• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Derek Carr - QB - Bulldogs

Former NFL executive Greg Gabriel has heard that multiple NFL teams are "very quietly getting excited" about Fresno State QB Derek Carr.

Per Gabriel, Carr produced "strong interviews" during the Combine. This is not a surprise, as many have frequently stated how personable Carr is with coaches and teammates. He consistently stayed late during Senior Bowl practices to build a connection with his wide receivers. Carr's biggest issue is his tendency to throw from an unbalanced base, leading to inaccuracy.
Source: Greg Gabriel on Twitter

Feb 28 - 10:25 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Huskies

CBS Sports' Rob Rang reports that Washington TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins underwent surgery to stabilize a stress fracture in his left foot.

"After a consultation with agents, Todd France and Brian Ayrault of Five Star Athlete Management and family, Seferian-Jenkins opted for surgery to repair the issue," Rang wrote on Friday. The expected recovery for Seferian-Jenkins is approximately eight weeks, which most likely means he won't be participating in Washington's Pro Day on April 2nd.
Source: CBS Sports

Feb 28 - 11:04 PM

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally Mel. You've come to your senses.

Brandin Cooks - WR - Beavers

Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks debuted in Mel Kiper's big board at No. 17 overall.

"He now looks like an oh so slightly more athletic version of Tavon Austin, and Austin was a top-10 pick last year," Kiper writes. "Cooks won't go as high, but it's fair to say the combine numbers match the ridiculous productivity." The Beaver is a different type of receiver than many in this class, displaying the ability to win with quickness outside or in the slot.
Source: ESPN

Feb 28 - 11:56 AM

Still hoping that we target Cooks and even trade up for him if necessary. I doubt we'll get him but it is a pipe dream of mine.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
A new mock on NFL.com by Daniel Jerimiah. Has the Niners taking Irish Chocolate at 30. Not bad.

2014 NFL Mock Drafts : Mock draft 3.0: QBs have slight drop

He has Roby going 20th. :( Are people coming to their senses with him? I hope not.

At least Tuitt isn't even in the first round in his mock. That's nice.

If the Niners can somehow get Roby, Tuitt & Moncrief (maybe even Easley) in their first 3 or 4 picks it would be a dream draft for me. I'd like it even more than last year, and I was happy as a little girl last year.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A new mock on NFL.com by Daniel Jerimiah. Has the Niners taking Irish Chocolate at 30. Not bad.

He has Roby going 20th. :( Are people coming to their senses with him? I hope not.

If the Niners can somehow get Roby, Tuitt & Moncrief (maybe even Easley) in their first 3 or 4 picks it would be a dream draft for me. I'd like it even more than last year, and I was happy as a little girl last year.

I wont wake you up then... though I did see a draft that had Moncrief going at the end of the first, #32.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I did see a draft that had Moncrief going at the end of the first, #32.

Excuse me for a second.

...Ok I feel better. That's quite unfortunate. I was rather looking forward to the Niners getting him late in the draft all year.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

If we decided to take that route in the first I would be okay with that pick (Nix @ 30). However, I highly doubt that we will pick that low in the first round. Just like in 2013, I believe that we will be picking in the teens when it's all said and done with.

Just for the sake of fun, let's say that the draft plays itself out that way, it would be a crime for us not to do everything in our power to move up to pick #33 to select Jordan Matthews. 3rd and 4th rounds we could look for a corner, an ILB, and another corner/safety.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kelvin Benjamin - WR - Seminoles

Four of the 49ers' 2013 draft picks had arms 34-inches or longer, according to the Sacramento Bee.

Add on first-round pick Eric Reid's 33 5/8-inch arms, the longest if all safeties at the Combine, and some might say a trend is forming. With the need at wide receiver, mammoth Florida State Seminole Kelvin Benjamin could be in play for the 49ers, potentially even in a trade up.
Source: The Sacramento Bee

Mar 1 - 9:43 AM

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Four of the 49ers' 2013 draft picks had arms 34-inches or longer, according to the Sacramento Bee.

