• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Offseason Player Transaction Thread

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From TR's piece: "Michael Young could receive some trade interest this winter from "a team in need of veteran leadership, as well as somebody who can play second base."

Veteran leadership that failed two years in a row? Not sure he's got anything to put on his CV about leadership ... unless it is about how he hogged a spot in the lineup every night and in return delivered a -2.4WAR.

As for "somebody who can play second base" ... I think an Alberto Gonzalez type would be cheaper and get you a higher WAR.

What lunatic team would want Young? TR is as self-serving as EG is when it comes to MY.

how can you say his veteran leadership failed two years in a row? they made it to the WS two years in a row!!!....no, they didnt pull off the championship win, but a lot of players wish they could have the opportunity to play in the WS....on top of the fact that MY is a great contributor in the community and provides a great example for teammates both on and off the field, I would say yeah, teams would be interested to trade for him for his veteran leadership....quit being so narrow minded.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not going defending any player on this team but is it fair to tag one player as the reason this team failed 3 years in a row? and did he hog a spot in the lineup or was he assigned a spot by the manager and being a ML player went out there and played? name any player that would go up to the manager and say "hey skip, i shouldn't be playing, take me out and put someone else in"

at your work, if there's someone else who can do your job, have you gone to your boss and said hey boss Joe can do my job better than me so maybe you should take me out and give it to him

Nobody is tagging MY as THE reason for this teams collapse this year. IMO wash deserves more blame for penciling him in the lineup every day when he was obviously hurting the team. The truth is he cost this team almost three wins this year and that turned out pretty important. Wash even acknowledged earlier in the season they might be up a couple more games if MY weren't playing every day, but went to the lazy "we're in first place" argument. Well those couple games ended up being pretty damn important.

Did josh contribute to the team's collapse down the stretch? Absolutely. Did Dempster? Yup. But none of those players were shown the ridiculous amount of loyalty MY was and none of them cost the rangers the same amount if wins. I don't hate MY. He was obviously trying his hardest and one of the few decent performers the last couple weeks. I blame wash for riding him so long among other things. I still say Wash needs to go. But we all know he's here for another year.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is tagging MY as THE reason for this teams collapse this year. IMO wash deserves more blame for penciling him in the lineup every day when he was obviously hurting the team. The truth is he cost this team almost three wins this year and that turned out pretty important. Wash even acknowledged earlier in the season they might be up a couple more games if MY weren't playing every day, but went to the lazy "we're in first place" argument. Well those couple games ended up being pretty damn important.

Did josh contribute to the team's collapse down the stretch? Absolutely. Did Dempster? Yup. But none of those players were shown the ridiculous amount of loyalty MY was and none of them cost the rangers the same amount if wins. I don't hate MY. He was obviously trying his hardest and one of the few decent performers the last couple weeks. I blame wash for riding him so long among other things. I still say Wash needs to go. But we all know he's here for another year.

and there's the point. Wash made a lot of bad decisions including playing MY too much (should have been reduced to maybe 100-120 games), allowed Hamilton to quit for 2 months but continued to run him out there, allowing Cruz to continue playing when it was apparent Cruz was just going thru the motions for weeks on end.

but as you said Wash is here for at least another year and we can expect that we see an abundance of dumb moves this next year by him. hopefully JD and Nolan make some moves to replace Hamilton & Napoli & Adams and also add at least 1 top-flight starter to complement Darvish, Harrison & Holland

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure. Would require the owners being willing to increase payroll about 12m for one player this year. They could try to dump some salary somewhere.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure. Would require the owners being willing to increase payroll about 12m for one player this year. They could try to dump some salary somewhere.

what are you talking about? Getting Greinke?

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what are you talking about? Getting Greinke?

Yes. A Grenkie-Darvish 1-2 combo would be nasty. Even a grenkie, darvish, harrison 1-3 would be one of the best if Darvish's last 9 starts was anything close to what hes going to be..

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

can you explain your reasoning?

right now we have 10 players under contract for a little over $84M...now we do have some guys with arbitration and others that still wont be eligible for arbitration yet so I m going to guesstimate around $16M for all of that, it makes $100M total....now we could offer Greinke a $20M/yr contract making our salary $120M for about a 20 man roster. Our salary was what, $127M this year? If we fill out the rest of the roster internally then its very reasonable that we wouldnt have to increase payroll.

