• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Offseason Player Transaction Thread

Sam67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing Andrus, Olt, plus...

Kennedy is only 1 year removed from a 21-4 & 2.88 era. He's just starting his first of 3 Arb years. Cahill has 3 yrs left on his contract worth a total of 25MM.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in other news: The Cubs have acquired right-hander Barret Loux and a player to be named later from the Rangers in exchange for right-hander Jake Brigham, the Cubs announced.

that deal makes no sense, why would we re-acquire Brigham for a pitcher most perceive to be better and then throw in an extra player to boot? unless there is something physically wrong with loux

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that deal makes no sense, why would we re-acquire Brigham for a pitcher most perceive to be better and then throw in an extra player to boot? unless there is something physically wrong with loux

It's a good will trade so the cubs don't feel like they got screwed from the soto trade.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good will trade so the cubs don't feel like they got screwed from the soto trade.

We trade for a guy who hit .196 and we are worrying about the Cubs getting screwed? :confused2:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing Andrus, Olt, plus...

Kennedy is only 1 year removed from a 21-4 & 2.88 era. He's just starting his first of 3 Arb years. Cahill has 3 yrs left on his contract worth a total of 25MM.

Ian Kennedy pitched over his head that year, Cahill would be interesting b/c he's a groundball pitcher, but I don't give up Olt for either one

Cahill is a guy you get if you truly believe Darvish is your #1, otherwise it starts getting crowded at the back end of the rotation

Darvish, Cahill, Harrison, Holland, Ogando (Lewis if/when healthy)

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian Kennedy pitched over his head that year, Cahill would be interesting b/c he's a groundball pitcher, but I don't give up Olt for either one

Cahill is a guy you get if you truly believe Darvish is your #1, otherwise it starts getting crowded at the back end of the rotation

Darvish, Cahill, Harrison, Holland, Ogando (Lewis if/when healthy)

I'd be happy with that rotation.

Sam67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, not a bad rotation plus Upton in the deal. Sign LaRoche, get a couple catchers and build the bullpen. JD doesn't have anything on us. LOL

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still hoping we pull off a Greinke deal! We get that done and our rotation is set and we can focus on the offense!

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still hoping we pull off a Greinke deal! We get that done and our rotation is set and we can focus on the offense!

It would be nice, but if we spend that kind of money we tie our hands on what we can do to bring in offense. It's a give and take issue.

slugger82685

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your posts reek of knee jerk. Really? Feliz showed he can't be a starter after one year where he got hurt and had to have tommy John? Harrison actually got cy young votes and is a ground ball machine. You should read your posts before you click submit.

How does that reek of knee jerk? That is my opinion of our rotation....and yes Feliz is showing his arm cant handle being a starter, I dont see how that is such an extreme comment like you seem to be saying. In his MLB career so far, the first time we put him in the rotation he was put on the DL because of arm issues and moved back to the pen, then next time he had arm issues again and had to have TJ surgery and who knows how he will be coming back. So I think its a pretty fair comment to say that his arm is showing that it cant handle being a starter.....As for Harrison, I never said he was a bad pitcher, I just said I wasnt sold on him repeating for multiple years with the year he just had. I feel he is a #3 type pitcher, not a real #2 to complement Darvish....THAT IS MY OPINION and I think those are pretty fair statements.

It would be nice, but if we spend that kind of money we tie our hands on what we can do to bring in offense. It's a give and take issue.

What are you talking about? You act like we are some low market team that has no money to spend....if they really wanted to they could sign Greinke and still sign a guy like Upton, but thats not how they run their team by just signing top free agents. It has absolutely nothing to do with restrictions on money like you are suggesting........talk about reading posts before clicking submit.

Sam67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the last thing fans want to hear is money restrictions. After attendance records this past year nothing will kill it quicker than the fan base thinking the club is not "all in".

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact is that we're committed to at least a 110 million dollar budget, The owners have said they are committed to around a 120-130 dollar payroll, maybe potentially pushing it to 140 million if they right situation arises

Signing Greinke would immediately push them into the 130-135 million dollar range, without filling ANY other holes on the roster

Its not money restrictions or not being "all in," it smart spending, thinking about more than just this year

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact is that we're committed to at least a 110 million dollar budget, The owners have said they are committed to around a 120-130 dollar payroll, maybe potentially pushing it to 140 million if they right situation arises

Signing Greinke would immediately push them into the 130-135 million dollar range, without filling ANY other holes on the roster

Its not money restrictions or not being "all in," it smart spending, thinking about more than just this year

Exactly.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now I'm all for Greinke, but that means Cruz is probably gone to make room for the salary obligation (Nobody wants Michael Young), which opens up another hole on offense, and we probably wouldn't get much in return for Cruz (maybe a catcher, backup or starter and a couple low end prospects, maybe a reliever)

Leaving the needs as: Catcher, maybe backup catcher, 1 OF spot and 2 spots in the bullpen to fill on about 15 million dollars, doable, but certainly challenging

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the rumor is we bring back Soto after non-tendering him (4.3 million), for around 2-3 million, I'm certainly fine with that b/c Soto would be a solid backup based on what he did LAST YEAR, but a steal if he's healthy and comes close to some of his other seasons