• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the Ravens aren't afraid to roll with two young players at the back end of their defense, we shouldn't be afraid either:

Jimmie Ward - DB - Huskies

Ravens secondary coach Steve Spagnuolo attended Northern Illinois' pro day to scout S Jimmie Ward, reports the Baltimore Sun.

Ward ran an unofficial 4.47 second 40-yard dash despite a small fracture in his foot that forced him out of February's combine. Ward will undergo surgery next week and will be healthy in time for the draft. The Ravens are reportedly on the prowl for a free safety because they intend to shift Matt Elam to his natural strong safety position. Ward would fit like a glove.
Source: Baltimore Sun

Mar 8 - 12:19 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow. This dude's stock is dropping like crazy:

Aaron Lynch - DL - Bulls

Draft insider Tony Pauline is being told that there are "major red-flags... coming out of the combine" on USF DE Aaron Lynch.

Pauline hasn't yet specified if the concerns are medical or character related, but this is disheartening news nonetheless. Lynch declared for the draft after his redshirt sophomore season with the Bulls. He missed the 2012 season after transferring from Notre Dame to South Florida and admitted in September to having an ego while playing for the Irish. This is a first-round physical talent who is likely to be available on the draft's third day. He could take off in the right scheme or wash out quickly.
Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

Mar 8 - 1:17 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Khalil Mack - LB - Bulls

A "handful of evaluators" prefer Buffalo OLB Khalil Mack to South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney, reports ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Mortensen mentions Mack's "skills, consistency and versatility" in the report. Mack isn't more skilled than Clowney, who is one of the freakiest athletes to enter the NFL in the past decade. But he does offer more consistency than the hot-and-cold former Gamecock, and he's certainly more versatile, with a diversified skill set that will allow him to line up all over the place to put him in the best position to sic the quarterback.
Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

Mar 8 - 12:37 PM

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This was supposed to be one of my sleeper picks. The secret is out. Now he'll go much higher than expected, too high for us to invest in:

Demarcus Lawrence - DL - Broncos

Boise State DE Demarcus Lawrence is "one of the most intriguing prospects I have watched on tape this offseason," wrote Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl.

"His biggest upside comes as a pass-rusher," wrote Weidl. "Lawrence has ideal length, above-average first step quickness, active hands and most important displays tremendous flexibility throughout his torso. This allows him to not only transition speed-to-power but also provides him the ability to bend the edge and finish at the top of his rush which is not often seen at the collegiate level." The draft expert believes the Bengals, Cardinals and Saints, teams in need of pass-rushing help from an outside linebacker, could pull the trigger on Day 2.
Source: ESPN Insider

Mar 8 - 1:57 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Wow. This dude's stock is dropping like crazy:

Aaron Lynch - DL - Bulls

Draft insider Tony Pauline is being told that there are "major red-flags... coming out of the combine" on USF DE Aaron Lynch.

Pauline hasn't yet specified if the concerns are medical or character related, but this is disheartening news nonetheless. Lynch declared for the draft after his redshirt sophomore season with the Bulls. He missed the 2012 season after transferring from Notre Dame to South Florida and admitted in September to having an ego while playing for the Irish. This is a first-round physical talent who is likely to be available on the draft's third day. He could take off in the right scheme or wash out quickly.
Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

Mar 8 - 1:17 PM

I'd say, "good" because the Niners might be able to pick him up as a 6th or 7th round project, but the team already has 4 OLBs on the roster. One would have to go to make room. Aldon isn't going anywhere; Lemonier isn't going anywhere. Skuta's a valuable, cheap piece to have. Brooks is expensive & has trade value, but are they really going to trade him? Doubtful.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Derek Carr - QB - Bulldogs

CBS Sports' Rob Rang believes the biggest winner coming out of the Combine interviews is Fresno State QB Derek Carr.

"He entered the week in Indianapolis with momentum after a strong performance on and off the field at the Senior Bowl and carried that over in meetings with teams, impressing scouts and coaches alike with his intelligence, humility and leadership," Rang wrote. Recently it's been reported that the Browns could have interest in drafting Carr with their No.26 pick. Rang added that "Given the buzz building around Carr, I'd be surprised if he made it past the Minnesota Vikings at No. 8." Our own Josh Norris has concerns with Carr's pocket movement and unbalanced base.
Source: CBS Sports

Mar 8 - 2:35 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think people are coming back to planet earth on the Bradley Roby situation. He's not going to be there at 30. :( People who had him in the 2nd round were absolutely looney IMO. It was a nice dream, but after Ohio State's pro' day most people agree he'll be a first rounder.

