• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was amazed when I saw some people had excluded this kid from their top 5 WR rankings (thread) we had for ourselves the other day:

Odell Beckham Jr. - WR - Tigers

LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr. is going to be a "star in the NFL; fast," according to CBS Sports' Bruce Feldman.

"I spoke to several NFL personnel folks who came away loving LSU WR/KR Odell Beckham Jr.," wrote Feldman. "I've been on the Beckham bandwagon for a while, and he promptly tore it up in Indy, running 4.4 and displaying magnificent hands and quickness in the on-field drills." Beckham Jr. also posted an unofficial forty time of 4.31 and a 10-yard split of 1.50 seconds. "Beckham's stock seems to be soaring," added Feldman. Rotoworld ranks him as the draft's No. 19 overall prospect.
Source: CBS Sports

Feb 27 - 7:31 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brandin Cooks - WR - Beavers

NFL.com's Gil Brandt mentioned that Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks' 60-yd shuttle time (10.72) is the all-time combine record.

"Brandin Cooks says he was told his 10.72-sec 60-yd shuttle is alltime combine record. 1 of 2 players under 11 secs (Damian Copeland other)," Brandt tweeted. In 2012 Cooks also set the Oregon State record with a 6.81 second 60-meter dash. At the Combine he also took home $100,000 from Adidas, who gave the fastest (4.33 forty) athlete wearing there footwear a cash prize. Rotoworld's Josh Norris loves Cook's explosiveness and his ability to win at every level of the field, he currently sits at No.25 on his Top 50 board.
Source: Gil Brandt on Twitter

Feb 27 - 1:32 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Everything in this post is true except the bold. Stretch Armstrong arms? Is this guy kidding? 32 5/8 is below average for D-lineman arm length. Where do people come up with this stuff?

I agree. I said the same.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Steelers' GM Colbert: This is most immature draft class I've seen - NFL.com

The topic of immaturity is one of the most underreported and one of the last things many fans think of when they discuss a draft class. It's a subject that fascinates me as many of you may have seen. The number of immature kids I've seen going from the college to the pro game for many years now is ridiculous. It drives me crazy honestly. I just can't find myself to root for a high percentage of these kids these days and it's becoming more and more rare to find a true good one IMO.

One of the few who doesn't fall into that category:

Jordan Matthews - WR - Commodores

NFL.com's Gil Brandt considers Vanderbilt WR Jordan Matthews to be one of the hardest working prospects out there.

"Everyone was worried about his speed, and some wonder whether he's going to be just a possession receiver," Brandt writes. "What I know about Matthews is that he's one of the hardest-working prospects out there. He's the guy who, whenever he stops playing football, will be a hugely successful person, whether it's as a politician or a banker or an entrepreneur. He's a really special guy." Matthews has the ideal size (6-foot-3, 209 pounds)and speed (4.46 at Combine) that coaches are looking for at the next level, but his mental make-up is something that will only help his stock moving forward. Matthews is projected to go in the second-round of the draft.
Source: NFL.com

Feb 27 - 12:55 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Darqueze Dennard - DB - Spartans

Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard ranks as CBS Sports NFL analyst Pete Prsico's No. 7 overall prospect.

"He is the top corner in a class that features some good ones. He has good size and played a ton of man at Michigan State," Prisco writes. From a Combine perspective, Dennard measured in at 5'11/199 pounds, 30 1/4-inch arms and ran a 4.42. The Michigan State Spartan is well known for taking advantage of the absence of an illegal contact rule at the college level.
Source: CBS Sports

Feb 27 - 10:04 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Johnny Manziel - QB - Aggies

Former Oklahoma head coach Barry Switzer called Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel "a little prick."

The comment stemmed from Switzer stating he does not like Manziel's "antics." The legendary head coach then added some glowing statements regarding Manziel, saying "I've compared Manziel to Michael Jordan and Oscar Robertson. He takes over a game like those guys did." Switzer believes the Rams should select Manziel with the second pick, if he is still there.
Source: Tim McKernan on Twitter

Feb 27 - 11:24 AM

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Any chance we can get four or five first round picks and just take all these guys?

It works in Madden...

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm pretty disappointed by the numbers the CBs put up at the combine.

Dennard's short arms
Bashaud Breeland compressed to a meager 5'11 when I thought he was 6'1
Purifoy's slow everything

The only players that really did well that I have high expectations for at the next level are Pierre Desir and Kyle Fuller

My pre combine rankings went: Dennard, Breeland, Fuller, Purifoy, Desir
Post combine: Dennard, Fuller, Desir, Breeland, Purifoy

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So u don't like Justin Gilbert @ all!!!

