• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A scout clocked Jimmie Ward with two 4.47 forties at his pro day. He did not run at the combine. He should be a player of interest to the 49ers.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the official times:

Jimmie Ward - DB - Player

Northern Illinois S Jimmie Ward clocked forty times of 4.46 and 4.51 at the Huskies' Pro Day.
Ward did not participate at the Combine due to a foot injury, which has since apparently healed. Despite standing just 5-foot-10 3/4 and 193 pounds, Ward is a big hitter with plenty of straight-line speed. He's got a chance to be a late first-round pick. Ward is a favorite of Rotoworld draft guru Josh Norris.
Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter
Mar 7 - 1:31 PM

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno is much stronger IMO:

Aaron Donald - DL - Panthers

NFL Films' Greg Cosell compared Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald to Bengals DT Geno Atkins.

"He's a quick, penetrating, gap player," said Cosell, who cautioned that teams need to understand what Donald can and can't bring to the table before they draft him. "He's not a guy that's going to take on double teams," Cosell said. Although Donald's frame won't allow for that, he's a pocket collapsing DT. He is also NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock's top-ranked DT prospect.
Source: Stationcaster

Mar 6 - 7:56 PM
Donald is quicker. He is the perfect DT in a 4-3 if you have someone huge taking on double teams right next to him. The question is going to be whether or not Donald is strong enough to at least be serviceable in the run game on 1st and 2nd down. Usually 4-3 teams bring in a 3rd DE in today's game (William Hayes for the Rams) on obvious passing downs. Donald could be that guy on every down as long as he could at least hold up ok in the run game.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Seeing talk about Davis being replaced makes me wonder, and I'm being serious here and unmocking, when would you trade Davis, Sickness? Has his peak or sufficient value passed, still pretty good deal-salvageable? Wait a year or two? Or too valuable for a normal trade? As you say, everyone (at least almost) is trade able if the compensation is high enough. I'm just talking about normal compensation, whatever that may be.

Well Vernon's only signed through 2015, so I doubt he'd garner very much in a trade. I think it would probably make the most sense to let him play out his current contract & have exclusive rights to work out a new contract after the 2015 season (before free agency starts). He'd be 32, so he wouldn't get obscene money at that point.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Updating a previous item, Northern Illinois S Jimmie Ward will indeed undergo surgery to repair his foot injury that was discovered at the Combine.
The surgery will repair a stress fracture and carries a 6-8 month recovery process. Ward is expected to be ready in advance of training camp, and perhaps even May's draft. Ward ran 4.46 and 4.51 forty times on the foot during NIU's Friday Pro Day. Ward is expected to be a top-50 overall draft pick.
Source: Brad Biggs on Twitter
Mar 7 - 4:02 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Updating a previous item, Northern Illinois S Jimmie Ward will indeed undergo surgery to repair his foot injury that was discovered at the Combine.
The surgery will repair a stress fracture and carries a 6-8 month recovery process. Ward is expected to be ready in advance of training camp, and perhaps even May's draft. Ward ran 4.46 and 4.51 forty times on the foot during NIU's Friday Pro Day. Ward is expected to be a top-50 overall draft pick.
Source: Brad Biggs on Twitter
Mar 7 - 4:02 PM

Pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Chris Culliver
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 199
Arm Length: 31¼"
Hand Size: 8⅝"
10 Yard Dash: 1.50
40 Yard Dash: 4.36
Vertical Jump: 38½"
Broad Jump: 10'03"
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.08

Sickness' fave CB for 2014
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 194
Arm Length: 31½"
Hand Size: 10¼"
10 Yard Dash: 1.47
40 Yard Dash: 4.39
Vertical Jump: 38½"
Broad Jump: 10'03"
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.04

In addition these guys are both bad in coverage too.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ryan Shazier ran 4.36 at Ohio State's pro' day, which means he probably would've ran 4.55 at the combine.

Hope this pushes him into the 1st round.

...speaking of Shazier, he's the only LB in NCAA I thought could possibly play strong safety at a high level; but that seems like it'd be a waste because he's such a good LB.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kevin Pierre-Louis - LB - Eagles

NFL.com's Charles Davis believes Boston College LB Kevin Pierre-Louis will be one of the draft's sleepers due to his size.

Pierre-Louis' ridiculous combine included the fastest 40-yard dash amongst linebackers (4.51 seconds). He also tied for third in the bench press (28), finished third in the vertical jump (39), tied for second in the broad jump (10-8) and placed second in the 20-yard shuttle (4.02). "He's not just a workout warrior -- he was very productive in college, but lacks ideal size (6-0, 232) and is not a name people hear very often. I'd keep an eye out for him, though," wrote Davis. Pierre-Louis is projected to go undrafted, though his combine performance may earn a Day 3 selection.
Source: NFL.com

Mar 7 - 9:35 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Stanley Jean-Baptiste ran 4.45 at his pro' day, so that's probably the same thing as a 4.6 at the combine.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What and why is the discount for pro day 40s versus Combine 40s? Is it official timing? Is it the pressure? Is the fact that you're doing a lot of different drills and you get more tired in the Combine? I'm sure it'll be obvious once it's told to me, but I can't see why it's such a big difference.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What and why is the discount for pro day 40s versus Combine 40s? Is it official timing? Is it the pressure? Is the fact that you're doing a lot of different drills and you get more tired in the Combine? I'm sure it'll be obvious once it's told to me, but I can't see why it's such a big difference.

My guess is that timing a player by hand means reaction time pressing the start button. At the combine the clock is electronically started at the first movement. But like I said, that's just a guess. If you look at all the unofficial times at the combine they're almost all faster than the official times.

Ohio State pro' day times are notoriously fast.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The more I think about it the less I want the Niners to spend a high pick on a CB or WR. They need to go the FA route for a starter.

The CB class is crazy deep. They could probably pick up some solid prospects in the 5th round. I love Bradley Roby & Jason Verrett, but I think Stephon Tuitt is more valuable & will be picked later. I love Brandin Cooks & Jordan Matthews, but I think Moncrief could be just as good & will be picked later. And there are 2 positions that I think rookies could possibly improve from day 1: KR and C. FS doesn't count 'cause there is no starter right now.

These are all reasons I hope the team trades down. Get future pick(s)!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Just for fun:

How upset would you be if the Niners drafted Ryan Shazier at 30 and made him a strong safety?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as upset as I was at Singletary for forcing us to pick Taylor Mays.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Khalil Mack - LB - Bulls

A "handful of evaluators" prefer Buffalo OLB Khalil Mack to South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney, reports ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Mortensen mentions Mack's "skills, consistency and versatility" in the report. Mack isn't more skilled than Clowney, who is one of the freakiest athletes to enter the NFL in the past decade. But he does offer more consistency than the hot-and-cold former Gamecock, and he's certainly more versatile, with a diversified skill set that will allow him to line up all over the place to put him in the best position to sic the quarterback.
Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

Mar 8 - 12:37 PM