Add on first-round pick Eric Reid's 33 5/8-inch arms, the longest if all safeties at the Combine, and some might say a trend is forming. With the need at wide receiver, mammoth Florida State Seminole Kelvin Benjamin could be in play for the 49ers, potentially even in a trade up.
Source: The Sacramento Bee

Mar 1 - 9:43 AM

The guy had a pathetic combine for a WR, he's just a receiving TE

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The guy had a pathetic combine for a WR, he's just a receiving TE

I didn't realize just how bad his combine was. The 40 isn't a huge concern given his size, but his vertical was poor, too. And his times in the shuttle and three-cone are toward the bottom of the list as well. If the numbers I'm looking at are correct, he tied for the worst three-cone, had the third-worst shuttle, and sixth-worst vertical. Those numbers are concerning for a prospective first rounder.

Wasn't he saying he was going to run in the 4.3s?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Speaking of WRs who did themselves no favors at the combine, I'm not sure I realized just how awful Landry's combine was. Saw this headline:

Slow 40 time might not hurt Jarvis Landry in draft | Sports | The Advocate ? Baton Rouge, LA

And had to think, "No, his 40 won't hurt him all that much. His height, 40, bench, vertical, and broad jumps will hurt him." I don't see how you could justify taking him in the first three rounds now, thought i have read that he tweaked his hamstring, so maybe these numbers are not indicative of his true ability. He'll have to show marked improvement at his pro day, and excel in the shuttle and three-cone to even get back into second round conversations IMO.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Speaking of WRs who did themselves no favors at the combine, I'm not sure I realized just how awful Landry's combine was. Saw this headline:

Slow 40 time might not hurt Jarvis Landry in draft | Sports | The Advocate ? Baton Rouge, LA

And had to think, "No, his 40 won't hurt him all that much. His height, 40, bench, vertical, and broad jumps will hurt him." I don't see how you could justify taking him in the first three rounds now, thought i have read that he tweaked his hamstring, so maybe these numbers are not indicative of his true ability. He'll have to show marked improvement at his pro day, and excel in the shuttle and three-cone to even get back into second round conversations IMO.

I suspect it had to be the hamstring/calf injury rumors. If his numbers don't improve vastly at his pro day, I still would have him over Odell Beckham.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay believes the 2014 RB class is full of red flags.

The running back group, "unlike the rest of the (draft)- is short on talent and long on police and medical reports. Red flags everywhere," McShay tweeted. Four of the top prospects with off-field questions include Carlos Hyde (suspension), Ka'Deem Carey (suspension), Jeremy Hill (suspension) and Isaiah Crowell (dismissal). Keep in mind that all "red flags" are not created equal, and there are different levels of character questions. Also, we do not have information on every prospect, just the ones that are leaked or previously reported.
Source: Todd McShay on Twitter

Mar 1 - 11:49 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Johnny Manziel - QB - Aggies

One NFL scout believes Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel is already a better passer than Russell Wilson.

"Hit or miss? What the hell are they talking about?" the scout told Bob McGinn. "He's a better passer than the guy (Russell Wilson) who won the Super Bowl, and he's got a better arm. Here comes the pressure, a guy breaks open and he finds the receiver. Does he have a gun? No. But he doesn't have a bad arm at all." The two are extremely different quarterback prospects, as Wilson did not improvise as often in college and is much more of an explosive mover when climbing the pocket. Manziel's pocket movement is his gift and his curse.
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Mar 1 - 12:06 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jadeveon Clowney - DL - Gamecocks

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn spoke with one NFL scout who believes South Carolina edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney's physical talent is being overblown.

"I would not put my job on the line for that guy," the scout said. "Who has a profile like that that's been successful in the NFL?... At what point in his life has he had to push himself?" This quote was printed prior to the NFL Combine, so we wonder if the evaluator has changed his tune. It seems the NFL scout is hung up on the "lazy" label Clowney has received, but prospects like Carlos Dunlap overcame similar tags, albeit not in the first round.

Mar 1 - 1:34 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anthony Barr - LB - Bruins

One NFL scout believes UCLA edge player Anthony Barr will be overdrafted.

"Looks the part athletically but is not a football player at this point," the scout told Bob McGinn. "More developmental. He'll get overdrafted." Another scout said that Barr will be a top-10 pick despite lacking toughness on a consistent basis.

Mar 1 - 2:06 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin will be selected between the No. 12 and 20 picks, according to one NFL scout.

"He really came on the scene this year. He can extend to make a lot of grabs. His route-running is raw," the scout added. Measuring in at 6'5/240 pounds with nearly 35-inch arms has led some to call Benjamin a "rare" prospect, but his drop rate in uncontested situations could lead some to reconsider.

Mar 1 - 2:22 PM

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd be upset with Roby and Tuitt with the first two picks.