• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NFL Free agents

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
6 more days 'til the next Niners game, why not play a little armchair GM...

First of all, do you think Sopoaga will get the franchsie tag? If he doens't sign for 3-4 years, I'd tag him. He's worth it.

I think Goldson is gone. He should get a big deal, and I'd much rather keep Soap. Who replaced Goldson? Culliver maybe? If so, the Niners might need to draft another CB.

Are there FAs from any other team you might want? I'm having a hard time finding any who would be a good addition. Maybe Alan Branch; I've always liked him.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scenarios i do not like...

I hope Sop could resign with us at a fair deal.... he doesn't have the #s(im aware of) to back him top $ but his presence so valuable... I hope loyalty and commitment comes into play....

I think Goldson will be offered top money and we may be forced to not match. I'd take him but there are FS coming out of college that are pretty good IIRC plus the money may be needed to sign/extend Bowman.

FA additions? maybe Branch, Spencer, Definitely Goldson lol

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Spencer could get as much as Goldson, even though he's been hurt this season. I'd love to have him for less than starter's money though. The Niners need a situational pass rusher IMO.

At this point, I think Culliver has the best chances of being the starting FS next year.

I'd be tempted to go after Osi Umenyiora because the VaGiants are gonna have a tough time re-signing him. Probably WAY too much money though.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'd luv to get a backup pass rusher, someone to pick it up when Brooks or Smith are out. Osi was a consideration but I think I'm willing to pass and try someone younger, more hungrier you know. Would I be upset? no, I'd take Osi at a fair deal

Shooting Cully for the FS role eh?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Shooting Cully for the FS role eh?

That looks like the best option at this point. There'd be the problem of re-signing him if he's great at it, but at least the Niners would have a couple seasons left on his rookie deal.

There are, however, the safety class should be deep next April. Not huge on McDonald, but Xavier Rhodes could probably play FS. A few others too.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aubrayo Franklin was only offered a 1-year deal when he became a FA. I think Ice is also gonna be around the same age next year as well.

Not saying he'll sign for only 1 year, but it's not a given that he'll get a 3-4 year contract.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont see sop getting much in the way of offers. goldson will be way too expensive to tag and someone will give him the bucks after alex smith goes to disneyland.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
i dont see sop getting much in the way of offers.

I hope not. In fact, I'd try to work something out right now if I were Baalke.

I mean RIGHT now. Just before he's asleep but after he's a little sleepy.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya there's nothing at NT this year. i'm kinda hoping there's someone worth drafting at NT. still hoping a safety falls in the 1st round to replace goldson.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we can't go hard after Sop, we have to plan for 2014.

as it is, hard to find starting caliber CB's, so i wouldn't move Culliver to Safety. with all the passing offense nowadays, he isn't sitting much.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
how about carlos moving to safety? tackles very well and can play anywhere on the field. cully will be a pro-bowl corner soon enough and carlos is just going to get slower.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested to see what Grimes gets paid coming off his injury. He could wind up being a steal. Another player that interests me and he happens to be a FS is Jairus Byrd. A pass rushing dlineman of interest is Jason Jones.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That looks like the best option at this point. There'd be the problem of re-signing him if he's great at it, but at least the Niners would have a couple seasons left on his rookie deal.

There are, however, the safety class should be deep next April. Not huge on McDonald, but Xavier Rhodes could probably play FS. A few others too.

I like Clyde's boy Poyer - he seems to enjoy getting his nose dirty. "unfraid" and has descent ball skills. He looks like a rangy guy who would quickly develop the instincts in getting the right angles when tracking a player or ball. He's a descent corner by his own right, but he could be that much better as a ballhawking FS IMO.

Since we can't draft Eric Reid, I'd rather wait in the 2nd round to draft someone like Tyran Mathieu if he declares. He certainly can be that Troy Polamalu safety that we need.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You think Mathieu will declare?

I'm hearing he could be an UDFA if he does beacuse of gis issues. Don't know if that's true or not.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You think Mathieu will declare?

I'm hearing he could be an UDFA if he does beacuse of gis issues. Don't know if that's true or not.

Waaaaa :-O UDFA??!! I'd draft him in the 3rd round in a heartbeat. Not sure if he will declare at this point. I could understand we avoid him in the 1st round, and even the second round. But passing up on him in the 3rd round would be beyond idiotic.

We passed up on Jenkins this year because of bs issues, and now we have a chance to get a legitimate replacement for Goldson and people want to take the chance to let him slide b/c of similar bs issues. Jenkins was more of a red flag than Mathieu is IMO. Jenkins is a much, much better player though and brings more value to a team.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested to see what Grimes gets paid coming off his injury. He could wind up being a steal. Another player that interests me and he happens to be a FS is Jairus Byrd. A pass rushing dlineman of interest is Jason Jones.

He is my fav safety u see him all over the place in NE? And man handled Gronk for that fumble...

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Connor Barwin or Jarius Byrd for the right price. I would love to get Glen Dorsey. He shouldn't be too expensive since he's been off the radar for a while now.

I expect Duane Brown, Ryan Clady, and Jake Long to get deals done with their respective teams before the season ends. Otherwise they are great pick ups for somebody else.

Grimes is another intriguing option to me even though i like our DB's as they stand. Again, it depends on how much.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
how about carlos moving to safety? tackles very well and can play anywhere on the field. cully will be a pro-bowl corner soon enough and carlos is just going to get slower.

father time will eventually slow him down, but next year isn't the time. for me i'd still keep him at CB till he can't play it better than the next guy. at that point he's either is a good back-up or is let go.

he just got a big deal which makes it hard to keep him as a back-up, but don't want to "close the door" entirely. similar to Haralson, he's paid a lot for a back-up, but circumstances (short on LB's and breaking in Aldon at OLB) required we keep him another year.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Isn't he better in man situations than zone? He always seemed to me like a man coverage, safety deep kind of DB. (but I honestly don't know what I'm talking about.)

Well, he did play safety in college, so I think he could make the transition. Also, CBs rely on agility & acceleration, whereas top speed is more important for safeties. Culliver has amazing top speed. And he's a pound shy of Goldson & 2 inches shorter, so he has the size.

I could see Carlos making the transition, but only if Culliver AND Cox show that they're really coming along as CBs.