

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jacoby Ellsbury’s future front and center - BostonHerald.com

Terrible trade idea IMO, but here it is:

--Trade Holland for a potential one year Boras rental? Pass

Agreed, but with what looks like Hamilton leaving maybe it's time to move Cruz out too. I wouldn't mind seeing an Ellsbury type over here along with maybe a Tori Hunter and Gentry out there. Three centerfielders and playing at the same time, why not? It works for these teams:

Angels: Trout, Bourjos and Hunter
A's : Cespedes, Crisp and Reddick

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but with what looks like Hamilton leaving maybe it's time to move Cruz out too. I wouldn't mind seeing an Ellsbury type over here along with maybe a Tori Hunter and Gentry out there. Three centerfielders and playing at the same time, why not? It works for these teams:

Angels: Trout, Bourjos and Hunter
A's : Cespedes, Crisp and Reddick

they have some thump your outfield doesn't

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinsler has great range and a good arm, too. There is no doubt that Profar is a talent, but he's only 19 and to assume that he can play better defense or worse yet, trading Kinsler based on Profar's scouting reports is flawed thinking.
How about seeing what he can do at the AAA level first while at the same time seeing if Boras is open to a contract extension (fat chance). If he's not and Profar does well at RR, then trade Elvis at the trade deadline?

You dont trade elvis at the deadline when contending. Only if you are out of it.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You dont trade elvis at the deadline when contending. Only if you are out of it.

You might if Profar is tearing up AAA and someone has the arm or power bat you need to make a push.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would if there is no movement on an extension and Profar looks ready to take the next step.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Kinsler like a lot of the Regulars got worn down a lot as the season went along. Hopefully next year Wash will use his Bench a little more give each regular at least one day off a week. Kinsler played in 156 Games this past season. Could have contributed to his off year. Made more errors this Year but still has Great range at Second Base. I look for a bounce back year from Ian next year.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kinsler like a lot of the Regulars got worn down a lot as the season went along. Hopefully next year Wash will use his Bench a little more give each regular at least one day off a week. Kinsler played in 156 Games this past season. Could have contributed to his off year. Made more errors this Year but still has Great range at Second Base. I look for a bounce back year from Ian next year.

problem is that we would either have to carry both Profar and Olt on the roster from the start or bring in at least 2 free agents (like DeRosa & Keppinger) on 1 year deals to cover the infield positions because hopefully we've seen the end of MY as a utility infielder.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
problem is that we would either have to carry both Profar and Olt on the roster from the start or bring in at least 2 free agents (like DeRosa & Keppinger) on 1 year deals to cover the infield positions because hopefully we've seen the end of MY as a utility infielder.

unless they trade Moreland and use Olt at first or in the OF, I have a strong feeling Olt will be traded. I mean he is already 24 years old and doesnt have any ML experience so it is time that he gets a full shot at being an everyday player and if we cant provide that for him now then he needs to be packaged in a trade to fill a bigger hole.