Oh well. Trade down Baalke!

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I bet they would:

Jadeveon Clowney - DL - Gamecocks

The Rams will be "ecstatic" if South Carolina edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney doesn't go No. 1 to the Texans, believes Scout Inc.'s Todd McShay.

McShay offers two reasons: "One, it would drive up the trade value for the No. 2 pick (at No. 6, the Falcons are one potential trade partner); and two, if the Rams don't get a trade offer that makes sense, they'll have the opportunity to take the best player in this draft and transform a good, young defense into an exceptional one." McShay acknowledges that St. Louis' DL is already "very good," but salivates at the idea of being able to move Robert Quinn inside on passing downs. "Greg Robinson is the [Rams'] pick if Clowney goes first," McShay predicts.

Mar 8 - 2:44 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Teddy Bridgewater - QB - Cardinals

Scout Inc.'s Todd McShay believes Jacksonville will take the top-ranked QB on their board if South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney isn't available.

Thusly, he slotted Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater to the Jags at No. 3 in his most recent mock draft, after Clowney went No. 2 to St. Louis. "I feel as though Bortles and Bridgewater are the two likeliest options, and with Bortles off the board [to Houston at No. 1] in this scenario, that means Bridgewater," wrote McShay. "He is the most NFL-ready and naturally accurate quarterback in this class, and he remains the top QB in our rankings."

Mar 8 - 3:00 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Mike Mayock lost me at his Khalil Mack comments so I think the guy has lost all perspective in this draft; but for what it's worth he thinks Jack Mewhort will go in the 2nd round.

He worked out at center at pro' day & apparently looked pretty good there. He's 6'7, so I think guard is more realistic for him; but who knows?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sammy Watkins - WR - Tigers

Scout Inc.'s Todd McShay believes the Raiders would like to trade back in the first round.

McShay thinks Oakland would snap up UFC's Blake Bortles or Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater if either fell to No. 5. If neither does, they'll begin to work the phones in an effort to plug multiple roster holes, according to the analyst, who mentions WR Mike Evans, CB Justin Gilbert or OT Zack Martin as possible targets if they're able to consummate a swap. "If the Raiders are stuck here, I think they'll take the best player available, and in this scenario that would be either Greg Robinson or Watkins," McShay wrote. "I'll go with Watkins, who would bring big-play ability and an elite skill set at the receiver position."

Mar 8 - 3:14 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Greg Robinson - T - Tigers

Auburn T Greg Robinson slots No. 6 to the Falcons in Scout Inc.'s Todd McShay's mock draft.

"Short of Clowney falling to them at No. 6, which isn't going to happen, this is the scenario that would make the Falcons decision-makers happiest," McShay wrote. "Robinson is one of the four elite prospects in this year's class (along with Clowney, Watkins and Buffalo's Khalil Mack), and he's the most dominating offensive lineman at the point of attack that I've ever evaluated. He also has tremendous athleticism for his size, giving him the ability to hold his own in pass protection right away and the potential to be an excellent pass blocker over time." Sitting at No. 6 without a QB need, Atlanta is in a great spot; a can't-miss prospect is destined to drop into their laps.

Mar 8 - 3:30 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brandin Cooks - WR - Beavers

Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks moved up from No. 17 to No. 15 on Mel Kiper's big board.

Cooks debuted on the Big Board at No. 17 last week, so his stock clearly continues to rise. And with good reason, as Kiper notes: "Cooks has been the star of the draft process, backing up a season in which he couldn't be covered. He destroyed the combine. The small but explosive receiver ran a blazing 4.33, but also dominated in the agility drills and showed a great vertical to go with pretty good strength for a player his size. In fact, he now looks like a slightly more athletic version of Tavon Austin, and Austin was a top-10 pick last year. Cooks won't go as high, but it's fair to say the combine numbers match the ridiculous productivity." The MMQB's Peter King made the same comparison earlier this week, calling Cooks a "more physical" Austin. Cooks is going to go higher than folks currently think.