But also, I believe our new TV deal kicks in this year so that gives us extra cash so why would increasing the payroll by $12M be a big deal to the point of needed to make trades to free up money? Just curious about your logic

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I read somewhere salary was already about 120m for next year.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can you explain your reasoning?

right now we have 10 players under contract for a little over $84M...now we do have some guys with arbitration and others that still wont be eligible for arbitration yet so I m going to guesstimate around $16M for all of that, it makes $100M total....now we could offer Greinke a $20M/yr contract making our salary $120M for about a 20 man roster. Our salary was what, $127M this year? If we fill out the rest of the roster internally then its very reasonable that we wouldnt have to increase payroll.

But also, I believe our new TV deal kicks in this year so that gives us extra cash so why would increasing the payroll by $12M be a big deal to the point of needed to make trades to free up money? Just curious about your logic

I think ownership will increase payroll if they really want to and they believe that it makes the team better.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think ownership will increase payroll if they really want to and they believe that it makes the team better.

I do too, I was just trying to figure out where his statement was coming from

If he saw somewhere that payroll for next year was $120M, if might have been based on speculating that they would resign Hamilton. These are the guaranteed contracts for next year:

Baseball Prospectus | Compensation | Baseball Prospectus

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So why doesn't TEX offer Napoli a multi-year deal ... year 1-$10m, year 2-$10m w/performance bump above $10mil based on yr 1 performance, and a year 3 that locks in the year 1 bump plus a year 2 performance bump that vests based on year 1 and 2 performance.

Offering him a qualifying offer of $13.5 doesn't make sense given his $9.4mil this season and his dismal performance.

Surely a less than "$13.5mil" qualifying offer if it is a multi-year deal would be more than enough to "qualify" and if he walks he's unlikely to get much more than that anyway. And ... it would be a multi-year deal. How does he turn that down?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
how can you say his veteran leadership failed two years in a row? they made it to the WS two years in a row!!!....no, they didnt pull off the championship win, but a lot of players wish they could have the opportunity to play in the WS....on top of the fact that MY is a great contributor in the community and provides a great example for teammates both on and off the field, I would say yeah, teams would be interested to trade for him for his veteran leadership....quit being so narrow minded.

MY is officially a spare ... literally and figuratively.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why doesn't TEX offer Napoli a multi-year deal ... year 1-$10m, year 2-$10m w/performance bump above $10mil based on yr 1 performance, and a year 3 that locks in the year 1 bump plus a year 2 performance bump that vests based on year 1 and 2 performance.

Offering him a qualifying offer of $13.5 doesn't make sense given his $9.4mil this season and his dismal performance.

Surely a less than "$13.5mil" qualifying offer if it is a multi-year deal would be more than enough to "qualify" and if he walks he's unlikely to get much more than that anyway. And ... it would be a multi-year deal. How does he turn that down?

huh?....a qualify offer is a 1-year offer only

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
huh?....a qualify offer is a 1-year offer only

Yea I know ... but Napoli isn't worth $13.5mil ... so offer him less in a multi-year deal less than that with a way for him to qualify for a higher locked in raise if he performs. If he doesn't take it ... the multi-year offer should qualify as a qualifying offer and the draft choices from anyone who does sign him.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I know ... but Napoli isn't worth $13.5mil ... so offer him less in a multi-year deal less than that with a way for him to qualify for a higher locked in raise if he performs. If he doesn't take it ... the multi-year offer should qualify as a qualifying offer and the draft choices from anyone who does sign him.

lol it doesnt work like that bro, its either a 1 year 13.5M qualifying offer or nothing and if its not offered then they dont get draft compensation

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not narrow-minded. You're just very naive if you think any team would be willing to pick up a ridiculous contract to acquire "veteran leadership" who can't field and has become a liability with the bat as well.

Guys with the 2nd lowest WAR in baseball and 10 HR-60 RBI capabilities as a DH don't get paid millions to be leaders in the clubhouse and the community. If so, Rusty Greer would still be playing.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not narrow-minded. You're just very naive if you think any team would be willing to pick up a ridiculous contract to acquire "veteran leadership" who can't field and has become a liability with the bat as well.

Guys with the 2nd lowest WAR in baseball and 10 HR-60 RBI capabilities as a DH don't get paid millions to be leaders in the clubhouse and the community. If so, Rusty Greer would still be playing.

Isn't that stat based on position played? So if someone acquired him for 2B, as a 2B'er his WAR would be different?

I read a rumor of Elvis for Justin Upton. I would be pissed if that ever came true.