Nope, he's not an inside-out kind of guy. Taking away the routes to the inside(or middle) of the field should be 1st priority because they're much easier throws just because the ball doesn't have to travel in the air as long. Gilbert allows receivers to beat him inside

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
with top talent at WR, can't help think we'll end up drafting CB first? cause some of these quality WR's will fall to Round 2. nothing wrong with going CB first, just to now was only thinking WR being first.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
with top talent at WR, can't help think we'll end up drafting CB first? cause some of these quality WR's will fall to Round 2. nothing wrong with going CB first, just to now was only thinking WR being first.

hey deep, I dunno if you saw/cared, but I did a rough mock a cpl days ago post combine and ended up with 7 wr's in the first.. obviously not saying that will happen, but I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility at this juncture

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time the 49ers targeted WR and CB in the first two rounds and there was a bunch of 1st round receivers we ended up with Woods and Spencer. A Spencer type player I can live with but hopefully they end up with someone far better than Woods.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
hey deep, I dunno if you saw/cared, but I did a rough mock a cpl days ago post combine and ended up with 7 wr's in the first.. obviously not saying that will happen, but I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility at this juncture

yeah ok, there is always that possibility.

for me, do want us to get the player that fit best......at least TRY to trade up and get him. if that guy is a WR, still fine with me.

but if I had to place some money on it, now thinking the 49ers will select a CB first.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I forgot which thread that I might have said this, but don't be surprise if this special talent fell out of the first round. I know it's a far fetched situation, but do not be surprise if it does occur:

Anthony Barr - LB - Bruins

Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay has dropped UCLA edge player Anthony Barr from No. 16 to No. 28 overall.

Our own Josh Norris ranked Barr outside of his top-20 a month ago, but this is the lowest listing for Barr we have seen thus far. "He was just OK in the jumps that measure lower-half explosiveness, which matches up with the biggest issue I see from him on tape: He hasn't shown a lot of explosiveness or finishing ability," McShay writes. The Scouts Inc. evaluator does see potential in Barr "to get better."
Source: ESPN

Feb 28 - 12:10 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Carlos Hyde - RB - Buckeyes

Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay believes Ohio State RB Carlos Hyde compares to Houston Texan's RB Arian Foster.

"OSU RB Hyde's skill set similar to Arian Foster. Obviously size/power, but also lateral agility and body control to quickly get in/out of creases," McShay tweeted. Our own Josh Norris has compared Hyde to Zac Stacy and Frank Gore and believes he'll be the No. 1 senior running back selected.
Source: Todd McShay on Twitter

Feb 28 - 12:25 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Finally Mel. You've come to your senses.

Brandin Cooks - WR - Beavers

Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks debuted in Mel Kiper's big board at No. 17 overall.

"He now looks like an oh so slightly more athletic version of Tavon Austin, and Austin was a top-10 pick last year," Kiper writes. "Cooks won't go as high, but it's fair to say the combine numbers match the ridiculous productivity." The Beaver is a different type of receiver than many in this class, displaying the ability to win with quickness outside or in the slot.

Feb 28 - 11:56 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jarvis Landry - WR - Tigers

When asked about WRs who project best to the slot, NFL Films' Greg Cosell said he believes LSU's Jarvis Landry will absolutely be a terrific player in the NFL.

"And I think the slot is where he will do most of his work," Cosell added. The respected NFL analyst then suggested names like Brandin Cooks and Josh Huff of Oregon. "There's plenty of guys in this draft that can fill that role." Our own Josh Norris thinks Landry could be this year's example of Andre Ellington, in terms of evaluators freaking out about Combine times and results while overlooking a quality player.

Feb 28 - 11:26 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sammy Watkins - WR - Tigers

When asked about the Cleveland Browns need at WR, NFL Films' Greg Cosell said he would take Clemson's Sammy Watkins over any QB in this class.

"You know, they draft at four. And in my view, if he is there, I would take Sammy Watkins before I would take a quarterback," Cosell said on Colin Cowherd's show. "I think this is not a very good quarterback class, but I do think Sammy Watkins is that good." That last line is not a positive for teams with a quarterback need, as the NFL is coming off a somewhat down quarterback draft in 2013. Other reports have stated that the Browns want to draft Derek Carr with their second first-round pick.

Feb 28 - 11:05 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mike Evans - WR - Aggies

Texas A&M WR Mike Evans improved nine spots in Mel Kiper's most recent big board, jumping from No. 15 to No. 6 overall.

"Evans put together an exceptional combine with great speed and leaping ability for a player his size," Kiper writes. "No player in the draft is better on contested throws, and every quarterback wants a target like this." The long time draft analyst believes Evans is now likely to land in the top 10 picks.

Feb 28 - 10:58 AM