Mar 8 - 3:52 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Just for fun:

How upset would you be if the Niners drafted Ryan Shazier at 30 and made him a strong safety?

Imagine this running at you over the middle:

Ryan_Shazier.jpg

I would throw both the ball and my wallet to the ground like Andy Samberg in that video. Only instead of throwing them with contempt it would be more like terror. :fear:

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sad thing is, he's better than Vance McDonald. A freaking 2nd rounder. Smh. Anyway, Lyerla is into heavy drugs. I want no part of him.

Colt Lyerla - TE - Ducks

After analyzing Oregon TE Colt Lyerla's media interviews at the Combine, CBS Sports' Rob Rang is not convinced Lyerla won't get into trouble again.

"I listened to every question and evaluated his verbal and non-verbal responses. I wish I could say that I am convinced Lyerla won't get into trouble again but I can't," Rang wrote. While Lyerla comes with his share of off-field issues, he does bring a ton of athleticism and speed (official 4.61 forty) to the table. At 6-foot-3 3/8 and 242 pounds, Lyerla brings the size that teams are looking for as well. At this point no one doubts Lyerla's talent level, but he'll have to show teams he's dedicated and mature enough to get drafted.
Source: CBS Sports

Mar 8 - 4:21 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this kid goes in the top 10:

Justin Gilbert - DB - Cowboys

According to NFL.com's Bucky Brooks Oklahoma State CB Justin Gilbert reminds him of Arizona Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson.

Brooks notes that Patrick Peterson's "ability to get his hands on the ball" and "tremendous awareness, ball skills, and instincts" remind him of Justin Gilbert. Brooks added that Gilbert, like Peterson, had a "knack and a feel for being around the ball." Brooks also liked Gilbert's ability to understand the routes that were about to come "while maintaining good vision on the quarterback." Gilbert led the Big 12 with six interceptions in 2013, and whether on kick returns or after interceptions, Gilbert showed great field vision and acceleration to take it to the house.
Source: NFL.com

Mar 8 - 5:32 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sammy Watkins - WR - Tigers

NFL.com's Gil Brandt believes Clemson WR Sammy Watkins solidified his position as a top five selection after his recent Pro Day.

"Kept all of his combine numbers and had an excellent workout. He’s an excellent route runner and has hands like a vacuum cleaner — he caught everything. Watkins solidified his position as a top-five player," Brandt wrote. Depending on which way the top of the board goes on draft day, Watkins could be the type of talent that teams could move up for, if he happens to slip out of the top 5. The Lions who currently sit at No.10, have been rumored to have a ton of interest in Watkins.

Mar 8 - 7:50 PM

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine this running at you over the middle:

Ryan_Shazier.jpg

I would throw both the ball and my wallet to the ground like Andy Samberg in that video. Only instead of throwing them with contempt it would be more like terror. :fear:

Pro day photo op...

shazier.jpg

Ryan Shazier blazes at OSU Pro Day | ProFootballTalk
Yes, a linebacker ran the 40 in 4.37 seconds. And he weighed 237 pounds, more than the scouts expected.

“I feel like I can gain 10 more pounds if I had to,” Shazier said, via Cleveland.com. “I feel good right now.”

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd say, "good" because the Niners might be able to pick him up as a 6th or 7th round project, but the team already has 4 OLBs on the roster. One would have to go to make room. Aldon isn't going anywhere; Lemonier isn't going anywhere. Skuta's a valuable, cheap piece to have. Brooks is expensive & has trade value, but are they really going to trade him? Doubtful.

Seems like the type of guy they could stick on the PS for a year or two to see if he can get his head straight.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jake Matthews - T - Aggies

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks agreed with a computer system that compared Texas A&M's Jake Matthews to two-time Pro Bowler Duane Brown.

In his most recent installment of "Man vs. Machine," Brooks' computer spit out Brown as a player with nearly identical measurements and testing numbers coming out of school. "The sixth-year veteran has been a standout performer for the Texans since entering the league, exhibiting exceptional technique and competitiveness on the edge," Brooks wrote. "With Matthews showing the same qualities during his time at Texas A&M, it's very likely that he will earn Pro Bowl honors very early in his career."

Mar 8 - 9:47 PM