• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Offseason Player Transaction Thread

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think with maybe a spec or 2.

I'd give up Andrus for someone like Price, maybe not for Shields.

No, but I'd give up Moreland for shields.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you they will not deal for Andrus, its not the way they operate, never has been

They don't trade for guys with escalating salaries

Price is the only thing they have I'd give up Profar for.

Sam67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you they will not deal for Andrus, its not the way they operate, never has been

They don't trade for guys with escalating salaries

Again, Andrus money is set for the 2 years. '13 is 4.8MM and '14 is 6.4MM. He's under contract. Price is the one whose money will be escalating.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, Andrus money is set for the 2 years. '13 is 4.8MM and '14 is 6.4MM. He's under contract. Price is the one whose money will be escalating.

4.8 to 6.4, thats still escalating, and only under control for 2 years, with no hopes of being resigned, they will look for a much better LONG-TERM return than that,

hence their usual mode of doing business, trade guys with soon to be escalating salaries for guys that will be under team control at a CHEAP price for MANY years

This is why they remain competitive year in and year out on a bare bones budget

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4.8 to 6.4, thats still escalating, and only under control for 2 years, with no hopes of being resigned, they will look for a much better LONG-TERM return than that,

hence their usual mode of doing business, trade guys with soon to be escalating salaries for guys that will be under team control at a CHEAP price for MANY years

This is why they remain competitive year in and year out on a bare bones budget

Price made 4.3MM this year and will probably go to 9 or 10 this year and 13-15 the next. That's escalating!!

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price made 4.3MM this year and will probably go to 9 or 10 this year and 13-15 the next. That's escalating!!

Price's salary is irrelevant, they already have him on the roster,

its what they're getting in return thats important and they just simply do not trade for players of Andrus' contract status

Sam67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price's salary is irrelevant, they already have him on the roster,

its what they're getting in return thats important and they just simply do not trade for players of Andrus' contract status

So when you say Price's money is irrelevent are you saying it won't be escalating over the next 2-3 years?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when you say Price's money is irrelevent are you saying it won't be escalating over the next 2-3 years?

Did those words ever show up on the screen? Its irrelevant b/c he's already on their team...

And I simply said they already have Price, they aren't going to swap out his payroll obligation for slightly better payroll obligation over basically the same amount of time

Its going to be a for a haul of prospects that they will have under control for several years at rock bottom prices

Have you ever even paid attention to how the Rays have operated over the years?

Sam67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well in '12 they had 7 players that made more than Elvis and 4 this coming year. I do understand how they do business and you're wrong to think Andrus is too much money for them to take on. Carlos Pena made 7MM last year for them and he's no where close to Elvis in talent.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well in '12 they had 7 players that made more than Elvis and 4 this coming year. I do understand how they do business and you're wrong to think Andrus is too much money for them to take on. Carlos Pena made 7MM last year for them and he's no where close to Elvis in talent.

Pena was a stopgap fix, they didn't trade anything to get him

This is an apples and oranges argument, you are talking about trading a pitcher they have for 3 more years for a SS they would only have for 2 more years, that makes no sense for them in their business model, if this was the Yankees it would be a different story, its not

And I never said Andrus was too much money for them to take on, I said it doesn't make sense for them to do it, not in the way they do business

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrus is gone in the next 2 years, there's your opening for Profar

agree but that's 2 years away. i would turn Andrus now and attempt to get someone like Price in return and get Profar in the mix now

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pena was a stopgap fix, they didn't trade anything to get him

This is an apples and oranges argument, you are talking about trading a pitcher they have for 3 more years for a SS they would only have for 2 more years, that makes no sense for them in their business model, if this was the Yankees it would be a different story, its not

And I never said Andrus was too much money for them to take on, I said it doesn't make sense for them to do it, not in the way they do business

well to the tightwad Tampa ownership this deal could make a whole lot of sense in that to keep Price they're looking at a 3 year expenditure of somewhere around 40M while dealing for Andrus, Moreland + maybe a Martin Perez & a couple of prospects makes the financial picture more palatable

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well to the tightwad Tampa ownership this deal could make a whole lot of sense in that to keep Price they're looking at a 3 year expenditure of somewhere around 40M while dealing for Andrus, Moreland + maybe a Martin Perez & a couple of prospects makes the financial picture more palatable

There's no way I give up ALL of that to Tampa to make it more financially palatable for them

And that tightwad ownership group gave many people the idea of HOW to run a franchise by drafting well and flipping good players for gobs of talent,

That's an EFFICIENTLY run franchise if anything, that actually uses free agency for what it should be used for, filling short-term holes

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said IN THE NEXT 2 years, that could be tomorrow or 2 years from now

i know that is what you meant but now is the optimum time to look to move Andrus. we know that it is highly unlikely that Texas will even attempt to re-sign him especially with Profar hanging in the background so make the move now and get the maximum return on him

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know that is what you meant but now is the optimum time to look to move Andrus. we know that it is highly unlikely that Texas will even attempt to re-sign him especially with Profar hanging in the background so make the move now and get the maximum return on him

Actually DURING the season to a team in a pennant race with a hole at SS would be the best time to move him, play off people's desperation and pennant fever

Plus that would allow Profar a little much needed seasoning at AAA at least for half a season

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually DURING the season to a team in a pennant race with a hole at SS would be the best time to move him, play off people's desperation and pennant fever

Plus that would allow Profar a little much needed seasoning at AAA at least for half a season

perhaps but teams in a pennant race needing a SS aren't going to give up front-line starters but are going to look to give up prospects in exchange for that SS, while now we could get that #1 starter or stud outfielder that we need

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
perhaps but teams in a pennant race needing a SS aren't going to give up front-line starters but are going to look to give up prospects in exchange for that SS, while now we could get that #1 starter or stud outfielder that we need

I hope you're not referring to Upton.